Author Topic: Linux port of Aces High  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
Linux port of Aces High
« on: June 04, 2012, 12:42:32 PM »
Please  :pray
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Re: Linux port of Aces High
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
Why?

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »
Why?

(Image removed from quote.)
so we can stop dealing with microsoft crap operating systems. and your chart is off a bit. the number of people running various distros of linux is a lot higher than what your chart shows.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:35:53 PM »
Please don't misunderstand me: I like using Linux.  But I can find no evidence anywhere on the i-net that it has hit even 2% of the desktop market.  (Linux obviously powers a lot of servers.)  If you have different numbers, please share.   :salute

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »
so we can stop dealing with microsoft crap operating systems. and your chart is off a bit. the number of people running various distros of linux is a lot higher than what your chart shows.

Actually depending on the statistics it may be a lot lower, around 0.7%. Linux is used basically everywhere and nowhere. Meaning it runs most of our webservers but practically nobody uses linux as a desktop.

Except exceptions like me (when I'm not on my MBP).
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 06:46:11 PM »
Actually depending on the statistics it may be a lot lower, around 0.7%. Linux is used basically everywhere and nowhere. Meaning it runs most of our webservers but practically nobody uses linux as a desktop.

Except exceptions like me (when I'm not on my MBP).
considering linux users are generally non-conformists who don't have the same habits as windows or mac users, you're estimation could be more off than that wikipedia graph. since there is no registration process or any way to document the total number of active linux systems, rough estimates is all you can get.

not sure how accurate this is since it probably includes servers in enterprise environments but...
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

one thing for sure, if new retail games got ported to linux, the usage of linux would seriously increase.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:47:42 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:06:09 AM »
considering linux users are generally non-conformists who don't have the same habits as windows or mac users, you're estimation could be more off than that wikipedia graph. since there is no registration process or any way to document the total number of active linux systems, rough estimates is all you can get.

not sure how accurate this is since it probably includes servers in enterprise environments but...
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

one thing for sure, if new retail games got ported to linux, the usage of linux would seriously increase.

The 0,7% rating comes from net statistics which bases the information on the OS identification given by web browsers. In that 1,6% servers may well be included - there are typically thousands of desktop pc:s for every server.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 07:35:23 AM »
I use Aces High with Linux all the time. Every day.
 :salute

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »
Several dsl modems and routers run on some sort of Linux without the owner being aware of it. Should they be considered as Linux users or not?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »

You sir, need your own sticky thread in this forum with tutorials, troubleshooting advice, etc.

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 01:13:08 PM »
I am waiting on the day when I can have my nice beefy system running a VMware type OS and download games as an appliance.  Boot up into an optimized Linux configuration running AH.   :devil
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »

How do you get it to run properly? Last time I tried it was 20fps slideshow vs same machine pegged at 59fps on windows. Using fglrx.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
How do you get it to run properly? Last time I tried it was 20fps slideshow vs same machine pegged at 59fps on windows. Using fglrx.

He didn't say he had it running well!  :noid

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »

There are a lot of variables, but LINUX and Wine have recently advanced to the point where it's practical, even on tired, old, marginal hardware.  Today, for some testing, I used an old laptop computer that I bought, used, for U.S. $275.00 about 4 months ago. It's a Lenovo T61 "Thinkpad" with nVidia Quadro NVS 140m video graphics and a 2.4Ghz Core 2 duo Intel processor and 2GB of RAM. (I always use nVidia graphics with Linux.) That's not a lot of computer for today's Aces High, whether using Windoze or Linux.

I used the current version of PcLinuxOS, updated to the latest version of the "Wine" windows emulator (V1.4-1).

I installed "Wine" directly from the PcLinuxOs repository, more-or-less as described in this (slightly outdated) tutorial:

http://www.askmisterwizard.com/LINUX/PcLinuxOs2008Minime/SwitchingToPcLinuxOs2008Page04Full.htm

Installation of Aces High was absolutely routine; I ran "wine" at its defaults with no special tweaks at all.

I ran at 1024x768 resolution, with 1024 textures. For my first set of testing I was using the well-known "ndisles" terrain, which displays an attractive overcast of clouds.

My favorite old version of Aces High is Version 2.12.4. I like that version because it supports LAN "H2H" mode which I use in my home when visited by my grandsons. It's also the best version for offline missions, because the "bots" fly more aggressive, more inspired combat. Using that version, I get framerates between 30 and 60 FPS with the graphic set at mid-range and with Ground Detail Range maxed out. The framerate always maxes out at 59 or 60 whenever I climb above 4,000 feet or so. The general feeling is "bright", lightweight, smooth, and responsive.

With the current version of Aces High (V2.27.6) that same machine yields framerates between 29 and 55, only if I diminish graphic detail (Object Detail and Ground Detail Range) all the way down. I have to disable all of the following: Detailed Water, Detailed Terrain, Object Self Shadow, Shadow on Others, Buildings Cast Shadows, Bump Map Buildings, Bump Map My Vehicle or Plane, Bump Map Others Vehicle or Plane. Sitting in the tower at ndisles, I am getting 29 to 32 FPS, depending on the position of the offline bot "drones" flying within view. While flying with graphics diminished to that level, the framerates never dip down to a level that compromises game play or the feeling of flight. It just barely manages to stay above the levels at which I begin to worry, even down very low over airfields with several other nearby aircraft. Combat above 5000 feet is perfectly smooth, with framerates maxed out at 59 or 60.

