Author Topic: P-63 KingCobra......again  (Read 43553 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: P-63 KingCobra......again
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2013, 02:49:47 PM »
I don't think anyone is suggesting the 63 is top of the list.  Vinkman is a fan.  I am too having grown up near an airport where a KingCobra was based.  First warbird I ever saw up close as well as in flight.

It is worthy of inclusion at some point.  It isn't one of those automatic no birds.

There are others I'd like to see sooner starting with the Beaufighter.  But I won't mind a KingCobra if it ever shows up.
:airplane: Thanks Guppy, for making a senseable suggestion about the org op.  :salute
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2013, 02:54:23 PM »
:airplane: Thanks Guppy, for making a senseable suggestion about the org op.  :salute

:salute :)

It IS a nice plane.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2013, 03:13:10 PM »

Look how gorgeous this bird is!! Come on now...honestly...who doesn't want to fly one? Hmmm?  ;)
Who is John Galt?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »
Well, a P-39 it ain't.  ;)

:lol

:salute :cheers:

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Look how gorgeous this bird is!! Come on now...honestly...who doesn't want to fly one? Hmmm?  ;)

Looks like triple redundancy to me   :lol
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »
Looks like triple redundancy to me   :lol

Shouldn't you be asking him if he's ever been to Little America and since he's not really adding anything to his own thread that he should just leave?

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »
Shouldn't you be asking him if he's ever been to Little America and since he's not really adding anything to his own thread that he should just leave?

Hey your the one that said posting cool pictures of the P-63 was redundant <shrug> Have some more  :aok

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:09:59 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
Hey (you're) the one that said posting cool pictures of the P-63 was redundant <shrug> Have some more  :aok

No, I said it wasn't adding to the discussion, which was a qualifier of yours as to whether
someone should be posting in Vink's thread.   :aok

Ever been to Harlem?  :lol

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2013, 05:30:36 PM »
I think too many wish listers want to collect warbirds like Porcelain figurines.

:lol

Does that make perked and ENY'd planes the Beenie Babies?
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2013, 05:35:59 PM »
No, I said it wasn't adding to the discussion, which was a qualifier of yours as to whether
someone should be posting in Vink's thread.   :aok

Ever been to Harlem?  :lol

I've seen the Globetrotters.............. twice!   :rolleyes:  

Triple view

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:53:39 PM by Megalodon »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2013, 05:51:48 PM »
I've seen the Globetrotters.............. twice!   :rolleyes: 

Triple view

I didn't ask if you've seen the Globetrotters.

Thanks for reminding us what a P-63 looks like.  :D

Wait, I've forgotten again.

:D :aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »

Nice but disingenuous....

Wasn't being disingenuous.  A German AA gunner, especially during this period of the war with the Soviet drive to Berlin, would have been very hard pressed to tell the difference between a P-39 and a P-63.  Hell, even Allied fighter pilots had a tough time telling the difference between Allied and Axis fighters and you think a German gunner that was probably a young teenager or an elderly man with rudimentary aircraft identification training would be able to spot the minor visual differences between the P-39 and P-63 that is attacking them?

As I mentioned before, if you're going to argue for the inclusion of the P-63, you better use better arguments than using an A2A encounter that may or may not have happened or the rumored use of the P-63 over Germany in the final months of the war.  A smart man would use the fact the P-63 did conduct ground support missions during Operation August Storm to argue their point to get the P-63 added instead of unverified claims.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »
The info I recall is that the Soviets just thought the conversion to the P-63 by P-39 Regiments with the ETO war in its final weeks was more trouble than it was worth so they just didn't bother. Not hard to beleive considering the power of the Red Air Force at the time and the dwindling #s of Luftwaffe aircraft to be found. You don't need P-63s to strafe troops and such.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:55:12 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2013, 10:04:26 PM »
Wasn't being disingenuous.  A German AA gunner, especially during this period of the war with the Soviet drive to Berlin, would have been very hard pressed to tell the difference between a P-39 and a P-63.  Hell, even Allied fighter pilots had a tough time telling the difference between Allied and Axis fighters and you think a German gunner that was probably a young teenager or an elderly man with rudimentary aircraft identification training would be able to spot the minor visual differences between the P-39 and P-63 that is attacking them?

As I mentioned before, if you're going to argue for the inclusion of the P-63, you better use better arguments than using an A2A encounter that may or may not have happened or the rumored use of the P-63 over Germany in the final months of the war.  A smart man would use the fact the P-63 did conduct ground support missions during Operation August Storm to argue their point to get the P-63 added instead of unverified claims.

ack-ack

This late in the war, it was easier for a russian to identify a Tiger tank from a tree. However for a German, the biggest problem is you have to consider how many LIVING soldiers are left alive. Not everyone can put a book out like stephen ambrose. I made the argument a few times using living pilots who said the C.205 used drop tanks and it was unnoticed. Fact is can you anyone take the word of one "pilot" over a theater of pilots? No. A normal gunner in berlin during 1945 is not going to tell the difference been a stuka or a B17. I'm pretty sure they are given the basic instructions on how to spot and aircraft and just start blasting away.

What little information there is, is not going to be posted if it hasn't been posted already. Considering how late in the war is, the russians wouldn't bother since they never kept records either. What records the germans did keep (and were great at it) were probably burned at this point.

Without facts, its hard to say, the winner usually keeps good records as for the russians - they never bothered.

JG 52

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »
This late in the war, it was easier for a russian to identify a Tiger tank from a tree. However for a German, the biggest problem is you have to consider how many LIVING soldiers are left alive. Not everyone can put a book out like stephen ambrose. I made the argument a few times using living pilots who said the C.205 used drop tanks and it was unnoticed. Fact is can you anyone take the word of one "pilot" over a theater of pilots? No. A normal gunner in berlin during 1945 is not going to tell the difference been a stuka or a B17. I'm pretty sure they are given the basic instructions on how to spot and aircraft and just start blasting away.

Without facts, its hard to say, the winner usually keeps good records as for the Russians - they never bothered.

Do you think the Germans could tell what it was if they shot 1 down?

No doubt they won... we had to stop them from winning to much ... How could they not for all the support <Lend Lease> we gave them during the war :rock  ...

I think they still have the records.... the question is ...will the information be reveled in our lifetimes?

I think that Red Stars 7 has some other info I been looking for .... and its still affordable.

:cheers: