Author Topic: It is difficult to find a good fight...  (Read 1841 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: It is difficult to find a good fight...
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
That's fine Ink but not maneuvering until you make a level pass is also fine.  You just want to be clear on which rule you're following before you start.  :D

this I can except :aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 05:36:06 PM »
Cheating the merge is a fairly easy and significantly decisive way to lure a less experienced pilot into a fight he can not win. Both times that I have dueled in AH I was facing merge cheaters, and they were pretending acting as if it was a non-issue.

merge cheaters  :rofl

How does one cheat on the merge?  Or are you confusing a "cheat merge" with someone that actually knows proper merge tactics and you just don't?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
Very true, however the mentality in this game is different from what is taught at air combat schools. No big deal there, either. This is a game.

Then your compliant isn't that the typical behavior of the AH player is to cheat in duels with their gamer mentality, but that you don't like how duels are fought.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »

How does one cheat on the merge?  Or are you confusing a "cheat merge" with someone that actually knows proper merge tactics and you just don't?

ack-ack

:rofl :rofl

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 06:06:17 PM »
I wasn't sure where Turner was going with his OP because we did spend about an hour fighting the other day at his request.  

I thought all of the same plane duels were fair and under normal circumstances.   I was a bit  :headscratch: when he started asking for auto pilot passes but they had no effect on the end result.   I had the impression that he was going for altitude every fight so remained loose on the stick on most merges being unable to work enough position in height was his main problem.

I apologise if I misunderstood what you were asking for but I'm used to fighting and have a full closet of different styles to employ at any moments notice.   Trying to fly away from your opponent isn't really done but I knew this was going to be the state of play so I did not judge you on it at the time and did my best to let you re-engage without being completely on your six.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the P40 vs 190 fight and would love to do it again.   :salute

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 06:08:55 PM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »

ack-ack
This is what I thought.... But the opponent could called deck merge and then climbed until icon range and dove in with a load of extra E
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 07:08:08 PM »
This is what I thought.... But the opponent could called deck merge and then climbed until icon range and dove in with a load of extra E

That isn't merge cheating that is just lying lol.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »
Been to the dueling arena a few times................got horded by 11 enemy.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »
I don't do a lot of dueling but unless someone tells me other wise I operated under what I consider to be the "standard" dueling etiquette.  Take off, climb to the agreed upon altitude (not above), level, once you hit icons it's game on, maneuver as you see fit, first merge is guns cold.

Nice, simple, easy to follow.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:39:52 PM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2012, 07:32:37 PM »
  Take off, climb to the agreed upon altitude (not above), level once you hit icons it's game on, maneuver as you see fit, first merge is guns cold.

Nice, simple, easy to follow.

^^THIS^^         :joystick:
-AoM-

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »
It's obvious you haven't dueled much.  Allow me to provide some historical context.

Back in early Air Warrior you were able to arrange a private duel in the main arena.  You simply challenged someone, they accepted and you were alone in the arena.  It was common to take off from the same airfield in opposite directions.  Once you'd cleared icon range, or at a pre-agreed range, you'd turn to merge, most often with both players anouncing their turn.  As soon as you'd turned the fight was on.  As with AH today the first merge was guns cold.

Nothing has changed since then except you have to take off from different airfieds thus the set alt requirement prior to icon range.  Under the old arrangement each player had an equal chance to get alt so there was no requirement.

You were obviously under some type of misconception about how duels work.  There's really nothing different in a duel than in the MA except you won't get a face full of lead on the first merge and your opponent won't have a horde of buddies arrive to help.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2012, 05:21:22 AM »
There is a difference then in our understanding of dueling. On that note I am not in this for a forum fight nor am I in it for some kind of popularity contest. I still consider pre-merge maneuvering to be off limits for a straight up 1v1. It sets the fight to a neutral start making it more challenging for both ensuring that it is a matter of pilot vs pilot more so than plane vs plane. The classic start in a 1v1 duel of similar a/c types is a vertical climb immediately after merging that may develop into a climbing spiral until either plane stall.

You may proceed bashing me if you like, as if I care.

Edit: Bruv119, to say that one plane is allowed to take advantage of its strengths in a duel while the other isn't is pure mindless stupidity. Why don't you just set yourself up for some target practice then? Oh... well that's exactly what you do anyway isn't it. To prohibit a P51 or FW190 from extending during a duel is exactly the same as telling a spitfire it is not allowed to pull more than 3 G's. I am apalled that someone with your experience think that this would be a fair way to conduct a duel. Forgive me it's nothing personal I just react strongly to your claim that it would be 'fair' to effectively prevent a 190 from having a chance.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:32:36 AM by 33Vortex »

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 06:47:36 AM »
 The DA is worthless because it has F-3 mode. About every moron that comes to the DA is in F-3 and flying a perk bird he can't afford in the MA, spraying the sky with cannon like a garden hose so what is the point? It teaches you nothing.

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 07:11:43 AM »
- Each pilot takes responsibility for the condition/E-state they are in before commencing a fight.

- Approach to merge is solely based on pilots preference.

- Pilots either announce their turn over chat or by approaching the merge with their airplane in the pre-determined position; or they dont announce at all. Consecutive fights generally adopt the non-chat announcements for time-saving as you will find.

On a side note: While bruv119 is right, he is wrong as well. By principle the type of fighting that goes on here is generally down and dirty and more like wrestling then a joust. But in a duel it does not mean if someone wants to joust, that it is against the rules; just against the expectations of most pilots.

It is obvious that bruv119 wants to play into the idea of how great he is by trying to symbolically dictate the terms of the battle and thus winning before fighting in order to secure his idea of himself. Whereas his opponent in that example wishes to preserve his own idea of his flying skills by not giving in to bruv119's gesture but due to bruv119s reputation, such a stance causes him guilt because he feels the need to justify himself for the act against the collective awareness of who hes fighting.

If someone is serious about a duel they will agree on using the same plane with the same loadout and fuel to remove this possibility.

Peace out.

:airplane:

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 07:25:23 AM »
My experience was that I wanted to get a duel from which I could learn something. Fair enough the importance of coming to an agreement on how it was to be executed was underlined to me, but while dueling I felt the opportunity to learn was destroyed by the adversary's desire to just win the fight. I have not been active for 2 months roughly so knew I was unable to give it my best. Was looking for fun hoping to learn something from it while getting to know another player. None of my expectations were met really.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.