Author Topic: A20 Tie Fighter Mystery  (Read 19952 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: A20 Tie Fighter Mystery
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2012, 12:33:17 PM »
How are its usage numbers now?

I could create a more detailed comparison later, but the A-20 is indeed seeing a lot of usage as the games' #1 airborne GV killer

2011 numbers: (excluding LVT / PT)

A-20 44,553 GV kills
Il-2 31,769
P-51D 25,410
(...)
B-25H 10,199
Bf110G 9,103
Mossie VI 7,467
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:38:32 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
So it seems the A-20G already see more use than the Bf110G-2, Me410, Mosquito Mk VI and B-25H combined, at least in the anti-GV role.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
So it seems the A-20G already see more use than the Bf110G-2, Me410, Mosquito Mk VI and B-25H combined, at least in the anti-GV role.
Adding a quad of 20mm cannons to it will reduce the incentive to use those other aircraft even more and thus reduce diversity.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »
Here we go:

A2G category includes kills of an deaths by PT and LVT, and also deaths by (ship or field) gunner
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2012, 02:10:55 PM »
How good could it be if a Stuka can kill it?

:devil
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
Adding a quad of 20mm cannons to it will reduce the incentive to use those other aircraft even more and thus reduce diversity.

People aren't choosing the A-20G for its guns or performance now, so it must be the large payload and F3 view. Giving it better guns won't change much I think. People choose the Mossie and 110G for their performance in addition to great guns and good payload. I don't see that changing much either.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2012, 06:33:25 PM »
How good could it be if a Stuka can kill it?
(Image removed from quote.)

:devil

Well, even a blind pig finds the corn now and then.... ;)

The other evening, I spent the better part of the evening using and A-20 to furball at A39 on the Trinity map. Lost three to fighters (mostly picks by the guys otherwise afraid to get into the fight). I lost two more to a Wirbel and an Osti while furballing near the enemy GV spawn. And, I lost three on the rearm pad to vulchers. I guess because that's the low risk way to get kills when you're a nervous bowl of Jello. One offender, after strafing me on the rearm pad in his Spit14, had the nerve to send me a <salute>!! No salute for you.....  :rolleyes:
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »
But Widewing, I'd happily strafe ya on the rearm/runway   :devil Ok, maybe not, much more fun fighting in the air - win or lose (I generally lose, but have fun doing so)

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2012, 04:19:22 AM »
One offender, after strafing me on the rearm pad in his Spit14, had the nerve to send me a <salute>!! No salute for you.....  :rolleyes:
"I dove on an A20 for the attack. It wad very low and slow, practically 0 speed and alt just going over the rearm pad in its base (hiding in the acks the coward). The A20 pilot even pulled the dirty trick of lowering the gear to slow down even more - must be an ace flying this one I thought. I kicked full rudder and while fighting Spit14s accelerated stall, buzzer whining in my ears, I managed to get a shot in just before over shooting. He reversed me! I pulled up hard nearly hitting the structures next to the rearm pad. I looked back in fear, expecting to see the A20 zooming after me like a UFO, but I must have hit the cockpit because to my relief I saw it explode. Then came the happy text message:
System: you have show down Widewing #1

I gave him a salute for the brilliant trick with lowering the gears, but he did not <S> back the snob. Probably rage quit."

This is his side of the story. Just tell it like it was.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
"I dove on an A20 for the attack. It wad very low and slow, practically 0 speed and alt just going over the rearm pad in its base (hiding in the acks the coward). The A20 pilot even pulled the dirty trick of lowering the gear to slow down even more - must be an ace flying this one I thought. I kicked full rudder and while fighting Spit14s accelerated stall, buzzer whining in my ears, I managed to get a shot in just before over shooting. He reversed me! I pulled up hard nearly hitting the structures next to the rearm pad. I looked back in fear, expecting to see the A20 zooming after me like a UFO, but I must have hit the cockpit because to my relief I saw it explode. Then came the happy text message:
System: you have show down Widewing #1

I gave him a salute for the brilliant trick with lowering the gears, but he did not <S> back the snob. Probably rage quit."

This is his side of the story. Just tell it like it was.

I don't fly as Widewing, haven't for two years... I fly as TredLite. As I saw the Spit angling in to strafe, I firedwalled the throttles and kicked rudder in an attempt to throw off his shot. I barely got off the rearm pad before I got clobbered...

Same guy, a bit later... I rearm, and roll to the runway. As my wheels lift, I see a Dora heading straight at me. I haven't the speed to have any chance to evade, get clobbered again. Later, I was smacked on the rearm pad again by a different guy.

Now, if this was a base capture attempt, I would not complain. That's the price one pays trying to get airborne under those circumstances. What we had here was the typical in-between base furball, that moved back and forth from the edge of one base to the other. Getting picked in a target rich environment is prime hazard of furballing. I can live with that, it goes with the circumstances. However, diving past a dozen red icons to vulch is simply bad form, IMHO.

Note, I have not mentioned the offending player's handle. However, he's a regular on these boards... I won't mention his name either. It would serve no purpose.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »
Widewing, you need not explain, that was a joke.
I need to install a new humor plugin.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »
However, diving past a dozen red icons to vulch is simply bad form, IMHO.

I've done that before out of pure frustration although it's been several years.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »
As I saw the Spit angling in to strafe, I firedwalled the throttles and kicked rudder in an attempt to throw off his shot. I barely got off the rearm pad before I got clobbered...

You were on tarmac, why didn't you just .ef ?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »
You were on tarmac, why didn't you just .ef ?

I had evaded an inept vulcher earlier, and figured I might get lucky and evade that one too... Besides, it never occurred to me to just tower... My stupid.... ;)
My regards,

Widewing

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2012, 12:54:50 PM »
Yeah, I always try not to give vulchers a free kill. Wait until they're engaged by ack and then I .ef immediately. ;)