Author Topic: Pilot experience and skill level  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Pilot experience and skill level
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »
Stats aren't everything in terms of skill though.

I was hesitating to use the word "skill" in the title for that very reason. I still decided to do so because in the end this is not about individual skill but about a general 'level' for thousands of players.
There are a lot of things that even out at the end.

---

On another note, I just want to emphasize again that "4-6" doesn't necessarily mean a player in that group has been playing for that long only - just that the pilot ID had been active that often within a year. While most players probably spent their time consecutively, there are also players that have been in AH for many years but are only playing once every few tours.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
:x Really? I mean... really?  wow............ :O Gotta give it them for the tenacity though.  :salute

You have a valid point.

Us "top scores" often belittle the abilities of the "mindless masses", yet without players actually willing to stick around despite being mostly 'victims', the game wouldn't be there.
And again it shows why I think that other ways to 'win' in this game are so important.

This thread wasn't started to show "look how much they all do suck" and to feel great about my/our own mad skillz, but rather to bring the unknown Mr Average to the spotlight.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:10:01 PM by Lusche »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 04:20:25 PM »

Going by the chart that started this thread (the green lines) the hit% is under 3 until they get over 6 months, then hitting 4 after the first year.

Fugi I could see that in the chart but I was thinking it might be skewed because Lusche was using a slightly different graph,working towards a different objective.

I was looking at it from a different point,an overall average that doesnt include 2 weekers.Although if it was easier just an overall average hit% would do I suspect.

Really I only want to have my facts straight so as to not pass on the wrong information.

:salute

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 04:26:21 PM »
I was looking at it from a different point,an overall average that doesnt include 2 weekers.Although if it was easier just an overall average hit% would do I suspect.

The average fighter hit % of all pilot ID's that have been playing for at least 3 tours out of 12 was 4.15, while the median was 3.6

Really I only want to have my facts straight so as to not pass on the wrong information.

That values are fluctuating a bit anyway, and only give a kind of general rating. As you can see it even makes a difference if you take the average of if you take the median (I'd say the latter one is more meaningful)
And even more difficult is to judge an individual student's hit % against that number, as when looking at an individual player you have to take into account his choice of planes and targets. 10% can be quite bad if someone is shooting at bombers only, while the same 10% can be quite good when flying a fast bird like a tiffie in a furball.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:30:31 PM by Lusche »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »
  Thx Lusche! :aok

I'll go with the median,3.6 rounded off to 3.5! :rofl :rofl :rofl

It's more about building confidence than comparing as I'd only advise a player to compare their own stats.  As we all know anyone can skew the stats.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »
Be nice Zoney
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:27:28 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 04:56:02 PM »
Skill cant really be judged only on how much the given person have played but rather on how he/she played.
Also i know oldtimers who have a good K/D but would die in 1v1 in just a couple turns, yet others who die just as much as kill, they would still sweep the floor with me.
Many things can be numerized, but skill isnt amongst them. I would rather call it "effectiveness".

Eh, its just a matter of the eyepoint anyway. What do you call skill? Im just a d**k again, sorry.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:02:00 PM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 05:10:59 PM »
The only statistic (fighter stats only) I've even remotely considered as a measure of a players skill is kills/hit percentage.

<S>...-Gixer
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:14:24 PM by Gixer »

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »
Really ? Gosh I wish I had your superior attitude and powers of observation.  How much fuel did I have?  How much damage did I have?  Was there a squaddie asking me for help somewhere else?  Was my wife calling me and I went AFK ?  Was I hunting for buffs and someone called them out?

By the way, I have flown a P47N, not a P47M, this entire tour except for one flight the first day, so it was not me.  Please return to drawing cartoons where you can tell us all how to play and your opinion of our gameplay in such a subtle fashion.

LOL!!! Your right, it was an "N" model, but the rest of the story is true. Check out the film http://www.mediafire.com/?mp28yggr3djsrwc As for all the other "excuses" thats all they are, excuses. But thats ok! If thats the way you want to fly go for it, to me it is boring and not worth the time to do it. Heck mowing my lawn is more fun than extending out of icon range.

You may be very good at that style of fighting....if thats what you call it. The point is that if your flying/playing this game wouldn't it make sence to try and get better at it? Too many players are hiding behind the crowd.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »
The only statistic (fighter stats only) I've even remotely considered as a measure of a players skill is kills/hit percentage.

<S>...-Gixer

Agreed but even they can be "gamed"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 05:55:38 PM »
I'd rather see that breakdown by years not months.  I'd like to see how the progression goes through years 1, 3, 5 and 10.  My guess is the results would be very different and that, for the most part, the more tenured players are the ones getting a majority of the kills.

I know I'm better than average against the arena as a whole.  I'd like to know what the averages are for my tenure group though.  My guess is against that group I'm average at best.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »

Not even just in gaming it, imagine two pilots. One of them likes to fly cannon birds and do alot of strafing of ground targets.  The  other prefers a Pony and furballing.  Neither are gaming but one  scenario is far easier to have a better hit %

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »
Can someone give me a short dumb version of what Snail Just posted.  :P
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »

Yes, which is why I used the word remotely.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »
Stop it Zoney
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:26:56 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.