Author Topic: "Resupping is more effective than upping a tank or plane to defend"  (Read 15886 times)

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: "Resupping is more effective than upping a tank or plane to defend"
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 09:15:06 AM »
Who said I was shooting low slow targets traveler?  The reason I am posting in here is due to a lack of fights,  not the lack of vulches.

If you are so obsessed with m3s and being important in a historical aspect,  maybe we should only get one cartoon life per month?  I dont think you know much about how I play,  or for what reasons.  I come on and inmediately look for the largest enemy dar bar.  If there is none,  i will switch countries.  To have fun in a cartoon game,  not fly through manned guns to blow up a hut.

You will see that when new guys return to try AH3,  they will quickly leave again if the gameplay stays stale and hasnt changed.

Pretty graphics is a bandaid on a broken bone.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 09:17:01 AM »
:x

Stop moaning and suck it up

It's not broke it only that it did turn out how you wanted to be :)
:huh

Did you quote the wrong post? 

What I think we have here is a case of "lazer" focusing on one little problem because someone is choosing to not play the way someone else thinks they should, so a game change MUST be needed. 

The resupply addition caused the players to change their behavior, and it's clear some weren't happy with that because they wanted things to stay the way the always were.  It's a matter of perspective. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
Who said I was shooting low slow targets traveler?  The reason I am posting in here is due to a lack of fights

A question arises, then:  Why bomb the radar?

- oldman

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 09:23:12 AM »

What I think we have here is a case of "lazer" focusing on one little problem because someone is choosing to not play the way someone else thinks they should, so a game change MUST be needed. 

The resupply addition caused the players to change their behavior, and it's clear some weren't happy with that because they wanted things to stay the way the always were.  It's a matter of perspective.

You've played awhile,  if you can say you enjoy the game more now than 10 years ago,  you would.be lieing.

Garbage gameplay & large maps are two of the biggest causes of the lost population.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 09:38:55 AM »
Pretty graphics is a bandaid on a broken bone.

Alas, I was (and still am) one of the players that never thought the graphics were bad. I'm all about stuff like adding battleships and torpedoes on destroyers. There's still a dozen or so planes I'd like to see added (adding a bomber and tank for the Italians wouldn't be a bad thing). The AHIII graphic update has been a long and grueling process for HiTech and company and I appreciate all their hard work but I anticipated the squeaky wheels that asked for it not having the patience for the undertaking. Having said all of that, it's the players that make the sandbox what it is in the end.

This was merely a case of players using the toys as they were designed and no amount of coding can completely force behavior one way or another (killshooter being perhaps the only example of success). If a side grows to overwhelming horde strength and ENY impacts their plane selection do you see players switching sides to balance? No, they'll come to the forum and complain that the ENY system is totally unfair (usually because they claim there are too many tower sitters ... which doesn't affect their ability to switch). Oh but there's the 12 hr rule! Not that anyone on the horde squads have switched sides in over a year.

So, how do you force air to air fights? You don't. You might be able to arrange them, however. It might take more than advertising a strike and hoping the players on the other side care. Sell it. Contact actual squadrons and arrange some MA melees. It especially takes on some immersive fun factor (to me) if the squads prefer rides that rivaled each other in WWII. Granted, it's hard for VF-17 to arrange such, there being no IJ squads flying in the MA. We might be tempted to take on different personas (from either side).

Take charge of the fun and spread it around.  :cheers:

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »

:)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 10:16:44 AM »
Alas, I was (and still am) one of the players that never thought the graphics were bad. I'm all about stuff like adding battleships and torpedoes on destroyers. There's still a dozen or so planes I'd like to see added (adding a bomber and tank for the Italians wouldn't be a bad thing). The AHIII graphic update has been a long and grueling process for HiTech and company and I appreciate all their hard work but I anticipated the squeaky wheels that asked for it not having the patience for the undertaking. Having said all of that, it's the players that make the sandbox what it is in the end.

