Author Topic: I need some tips  (Read 1911 times)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
Re: I need some tips
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »
So if I install a hard drive do I need to stall a ssd drive also or is that optional?
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2014, 02:02:55 PM »
Here is a Newegg wish list for a i3 build.    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=25308886

This should give you good performance in AH. The case has room in the back for cable management. The video card has good reviews

for being a 192 bit interface. The Antec power supply is made by Seasonic. I have used the Vulcan memory and seems to work well.

I always prefer a sound card over on board sound. I never had any problems with a Intel network interface card (NIC).

I trust a cooler with a back plate and screws over those cheap plastic push pin boxed coolers.

Windows 7 Home Premium allows up to 16 GB of memory. If you chose to install more (which in most cases is over kill) you will need

Pro or Ultimate.

Shop around, look for combo deals on the CPU and motherboard. Be sure to check shipping costs. It may be the lowest price but you may pay a premium

for the shipping. and to add what MrRipley said, you will need to know how to operate a phillips head screwdriver.

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »
Optional, SSD's just makes operating systems and programs boot/load faster. Not needed for AH.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2014, 02:08:04 PM »
Ok so I should just stick with a 1-2tb hard drive and 7200rpm or 10000 rpm?

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »
I'm getting an idea slowly. How does the power switch works. Like for instance if I get a case how do I put a power button infront. All this stuff is making it hard for me, especially installing the DVD RW drives and such. I get the idea how to install a CPU, video card, fan for the CPU and DDR drives, I just need to learn more about the power supply, installing hard drives and such and the rest of the components for the machine.
You might want to carefully study a used computer to learn the basics the cheap way. If you lived within an evening's ride I'd like to donate you a couple of old XP rigs with an installation cd. I suppose there's plenty of happy donors in your neighbourhood, too, wanting to get rid of the old computer. Ask your neighbours, employer, school... A decade old PC might still work although it's value has dropped below zero and the construction hasn't really changed. Should you connect something wrong, the loss wouldn't be worth mentioning.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
I'm currently still shopping for a motherboard and CPU, can u guys give me advice on a power supply. I plan on using a i5 CPU and also some kind of HD video card with 2G. I will keep on board audio because that's not so important to me since I don't use surround sound. And also I will get a 1Tb hard drive with 7200rpm or 10000 rpm. Please let me know what else is needed to start the build. Oo I forgot about the 2 DDR drives I will be adding for addition performance.

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2014, 02:22:49 PM »
I do have a computer now which runs on windows Xp and its about 15 years old. That is the comp I am using ATM to play aces high and do other things with. The reason why I'm trying to get a new machine is because the comp is getting outdated and windows XP won't be in use anymore. When I start my build I will use the old machine as a reference. Also I think the motherboard comes with a information booklet so I can mark the plug points and know exactly where the parts plug in.

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »
Also I think the motherboard comes with a information booklet so I can mark the plug points and know exactly where the parts plug in.
Precisely. They always come with one, including pictures.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 02:57:04 PM »
I'm currently still shopping for a motherboard and CPU, can u guys give me advice on a power supply. I plan on using a i5 CPU and also some kind of HD video card with 2G. I will keep on board audio because that's not so important to me since I don't use surround sound. And also I will get a 1Tb hard drive with 7200rpm or 10000 rpm. Please let me know what else is needed to start the build. Oo I forgot about the 2 DDR drives I will be adding for addition performance.

The faster rpm your drive has the faster performance it usually has compared to other regular drives of the same capacity. The faster drive may put out more noise so if you care about noise levels you may want to pick the lower performance model instead.

Do not stare at video ram amounts in graphics cards! They tell absolutely nothing of the performance. Check the performance chart at tomshardware.com they have listed pretty much every mainstream graphics card to a list where lowest performing cards are on bottom and fastest cards on top: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

You'll find out that many '2G' cards are actually horrible performers.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2014, 03:14:37 PM »
Ok thank you for the heads up on the graphic card details. Can u tell me about a good power supply for the parts I listed above.

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »
Ok thank you for the heads up on the graphic card details. Can u tell me about a good power supply for the parts I listed above.

The graphics card will suck the most of your power so you have to pick your PSU according to your card selection. XFX black series and Seasonic are almost fail proof selection for PSU. All XFX blacks are built by Seasonic.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2014, 04:44:43 PM »
Another thing you can do is look at built systems and check out what they put in them. Many sites list the parts they use. Take the list to NewEgg and check the prices. The "Vanquish" computer I posted the link to was $700. When I priced out the parts from Newegg they were $675.

The plus side is you KNOW they work well together.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2014, 04:58:54 PM »
So it's better to just buy a ready built comp, $25 is not a big difference to me comparing 675-700.

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2014, 05:09:05 PM »
In this case maybe. Remember they buy in bulk so they get better prices. The point is you KNOW what to buy, they list it for you. You might find othet sites with list too. Google a couple of your parts and you should get some hits on companies selling those parts in a pre built computer. It just gives you a better idea how how much these things costs and sometimes what is better to buy in the long run.

As for the "Vanquish" computer it comes with a repair disk and free technical support. Bother things my brother in law likes as he has kids they love to mess up his computer.  :D

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »
I'm still debating. The reason why I wana buy a comp is because everything is installed for me and it saves me the labor. On the other hand building a comp might be way cheap since the parts add up to a lesser price. And also buying comps with hard drives with 1TB and i5core processor with top end motherboards and such cost way more than what u would expect to pay. By saying that I still gave a lot of researching to do. Especially what u said fugitive its good for me to check top computers and how much each part cost and see the differences.

6./JG 27- 109G-2