Author Topic: A20 Tie Fighter Mystery  (Read 19902 times)

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
Re: A20 Tie Fighter Mystery
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2012, 01:07:22 PM »
I would rather see eny change or what htc did with C hog. Same plane just perked. Though if C hog is just a f4ud with 20mm why does it have different ords loadout? But -1 for perked ords.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »
I would rather see eny change or what htc did with C hog. Same plane just perked. Though if C hog is just a f4ud with 20mm why does it have different ords loadout? But -1 for perked ords.
Why don't you like the idea of perked ords?  It wouldn't be all ord options.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2012, 02:08:48 PM »

I have nothing to add Just upping my post count  :bolt:
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2012, 06:31:15 PM »
I really hate the idea of dropn ords and losing perks for it

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
It wouldn't have to work that way.  It could still be a "land the airplane and get the perks back."

Also, how do you drop 20mm cannons, which have been the subject of each suggested perk loadout here?
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2012, 07:11:35 PM »

Maybe when ammo runs out, you throw the barrels at the enemy ? :rofl

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2012, 06:55:43 AM »
1) In the current perk system you deposit perks when getting the plane out the hangar. You get them back if you return it (See Karnak above).

2) What do you use your perks for? they are next to useless, unless you are a 262 griefer.

3) Not all ord are suggested to be perked. Smaller bombs will be free.

Perked ordnance is one of the best suggestions that are not implemented yet.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
It wouldn't have to work that way.  It could still be a "land the airplane and get the perks back."

Also, how do you drop 20mm cannons, which have been the subject of each suggested perk loadout here?
was always talk of perking ords ei the 40 500lb on b-29, 1000lb load outs on US fighters ect. thats only reason i says no to perkn ords even if its a gun package. + i think would be easier for them to just take a20 add 20mm and have new plane thats perked.  vs adding a perked ords system. but im now 100% on that but it does seem that way

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2012, 07:56:18 AM »
why should it be perked with 20mm cannons , mosquito are still a better fighter with same options as the A20.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2012, 08:00:54 AM »
why should it be perked with 20mm cannons , mosquito are still a better fighter with same options as the A20.

maybe but it doesn't have 3 lives, F3 views, and 8*500lb bombs
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »
maybe but it doesn't have 3 lives, F3 views, and 8*500lb bombs

A-20s don't have bomb sights, and hence, don't have a formation option. Bostons do. However, Bostons only carry four 500 lb bombs and only have four .303 MGs in the nose. Bostons (an older version of the A-20) have fabric covered control surfaces, which are not nearly as effective as the A-20G's metal covered surfaces.

The advantage of the A-20, aside from better control forces, is the six .50 cal MGs in the nose. It hides E better than any other aircraft that can dogfight. They simply don't look like they're carrying as much speed as they can be. When the red icon guys goes vertical, they're often very surprised to find the A-20 still there and sometimes.... Closing. Yet, the A-20 can scrub E very quickly. I dropped in behind a fleeing Dora last evening, about 600 yards behind. The Dora pilot did the worst thing he could have done... He chopped power and maneuvered to force an over-shoot. If you could make fly a Dora backwards, it still couldn't burn off E quicker than the Havoc.

I've said it before... If one engages an A-20 and the Havoc pilot has good skills and knows his airplane, the other guy can not afford to fly lazy or he will get hammered.

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »

Because if it isn't perked then all the A-20Gs you see will have the quad 20mm cannons, completely drowning out the historically significant armament of six .50s.  The Mosquito is not comparable as 100% of Mosquito Mk VIs had four 20mm cannons compared to less than 10% of A-20Gs.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »

I've said it before... If one engages an A-20 and the Havoc pilot has good skills and knows his airplane, the other guy can not afford to fly lazy or he will get hammered.

:headscratch: I agree, I was commenting on the A20/mossie comparison.

IMO the only overpowered part on the A20 is the hit points. I just can't find a reason for it to be able to soak 40mm hits, while other twin engined planes like the 110 can't take any.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »
Yes Cobia38 & others who use differential throttle controls to slow the inside turn and speed up the outside turn. They do a similar trick in Lancs & other big gangley birds.  :aok saw one beat several fighters in a row down deep in a canyon one day.   :salute

Has nothing to do with differential throttle.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
Yeah, as a guy who used dual throttles for years - I can tell you it does not help your turning ability one bit. It will help you roll slightly quicker and it allows you to execute cleaner hammerheads.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B