This was merely a case of players using the toys as they were designed and no amount of coding can completely force behavior one way or another (killshooter being perhaps the only example of success). If a side grows to overwhelming horde strength and ENY impacts their plane selection do you see players switching sides to balance? No, they'll come to the forum and complain that the ENY system is totally unfair (usually because they claim there are too many tower sitters ... which doesn't affect their ability to switch). Oh but there's the 12 hr rule! Not that anyone on the horde squads have switched sides in over a year.

So, how do you force air to air fights? You don't. You might be able to arrange them, however. It might take more than advertising a strike and hoping the players on the other side care. Sell it. Contact actual squadrons and arrange some MA melees. It especially takes on some immersive fun factor (to me) if the squads prefer rides that rivaled each other in WWII. Granted, it's hard for VF-17 to arrange such, there being no IJ squads flying in the MA. We might be tempted to take on different personas (from either side).

Take charge of the fun and spread it around.  :cheers:

Exactly and well put Arlo.   Lazer is good people and lives for the fight, but does not come here with conflicting posts like you had said.   (I know you were not implicating Lazer, but the rest of the community which is so true.)

Excellent posts from the both of you to be honest.   They are at least constructive criticisms of the current state of the game.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:25:42 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
OMG can't resist....A whine thread has been recorded!  :ahand
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 10:20:03 AM »
You've played awhile,  if you can say you enjoy the game more now than 10 years ago,  you would.be lieing.

Garbage gameplay & large maps are two of the biggest causes of the lost population.
I'm not sure how you propose to know how much I enjoy the game.  I fly with the AK's, the best group of guys anyone could be associated with. Every time I log in, I have a blast!

My advise to you is get out of the perk rides, challenge yourself and stop worrying about stuff others enjoy and find your own enjoyment.  If you can't do that, talk to HTC directly.  He may enlighten you to things you aren't thinking of.  Coming here with your myopic view makes you look bitter.

YMMV  :cheers:

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
Yak9T
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 10:43:06 AM »
OMG can't resist....A whine thread has been recorded!  :ahand

YES!!!!  :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 10:49:11 AM »
As long as others are willing to make boring object resupply runs, I'm all for it. More targets for me.

I play this game for fun. That said, I don't run object supply runs because I don't find it fun.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
Outside totally objective point of view, I play purely for fun as well, my time is limited, take one look at my stats and you can confirm that, ugghhh.

Things blowing up, bases being taken and bases being saved.  Its all good fun and its what keeps me coming back.  The one thing in these debates that I personally would like to see are smaller maps.  The fights are there but the numbers are smaller and the fights are smaller sometimes. Concentrate the fight even if just a bit, make it more challenging to take those bases more defenders more attackers in one area.
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
Whether you chose to play or not is up to you.  I happen to think that the resupply effort pretty much matches the resupply effort of WWII pretty well.  You could kill the M3's or C47's or take out Barracks and or VH at the fields resupplying.  That action might force uppers for other defending fields.  But you would rather pick a slow moving aircraft just upping from the field you are attacking.  Makes you a great stick.

You sir are totally off base here, Lazer is a long standing player and is always fighting the good fight. 

Why should a squad or team spend hours flying extra long distances just to pork a field (which is incredibly mind numbing, yet easy task) just so that some dweeb can't resupply his town.  I have to wholeheartedly agree with Junky and Lazer on this matter, it is killing combat 24/7 and even moreso off hours.   How can 2-3 guys go and pork as you suggest when they already have to bomb a town with <30 minute DT's, kill guns and cover defensive planes and gvs.  Before you say hit the strat that is another 90minute flight!!!

It is a simple fix really just remove the ability to magically resupply town buildings only.    That way you preserve the supply line aspect and remove what I find to be an un-realistic gimmick.   You didn't see Coventry or Dresden rebuilt in 10 minutes!

I have been in the situation many times and covered the spawn, the dweeb gives up after 1 or 2 tries and then grabs a bloody wirble to sit there and still not save his base and avoid upping an aircraft at all costs! 

Most of us haven't got the luxury to sit and play all day anymore and I believe this to be the biggest downfall AH has to overcome.  It needs to deliver action quicker and more consistently.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »
It needs to deliver action quicker and more consistently.
Maybe I am wrong, but doesn't AH 3 have this accommodation?