Using a different terrain that doesn't have any clouds, those framerates increase by about 15%.

The most advanced thing I've done is a recent development. It required a lot of study and patience, but I've managed to create a "Boot DVD" (and also, most recently, a "Boot Flash thumb drive") that will bootstrap almost any modern computer to a version of LINUX that fully supports Aces High 1, Aces High 2, YsFlight, and TeamSpeak. It's very cool, and I carry those tools with me all the time so I can easily evaluate any used computers I'm tempted to buy.

Anyway, I hope this information helps others that want to migrate to Linux. It's a great adventure. In general, I find LINUX far easier to understand, install, and support than Microsoft Windows. The performance of Aces High II yields, perhaps, 60% to 70% of the framerate I would be getting with a native Windows environment. In my experience, almost any PC or laptop built during the past 4 or 5 years has adequate power if equipped with nVidia graphics. According to the PcLinuxOs documentation, this should also work with ATi graphics, but I've found those graphics cards are a lot harder to get working reliably with Linux.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »

There are a lot of variables, but LINUX and Wine have recently advanced to the point where it's practical, even on tired, old, marginal hardware.  Today, for some testing, I used an old laptop computer that I bought, used, for U.S. $275.00 about 4 months ago. It's a Lenovo T61 "Thinkpad" with nVidia Quadro NVS 140m video graphics and a 2.4Ghz Core 2 duo Intel processor and 2GB of RAM. (I always use nVidia graphics with Linux.) That's not a lot of computer for today's Aces High, whether using Windoze or Linux.

I used the current version of PcLinuxOS, updated to the latest version of the "Wine" windows emulator (V1.4-1).

I installed "Wine" directly from the PcLinuxOs repository, more-or-less as described in this (slightly outdated) tutorial:

http://www.askmisterwizard.com/LINUX/PcLinuxOs2008Minime/SwitchingToPcLinuxOs2008Page04Full.htm

Installation of Aces High was absolutely routine; I ran "wine" at its defaults with no special tweaks at all.

I ran at 1024x768 resolution, with 1024 textures. For my first set of testing I was using the well-known "ndisles" terrain, which displays an attractive overcast of clouds.

My favorite old version of Aces High is Version 2.12.4. I like that version because it supports LAN "H2H" mode which I use in my home when visited by my grandsons. It's also the best version for offline missions, because the "bots" fly more aggressive, more inspired combat. Using that version, I get framerates between 30 and 60 FPS with the graphic set at mid-range and with Ground Detail Range maxed out. The framerate always maxes out at 59 or 60 whenever I climb above 4,000 feet or so. The general feeling is "bright", lightweight, smooth, and responsive.

With the current version of Aces High (V2.27.6) that same machine yields framerates between 29 and 55, only if I diminish graphic detail (Object Detail and Ground Detail Range) all the way down. I have to disable all of the following: Detailed Water, Detailed Terrain, Object Self Shadow, Shadow on Others, Buildings Cast Shadows, Bump Map Buildings, Bump Map My Vehicle or Plane, Bump Map Others Vehicle or Plane. Sitting in the tower at ndisles, I am getting 29 to 32 FPS, depending on the position of the offline bot "drones" flying within view. While flying with graphics diminished to that level, the framerates never dip down to a level that compromises game play or the feeling of flight. It just barely manages to stay above the levels at which I begin to worry, even down very low over airfields with several other nearby aircraft. Combat above 5000 feet is perfectly smooth, with framerates maxed out at 59 or 60.

Using a different terrain that doesn't have any clouds, those framerates increase by about 15%.

The most advanced thing I've done is a recent development. It required a lot of study and patience, but I've managed to create a "Boot DVD" (and also, most recently, a "Boot Flash thumb drive") that will bootstrap almost any modern computer to a version of LINUX that fully supports Aces High 1, Aces High 2, YsFlight, and TeamSpeak. It's very cool, and I carry those tools with me all the time so I can easily evaluate any used computers I'm tempted to buy.

Anyway, I hope this information helps others that want to migrate to Linux. It's a great adventure. In general, I find LINUX far easier to understand, install, and support than Microsoft Windows. The performance of Aces High II yields, perhaps, 60% to 70% of the framerate I would be getting with a native Windows environment. In my experience, almost any PC or laptop built during the past 4 or 5 years has adequate power if equipped with nVidia graphics. According to the PcLinuxOs documentation, this should also work with ATi graphics, but I've found those graphics cards are a lot harder to get working reliably with Linux.

Thanks, I've been using linux for years now but haven't ever been able to reproduce the stories about gaming performance. Must be because I use ATI cards and nvidia is the only one working properly on linux. Or then the stories need to be taken with a grain of salt :)

I ran AH2 latest version with default settings 1680x1050 with C2D 2,2Ghz + Radeon 4850 - this produced a very choppy and glitchy image quality and bad stutter every time you press fire. Same machine runs AH2 with Windows 8 consumer preview absolutely smooth and flawlessly.