Author Topic: review wep times, toughness values  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: review wep times, toughness values
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 07:41:30 AM »
As a concession to gameplay, like so many other things already in the game.   Make the bombers more important for bombing than fighters, instead of dropping a hangar in a fighter and then running all the way home on the deck.   

A single 100lb bomb would probably obliterate the real life equivalent of an AH fighter hangar.   Certainly destroying everything and everyone under the flimsy tin roof.

Bombing hangers is great fun in a P-38 and P47.  Lets not mess with that.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 01:26:38 PM »
The object value based on the percentage of a 1000lb bomb to destroy the object. Has nothing to do with reality, and everything to do with what Hitech thinks is a good value for game flow. Also Hitech has answered about WEP, the value expressed in the specific aircraft manual. And those tend to be about the usable operational period of the engine before a swap out. 110 hours was the benchmark time between swap out for many allied engines in combat zones the manufacturer had to meet.

The R2800 was tested for 8 hours at WEP and found to not have any problems. Merlins were found to show micro fracturing on components after being run at WEP for about 200hrs if I'm not mistaken. Combat engines had to be tough. The rules in the manual were to help get operational time out of the engine, not immutable red lines or the engine would die a catastrophic death taking the pilot with it. With exception to the 163.

About the only thing in this wish you may have a chance to gain a change, will be airframe toughness to damage.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 09:40:01 AM »
All Yak's  have unlimited wep in AH
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »
About the only thing in this wish you may have a chance to gain a change, will be airframe toughness to damage.

And probably not even that.  The damage model is based on real life effects of weapons versus air frame.  There are probably certain concessions to make it simpler our computers to calculate damage.  We might get some refinement there.  Damage versus ground targets is calculated for game play.  But damage to planes and vehicles is based on realism.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 11:34:39 AM »
The day you can convince me a 2000 kilo Yak3 can take more damage than a B17, then I'm all for it.
Bozon's thread below.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,369327.0.html
-Caldera

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 02:40:09 PM »
Use of WEP decreased the time between engine overhauls.  It rarely damaged the engine.  I am aware of numerous times these engines were run on WEP for far longer than the book's 5 minute limit.

Its a little weird that the MW50 of german planes recharge a lot faster than the slightly more opened throttles on the Merlin. The Merlin was not limited to 5 mins, it was advised that wep should not be used for more than five minutes.
And as stated there is absolutely no reason for having a 1:3 ratio on the spitfire and a 1:2 ratio on the pony. It was the same engine..
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 02:57:48 PM »
Its a little weird that the MW50 of german planes recharge a lot faster than the slightly more opened throttles on the Merlin. The Merlin was not limited to 5 mins, it was advised that wep should not be used for more than five minutes.
And as stated there is absolutely no reason for having a 1:3 ratio on the spitfire and a 1:2 ratio on the pony. It was the same engine..

They're not the same engine. 

They have different Mark/dash numbers.  Merlin XX vs Merlin 63/63A, etc. 

The Mustang is actually being penalized as it did not have a WEP time limit.  So to make up for that it gets a better ratio.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:04:55 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 03:18:52 PM »

The Mustang is actually being penalized as it did not have a WEP time limit.  So to make up for that it gets a better ratio.

The Mustang did have a WEP limit and it was 5 minutes.

In the section of the P-51 pilot manual, for the WEP operation steps, #4 reads, "Use War Emergency Rating for 5 minutes maximum."

http://s91.photobucket.com/user/Major_Sharpe/media/NorthAmericanP-51D-5PilotsInstructionsb27_zps2a5302ef.jpg.html

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 03:20:54 PM »

Pony D had the Packard Merlin 1650-7, that was a license build version of the Merlin 66 fitted in Spit IX. They have the same type of WEP.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 04:32:59 PM »
The Mustang did have a WEP limit and it was 5 minutes.

In the section of the P-51 pilot manual, for the WEP operation steps, #4 reads, "Use War Emergency Rating for 5 minutes maximum."

http://s91.photobucket.com/user/Major_Sharpe/media/NorthAmericanP-51D-5PilotsInstructionsb27_zps2a5302ef.jpg.html

Regardless, and Karnak notes, if the WEP is throttle-based and not injection based, the only thing "stopping" you is engine damage.

My question: if you take identical Merlins and install them in two different airframes with two different cooling systems (both different capacities and efficiencies (ie, temp drops across the rad), doesn't it only make sense that the "time to damage" would differ?

There are engines, and there are "engines as installed". We typically talk about the cooling pack as part of the latter.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 04:40:23 PM »
Regardless, and Karnak notes, if the WEP is throttle-based and not injection based, the only thing "stopping" you is engine damage.

My question: if you take identical Merlins and install them in two different airframes with two different cooling systems (both different capacities and efficiencies (ie, temp drops across the rad), doesn't it only make sense that the "time to damage" would differ?

There are engines, and there are "engines as installed". We typically talk about the cooling pack as part of the latter.

If you read my post it was in response to Vraciu's claim that there was no time limit on the length for WEP in the Mustang.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »
The WEP stuff kind of seems to me a gameplay concession.  Bustr's previous posts about the lengths of time Merlins were shown to run on WEP settings kind of make the idea of the engine being damaged by WEP pretty silly.

It would radically change the game if you put them all to behave realistically, with the additives running out and that's it, while the ones that were merely at a higher setting would essentially run forever in game terms.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 04:54:59 PM »
I havent found any differences in WEP-limit between UK and US "Merlin-fighters" max recommended wep time 5 mins and then 10 min "cooling" time.

The WEP stuff kind of seems to me a gameplay concession.  Bustr's previous posts about the lengths of time Merlins were shown to run on WEP settings kind of make the idea of the engine being damaged by WEP pretty silly.

It would radically change the game if you put them all to behave realistically, with the additives running out and that's it, while the ones that were merely at a higher setting would essentially run forever in game terms.

Wiley.

Having the WEP-cycles are just fine, but spits should not have the bad ratio they have in the game.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 05:18:33 PM »
I havent found any differences in WEP-limit between UK and US "Merlin-fighters" max recommended wep time 5 mins and then 10 min "cooling" time.

Having the WEP-cycles are just fine, but spits should not have the bad ratio they have in the game.

Possibly a gameplay concession?  Different planes gain different amounts of benefit from WEP.  For example, a low-fuel P47 stallfights a metric buttload better if WEP is available.  I'm not familiar enough with the spits offhand, but it wouldn't surprise me if they gain a lot from WEP as well.  Might be part of the thought process?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 05:28:15 PM »
MW50 equipped radials have 10 min wep and 20 minutes recharge.
A8 use another system for WEP, but have same values.

MW50 WEP on liquid cooled planes differ from plane to plane.
TA152 has the best WEP recharge in game.

-Caldera