Author Topic: It is difficult to find a good fight...  (Read 1842 times)

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
It is difficult to find a good fight...
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »
...it is said by some, and they resort to dueling to find this "good fight". Well, I for one am not convinced. Granted dueling is a side of AH I have pretty much neglected over the years, because it is not my cup of tea, I like the squad thing and flying together with a team. My experience of dueling in AH may be somewhat limited, only done it twice since ~2002, but nevertheless this is my opinion. If you are to duel someone in a 1v1 or even a multi-ship engagement, make sure they understand the significance of a neutral starting position. Cheating the merge is a fairly easy and significantly decisive way to lure a less experienced pilot into a fight he can not win. Both times that I have dueled in AH I was facing merge cheaters, and they were pretending acting as if it was a non-issue.

I see this is typical behaviour of the AH player, and a fair fight even in a dueling arena is difficult to find. Forget about a fair fight in the MA, it's just not what the MA is about. The merge cheater is typically someone who is in it to win it, not to learn. This come at a cost of learning capacity, for those who cheat themselves are limited in growth potential.

So my advice to anyone who want to get into dueling, is that make sure you get what you look for. A clean merge is a must. If your adversary lack the courtesy to give you that, don't bother.

:salute

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
Re: It is difficult to find a good fight...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »
when you want a good fight.....to find a good fight.....Cocaine - Eric Clapton

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:01:14 PM »
...it is said by some, and they resort to dueling to find this "good fight". Well, I for one am not convinced. Granted dueling is a side of AH I have pretty much neglected over the years, because it is not my cup of tea, I like the squad thing and flying together with a team. My experience of dueling in AH may be somewhat limited, only done it twice since ~2002, but nevertheless this is my opinion. If you are to duel someone in a 1v1 or even a multi-ship engagement, make sure they understand the significance of a neutral starting position. Cheating the merge is a fairly easy and significantly decisive way to lure a less experienced pilot into a fight he can not win. Both times that I have dueled in AH I was facing merge cheaters, and they were pretending acting as if it was a non-issue.

I see this is typical behaviour of the AH player, and a fair fight even in a dueling arena is difficult to find. Forget about a fair fight in the MA, it's just not what the MA is about. The merge cheater is typically someone who is in it to win it, not to learn. This come at a cost of learning capacity, for those who cheat themselves are limited in growth potential.

So my advice to anyone who want to get into dueling, is that make sure you get what you look for. A clean merge is a must. If your adversary lack the courtesy to give you that, don't bother.

:salute

After dueling twice you accuse the typical AH player of merge misbehavior? Seriously?  Wouldn't you need a few thousand duels to make that statement credible?

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »
if you have only dueled twice in the DA you have no grounds talking about the cheating at the merge...

which I don't understand what you are talking about....you mean they fire at you on the merge :headscratch:

A good duel is when both parties try to get guns at the merge with out letting your opponent getting a gun solution....

the whole fly by each other with out maneuvering before the merge is lame and does not teach you anything.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
After dueling twice you accuse the typical AH player of merge misbehavior? Seriously?  Wouldn't you need a few thousand duels to make that statement credible?

That is a fair point, and yes I'm inclined to agree. However this is my experience, and my opinion. You are free to have an opinion of my opinion but that doesn't necessarily mean that I change my opinion to agree with your opinion now does it? Generally speaking, people whine about others and rarely [typically never] look at themselves. It becomes evident in a environment such as AH wherein players whine and gripe about being shot down, acting as if it was someone else's fault. So yes, in general I think this is a common attitude. It does not disagree with a small dueling community having fun with clean fights, but they would be a minority.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »
if you have only dueled twice in the DA you have no grounds talking about the cheating at the merge...

which I don't understand what you are talking about...

I think he is referring to the nature of performing a lead turn so early that the opponent is literally 90% off tail at the merge. Since there is little worry about anyone taking the shot at the merge, you can perform this ridiculous lead turn without worry. In the MA, such a lead turn would lead to a quick trip to the tower or at least have the risk of a tower trip to dissuade you from doing so.

That said, I enjoy dueling with good people and often against aircraft that are far more capable than my own, particularly in a tight 'phone booth' style fight.

the whole fly by each other with out maneuvering before the merge is lame and does not teach you anything.

Yes and no... if both opponents are flying the same aircraft, I disagree for the reasons stated above. Against dissimilar airframes, I'd agree. For example, a Hurricane vs a 190 at almost the same speed and altitude, the Hurricane wants to make the separation between the two aircraft at the merge as large as possible while the 190 wants to minimize it, to prevent the Hurri (with its lower wing loading) from having room to obtain angles.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:16:30 PM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »
How do you cheat on a merge?
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »
How do you cheat on a merge?
I'm assuming Vortex is talking about the other guy coming in at a alt different then his own.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »
Between two pilots of 'honour' it is a-given that both understand fairness and thus both know in order to preserve that they both must break right after passing, not before.

How you approach the merge is up to each pilot but for someone to break before the merge is to cheat and give in to the temptation of fighting just for "the win" and not "the fight".

As well, if you signal someone that you are going to engage in a merge and don't have altutide to match, that lies completely on you and not your opponent. <Most opponents of calibre will come down to your level to make up for this>

"Unwritten" understandings like that usually make up what is "cheating" and what isn't, your gut instinct usually is the best judge and jury in that regard.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:24:28 PM by Torquila »

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
I'm assuming Vortex is talking about the other guy coming in at a alt different then his own.
Ic, or even Maybe the turds who climb out and dive in before icon...(like we can't see you  :rofl)
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 03:16:43 PM »
I'm a big fan of deck merges because on that. They make for less wiggle room and take away the element of alt discrepancies.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »
 :noid :headscratch: :noid :headscratch: :noid :headscratch:
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 03:26:54 PM »
I'm a big fan of deck merges because on that. They make for less wiggle room and take away the element of alt discrepancies.
Lol, that's what I meant, the dive in on a set deck merge... (sorry for being vague)
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »
 :aok :aok Thanx Jo....you had me confused.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
:aok :aok Thanx Jo....you had me confused.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:D  :banana:  :bolt:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3