Author Topic: Where have all the players gone?  (Read 13836 times)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Re: Where have all the players gone?
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »
Poor terrain and atmospheric graphics as well as shallow and stagnant gameplay covers most of it.  The plane models are actually pretty good. 

I'd imagine something along these lines.. 

First, keep the current MA's like they are and add a test bed MA where the current terrain engine can be pushed.  Allow users to submit objects within certain guidelines to let them do much of the work for you. 

Second, add a system similar to WOT where each battle earns exp and credits and ordinance/repairs cost credits.  Allow free play at substantially reduced credits/exp per battle.  Premium accounts ($15) per month players get full use of current MA setups so those who want the same old same old can continue on without interruption. 

Develop Squad Wars arenas.  Open to those who worked up the trees.  These arenas are player built in that squads can build a base by dropping supplies within reasonable guidelines.  Bases are built up by dropping additional supplies.  Supplies are also needed to repair damage from attacks.  This creates a dynamic arena where squads have something to build and defend.  Some reason to participate in the game.

This system gives people reasons to build and participate in squads which are the core of what makes AH great.  It's human interaction that makes the game great.  Give them the challenge or grinding up the tree for the end goal of building their own piece of the world as well as the the dynamics of diplomacy/war and you will have something.  Just a pipe dream though.  I'm pretty sure the status quo is here to stay.

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2013, 03:07:42 PM »
I love this game, i came over to ah from fighter ace as soon as i learned about its creation around 2000-2001. I didnt know about the lawsuit does anyone know more about it? I hope all works out well for htc. They have excellent user interaction and really do listen to user input. Im sure another new commercial will bring in more subscribers. I haven't had the time to play as much as i used too but when ever i can, I log on and play the best WW2 sim ever created "Aces High."  I love the air combat and i love the GV game. Nothing needs changing IMHO, the game with continue to grow: new maps will be made, new planes and tanks will be added, tweaks in game play will happen and AH life is good.  :airplane: :joystick:

Offline Paladin3

• Copper Member
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »
Then you should check out WarThunder and IL2 both of which have much more control over the aircraft - ie vents and turbochargers and such. They allow a more experienced pilot to do a lot more with their aircraft. They are also much better looking graphically, which is one of the first things reviewers and other younger gamers look for. You have to keep up or something will replace you.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »
Then you should check out WarThunder and IL2 both of which have much more control over the aircraft - ie vents and turbochargers and such. They allow a more experienced pilot to do a lot more with their aircraft. They are also much better looking graphically, which is one of the first things reviewers and other younger gamers look for. You have to keep up or something will replace you.
that's not aircraft control, it's engine management...their flight models are arcade accurate so you don't need to be able to control the aircraft, everything fly's as easy as a spit5...and warthunder's control system is designed for keyboard/mouse or console game controller.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Paladin3

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2013, 05:03:50 PM »
Exactly, you could couple that. I am just saying, upgrade or the market will do what the market does.
You don't see coal burning trucks anymore do we? No because they are outdated.

I want AH to update graphics and update the plane set and the controls we have to fly those aircraft. I want a viable game for years to come. I know we have lost many to WT for sure and others I suspect.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »
I want AH to update graphics and update the plane set and the controls we have to fly those aircraft. I want a viable game for years to come. I know we have lost many to WT for sure and others I suspect.
you want engine management? lol, probably not going to happen. the plane set is getting updated and added to on a very regular basis. you probably don't understand the difference in the amount of work involved when a new plane is added. if it's a totally new model, the flight characteristics of the plane needs to be worked out and tested so that it's not just another arcade shooter with a painted face. warthunder is a curiosity right now...just like world of warplanes. the biggest draw is that it's easy and free. anyone who has deluded themselves into believing any part of it is realistic should seek professional psychiatric help.

perfect example of how totally out of sync with reality the devs at warthunder are...he-112 v5, b-0, b-0, never saw service.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:23:49 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2013, 05:25:10 PM »
You don't see coal burning trucks anymore do we? No because they are outdated.

:huh

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »
that's not aircraft control, it's engine management...their flight models are arcade accurate so you don't need to be able to control the aircraft, everything fly's as easy as a spit5...and warthunder's control system is designed for keyboard/mouse or console game controller.
You obviously haven't flown in the FRB (Full Real Battles) arenas recently.  A year ago I would have agreed.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »
You obviously haven't flown in the FRB (Full Real Battles) arenas recently.  A year ago I would have agreed.

Having played Wings of Prey (predecessor to War Thunder, same thing pretty much except offline) on full sim mode, the flight model never felt as...."fluid" as AH. Now, I never flown a plane so I wouldn't know if it's realistic, but some of the more advance manuevers that you can pull in AH, you can't do it in WoP and I assume you can't in War Thunder either. That's not to say it's not fun, it still plenty is, and I clocked well over 150 hours in Wings of Prey, it's just comparing apples to oranges. AH *feels* realistic without ever having flight experience. Same for Rise of Flight. War Thunder/Wings of Prey *feels* arcadey. But both flight styles are fun in their own right.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Paladin3

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »
you want engine management? lol, probably not going to happen. the plane set is getting updated and added to on a very regular basis. you probably don't understand the difference in the amount of work involved when a new plane is added. if it's a totally new model, the flight characteristics of the plane needs to be worked out and tested so that it's not just another arcade shooter with a painted face. warthunder is a curiosity right now...just like world of warplanes. the biggest draw is that it's easy and free. anyone who has deluded themselves into believing any part of it is realistic should seek professional psychiatric help.

perfect example of how totally out of sync with reality the devs at warthunder are...he-112 v5, b-0, b-0, never saw service.

No I want AH to be viable and continue. No need for the condescending tone. I have some idea that it is a great deal of work. I also figure that is what they do, just like what I do is a great deal of work. I am voicing an opinion. Not saying it is right or wrong, just saying what I think is happening.

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
Sony Computer Entertainment is basically grovelling to get more indie devs to make more games for PS4.

methinks HTC should also make this game for PS4 via Playstation Network to bring in some fresh blood.

New generations of consoles such as PS4 will have longer longevity.  In fact, Sony Computer Entertainment is projecting 10 support for PS4... and what's radically different compared to past Playstations is that PS4 will use PC architecture.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2013, 06:02:59 PM »
Sony Computer Entertainment is basically grovelling to get more indie devs to make more games for PS4.

methinks HTC should also make this game for PS4 via Playstation Network to bring in some fresh blood.

New generations of consoles such as PS4 will have longer longevity.  In fact, Sony Computer Entertainment is projecting 10 support for PS4... and what's radically different compared to past Playstations is that PS4 will use PC architecture.

How do you fly AH with a PS4 controller though? Unless they pull a Mechwarrior and issue a joystick with every purchase.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2013, 06:03:31 PM »

Dear ... Cod .... no.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2013, 06:07:29 PM »
Dear ... Cod .... no.

(Image removed from quote.)

Well hell, howdy Arlo  :salute

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »

semp