Author Topic: About the new terrain  (Read 8246 times)

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
Re: About the new terrain
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2013, 01:45:28 PM »

I don't know of any console game that I've played for almost 20 years.

loads of people are still playing street fighter 2 EX

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2013, 01:36:48 AM »
Nobody said anything about the source code. Much like every other software you BUY you are allowed to use it but not allowed to edit it or distribute it. AH software is the same but you don't have to BUY it....hence free.

You continue to fail to see the point. AH as a product is an online game. The client is all but useless for anyone without the online part. So they're not giving anything for free. People can download and use the client for free, sure. But it's not a functional product all by itself. In software world 'giving away' means allowing users to use and redistribute a functional piece of software or even access its source code. Allowing users to download a client for a web service is not considered as giving anything away for free :)

Also when you BUY software, you BUY the source code. You do not BUY any other software, you pay for the limited or unlimited right to use. In fact when you think you're BUYING a cd record from the shop you don't even get to own the media in reality.

I also never said what my definition of growth is either. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what HTC's definition of growth is either. I just suggested what some peoples idea of growth may be. The point is "technology" doesn't seem to be the issue with the game right now.

I would suggest you to stop and study the definition of growth. Investing is not growth, in fact quite the opposite if it doesn't produce positive returns.

Let's say a company makes now 1000 bucks a month. They invest to a fancy new server which costs 7000 bucks. If they still continue to get only 1000 bucks a month they've basically just lost 7000 bucks which is negative growth due to hardware depreciation.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »
He is right :old:

In ROF if you discussed how 777 studios should run its affairs at best you just ignored  :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2013, 04:14:04 AM »
mrripley give it up dude, everybody can see that fugitive is right.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2013, 05:21:36 AM »
mrripley give it up dude, everybody can see that fugitive is right.

semp

:rofl
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2013, 05:31:44 AM »
:rofl 15 years.  :rofl

Ok, perhaps not 15 years but DirectX9 was released in 2002 and AH reportedly now uses a PART of its features at 2014. So 15 years is not that far off as far as Dx support goes.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2013, 05:53:55 AM »
The key thing as far as HTC are concerned is to get the maximum improvement for the minimum loss of existing customers. HT has said less than 20 existing users of the game will be affected by the change to Shader 3.0 and judging by what we've seen and read so far, many players will be getting a major improvement to the look of the game.

I bet lot more players than 20 would be lost to the game if they went beyond DirectX 9 and effectively obsoleted any PC running Windows XP. Would you get as many more customers to replace those lost with whatever extra eye candy you could add? Somehow I doubt it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2013, 06:12:58 AM »
The key thing as far as HTC are concerned is to get the maximum improvement for the minimum loss of existing customers. HT has said less than 20 existing users of the game will be affected by the change to Shader 3.0 and judging by what we've seen and read so far, many players will be getting a major improvement to the look of the game.

I bet lot more players than 20 would be lost to the game if they went beyond DirectX 9 and effectively obsoleted any PC running Windows XP. Would you get as many more customers to replace those lost with whatever extra eye candy you could add? Somehow I doubt it.

Only HTC knows the statistics of XP users. Given that all sort of support for XP is either ending or dropped, supporting it is a dead end regardless of the fact. Put it this way: With new technology you have the potential for a lot of customers. With old technology your potential is growing smaller every day but you get to keep the few old customers which probably use antiquated hardware if they still run XP. It's like knowing you're going to break up with your old girlfriend eventually but refuse to start dating again. No win situation.

Our company is in a similar situation at the moment. We have a lot of existing clients who use the old engine which allows them to run local databases. But that technology is a dead end so we're simply forcing our users either to update to our cloud services or find some other provider instead. Since there is no alternative for them they either return to manual job, find a competing product (which we know will be a decade backwards for them) or upgrade. We're going to lose some customers over this for sure - but not doing this would have killed our business in the long run.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:19:42 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2013, 06:43:42 AM »
Marketing.  You have to love it.  There is not a 3D graphic feature available in DX11, which cannot be done in DX9.

In the meantime, this thread has wandered a long way from its intended path.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2013, 07:14:43 AM »
Marketing.  You have to love it.  There is not a 3D graphic feature available in DX11, which cannot be done in DX9.

This surprises you? I rarely see a thread that doesn't go wonky at somepoint, thisone isn't too bad
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #175 on: November 29, 2013, 07:15:22 AM »
Are we going to get something like this (Image removed from quote.)
with new terrain engine?
warblunder...lol small lil bitty rooms with bad flight models and intense graphics :banana:

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #176 on: November 29, 2013, 07:53:56 AM »

But as far as I understood the new DX versions enable you to do the same things with less bottlenecks and higher efficiency. DX11 is supposed to enable easyer and more efficient multicore use for example.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #177 on: November 29, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »
There are a lot of us WinXP users still around, fyi.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #178 on: November 29, 2013, 08:52:43 AM »

:lol But a lot that needed to be said.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #179 on: November 29, 2013, 09:03:23 AM »
You continue to fail to see the point. AH as a product is an online game. The client is all but useless for anyone without the online part. So they're not giving anything for free. People can download and use the client for free, sure. But it's not a functional product all by itself. In software world 'giving away' means allowing users to use and redistribute a functional piece of software or even access its source code. Allowing users to download a client for a web service is not considered as giving anything away for free :)

Also when you BUY software, you BUY the source code. You do not BUY any other software, you pay for the limited or unlimited right to use. In fact when you think you're BUYING a cd record from the shop you don't even get to own the media in reality.

I would suggest you to stop and study the definition of growth. Investing is not growth, in fact quite the opposite if it doesn't produce positive returns.

Let's say a company makes now 1000 bucks a month. They invest to a fancy new server which costs 7000 bucks. If they still continue to get only 1000 bucks a month they've basically just lost 7000 bucks which is negative growth due to hardware depreciation.

WOW!!! Twist-o-logic is on full power today!

If you can download the software for free, install it for free, download missions for free, and play those mission any time you want for free, it is FREE. There are a number of people on these boards doing just that.... which is a step up on you who doesn't even play any longer.

Again I didn't say I didn't agree with you about the growth. However YOUR opinion with what is growth for HTC may not be what HTC's opinion of what is growth. Thats all I'm saying. If it was my company there would be more techs working the coad to bring more technology into the game as well as changes in how things work in the game to bring about changes in game play. There would be a lot more advertising in magazines, on the web, and yes tv. I would have a team whose job it would be to bring in subscriptions, period.

But I don't run HTC, and neither do you. All we can do is suggest here on the boards or in an email to HTC and hope they read what we write. You on the other hand, with your blinders on tight come in here demanding, or barking about how bad HTC does things and then EXPECT them to bow down to your words of wisdom. Whos the fool?