Author Topic: Terrain Editor  (Read 24414 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Terrain Editor
« Reply #405 on: February 08, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
Is it possible the conversion utility for AH2 terrains to AH3 sometimes mislabels objects?

Is there a utility that will pull a customizable search report of objects, field type assignment, by their common name like "Flak36" and what damage label has been assigned to them? Or is that a manual search through the dod file for the creator using Excel?

I was wondering about this with the recent mislabeled objects on CraterMA.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #406 on: February 08, 2016, 01:45:23 PM »
The TE doesn't list the individual objects on a field, it just treats the field as one big entity with a single setting of "groupmaster". The settings for individual items on the field like AA guns would have been set by HTC using the object editor. If there is a bugged object on the field it will effect all the fields of that type on every terrain.

The only difference I have seen between converted objects and newly created objects is spawn points and this was more to do with how they were displayed in the TE than how they worked in the game.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #407 on: February 08, 2016, 02:42:56 PM »
So what Hitech found was a Waffle....... :O :lol
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #408 on: February 09, 2016, 01:35:33 PM »
Several issues for the Terrain Tab

I recommend the following changes:

1 Change the Point Buttons from 'P' to 'Ph" for high and 'Pl' for low, or some other designation. (I will probably never use any of the sliders.)
2 In the angle text boxes, I'd set both defaults to 90 degrees. This will prevent accidentally painting the whole terrain with whatever terrain type is selected.
3 Most importantly, the Apply to All Terrain button should be dimmed and unselectable until at least one of the Enable check boxes is set.

Issues causing these suggestions:
When the TE first opens, or if you come back to the Terrain tab after making changes, and you click the Apply to All Terrain without changing any of the default settings, the whole terrain will be painted with whatever terrain type is selected. As there's no Undo for this, previous work since the last save will be lost.

When using the Enable Altitude Filter, if you use the Point buttons to set the Low and High point, and then click the Apply button without first setting the Enable Altitude Filter check box, the whole terrain is painted with whatever terrain type happens to be selected. I don't think either the Angle filter or the Altitude filter is causing this.

Unfortunately, the Undo command appears not to work with either of the filters, Altitude or Angle. Considering the global nature of the filters, I don't expect undo to work but this makes 'idiot proofing' for me, more important.

The default setting for the Angle range is zero to ninety degrees. I think I'd recommend changing this to ninety ninety. This way the whole terrain won't accidentally be painted if the Enable Angle Filter is set with the default values.

If I wanted to actually paint the whole terrain, with snow for instance, I could set the Altitude range from zero to thirty thousand feet, or I could set the Angle range from zero to ninety degrees.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #409 on: February 14, 2016, 05:41:32 PM »
What are the differences between "save" and "build"?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #410 on: February 14, 2016, 06:45:10 PM »
What are the differences between "save" and "build"?

Save , write the terrain to the disk in an editable fashion.

Build, creates a .res file that the game can read.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #411 on: February 15, 2016, 11:31:51 AM »
Thank you.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #412 on: February 15, 2016, 02:28:31 PM »
Whats the official meaning for these two Menu items?
(This is how I've written them up so far)

Level terrain on square objects   Globally levels the terrain verts for bases, towns and factories
  Set All Tiles to Terrain Height   Globally matches the terrain verts to bases, towns and factories

Are these primarily intended to support the Convert AH2 Terrain function? I ask because I haven't found either necessary when setting my square tiles.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #413 on: February 15, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
Whats the official meaning for these two Menu items?
(This is how I've written them up so far)

Level terrain on square objects   Globally levels the terrain verts for bases, towns and factories
  Set All Tiles to Terrain Height   Globally matches the terrain verts to bases, towns and factories

Are these primarily intended to support the Convert AH2 Terrain function? I ask because I haven't found either necessary when setting my square tiles.

First one is if you have modified the height map around square objects it does the vertex matching to the square object just as build or edit & apply tp an object does.

2nd is really only for after an import if you wish all the square objects raised to the terrain.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #414 on: February 17, 2016, 02:48:16 PM »
Does the terrain editor use your current graphics settings from the game such as how you set your gamma slider?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #415 on: February 17, 2016, 02:53:32 PM »
Does the terrain editor use your current graphics settings from the game such as how you set your gamma slider?

I believe it does.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #416 on: February 23, 2016, 05:24:43 PM »
If we get anymore tile changes, can Waffle just add in the herd of grazing little pink ponies with "Eat at Joes Crab Shack" painted on their sides? Then I can justify going nutz....... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #417 on: February 24, 2016, 03:04:25 PM »
These two tree\rock tiles transition very well. The yellow limestone up to 4500ft in this screen shot has characteristic trees growing from seems you see in some limestone formations. Then the next tile starting about 500ft down with grey and brownish highlights increases the percentage of the same trees while doubling as an active runoff "wash cut" fill down to sea level if needed.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #418 on: February 24, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »
So I get all the bombers out in a line on my field. Then I take a very close look at them all. They are in their damage model skin rather than the skin when you spawn. I was hoping to form two lineups together, bombers and fighters of all the WW2 aircraft in the game for photo ops to show what is in our stable. I doubt anyone outside of veterans to AH would appreciate looking at the damage modeling.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #419 on: February 25, 2016, 03:36:12 AM »
Don't look too close, your tanks are the same way.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001