Author Topic: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN  (Read 16708 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN
« Reply #225 on: January 04, 2012, 06:31:26 PM »
I'm just wondering what the point of all this is. Aces High kicks the snot out of WoWP in all departments as it currently stands. Aces High also wails the stuffing out of WoT in all departments save number of vehicles, destructability of the enviornment (note: enviorment, not tanks. And our tanks, while having few ways in which they can break, break more realisticly), and BS answers.

And Skuzzy, do you play WoT? Just curious. Also while I have you on the line, is there any chance we could get the Nashorn?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #226 on: January 04, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
why?  the game will just suck until the last two minutes of your play time.

ack-ack

thread over.  :aok  :rofl
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #227 on: January 04, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »
Personally, I have yet to find a game, with so many models, do what Aces High does, while keeping the entire game under 300MB.  I am not saying there are not any, but I have not found one.

Out of curiosity: Why is it important to keep the game under 300MB?
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #228 on: January 04, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »
Otherwise I couldn't play.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #229 on: January 04, 2012, 11:33:30 PM »
My expectations are reasonable... I just want the Aces High download to feature this. I mean come on, the flatpanels we use are crap, we should expect more from HTC.  :D

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2012, 04:51:13 AM »
Well, seems every time a new flight game hits the market it is an "Aces High killer".  I remember when Targetware hit and we were "doomed", and then IL2 hit (along with several incarnations) and with each version, we were going to be "out of business".

There seems to be a never ending supply of people who want to proclaim Aces High is going to be killed by the next game.  They all come in here and talk about how we have screwed up so bad and how the next best thing is going to kill us.  They are happy to recite how we must change our business and are very willing to tell us what we need to do to stay in the game.  It is simply amazing how many people think they are experts in this field.

It is easy to sit back and act like you have all the answers, but when it becomes a matter of keeping a roof over your head and feeding your family, it takes on a different perspective.

Over the last 12 years, we have shown the industry we never rest on our laurels.  We challenge ourselves more than any other competitor could.  There is a passion at work here that is still alive and well.  One only has to look at how many times this game has been updated over the last 12 years to know that is true.

One of the most frustrating things to deal with are end users who measure the complexity and sophistication of a game by its graphics.  Anyone in the business knows great graphics is about artwork and a lot of it.  The underlying display code is trivial as compared to the amount of artwork needed.

A major cost, in our business, is the download size.  We have to be conscious of it.  End users are so used to just downloading whatever they want without worrying about that cost.  Who do you think pays for that?  We do.  There are other issues that go along with the size of the download, but those are irrelevant for the purposes here.  Resource management is what it ends up being about.  We could build a single airplane model that would swamp a 512MB video card.  How far would that take us?  You cannot make a slider which reduces the artwork for a model.  You would have to make different models to solve that one.

How many of those great looking cars are you going to see on a race track?  What is the actual view distance?  Again, resource management.  The fewer models you have in view and the less the distance, the more detail you can afford to add to them.

Personally, I have yet to find a game, with so many models, do what Aces High does, while keeping the entire game under 300MB.  I am not saying there are not any, but I have not found one.

^This.  I deleted what I wrote several times because I realized that if you "get it" than you do!  and if you don't...no convincing will work, even from..uhh HTC.

Which is why I like AH so much! Great community, and a this is the only game I can personally talk with the Company.

You can tell Hitech to F himself!, or skuzzy, or pyro...you'll probably be silent afterwards for an extended period :noid
...But what game has that kind of personal involvement?

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
Out of curiosity: Why is it important to keep the game under 300MB?

Re-read Skuzzy's post.  Specifically the parts about who absorbs the download costs...

Read slowly, put the computer on your head.  Perhaps you may absorb it by osmosis...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2012, 07:11:37 AM »
Bandwidth costs are not what they used to be.  Even so, there are many technologies like bittorrent that would minimize the expense further.  Large, as in multi gig downloads are the standard these days, not the exception.  There is always the option of separate high res packs like they do now.  What is lacking isn't the quality of the latest planes/vehicles although the old versions look painfully dated.

I've played the game over the last ten years but the poor game play and ugly terrain graphics take away from the experience.  The planes themselves look and fly better than most any other competing product.  
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:15:41 AM by rabbidrabbit »

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2012, 07:34:24 AM »
Last time I checked HTC offered to ship the game on a CD for a small fee. CCP does the same with EVE, and it's several gigs in size.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2012, 08:38:07 AM »
Re-read Skuzzy's post.  Specifically the parts about who absorbs the download costs...

Read slowly, put the computer on your head.  Perhaps you may absorb it by osmosis...

That is much needed in this thread, at 8:30 in the morning.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2012, 08:52:14 AM »
why?  the game will just suck until the last two minutes of your play time.

ack-ack

DOH!!   lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
Aces High better not go anywhere because I just ordered a new PC to play it on high detail :old
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #237 on: January 05, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »
Success will come not from how good you can polish a turd by using high end graphics, if the core/goal of the game suks the looks wont matter. 
If WOA can portray ariel combat better than what AH has, you will have your winner.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #238 on: January 05, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »
Success will come not from how good you can polish a turd by using high end graphics, if the core/goal of the game suks the looks wont matter. 
Tell that to Electronic Arts.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #239 on: January 05, 2012, 09:50:16 AM »
Tell that to Electronic Arts.
Here we go...