Author Topic: What's with these "Millenials"?  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: What's with these "Millenials"?
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »
Sign of getting old: Whining about younger generations.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2016, 11:45:40 AM »
I was at a family reunion this past weekend and as family reunions go, an argument began. As the best available sample there from this generation, the attention was focused on me. Now let me back up a little

Back in June, Laura Bush visited a production of an outdoor musical that I volunteer at every year. Being in the cast/crew section, Mrs Bush approached us with her secret service detail, and upon her approach, spontaneous applause broke out among the cast and crew.

Now fast forward back to my family reunion. When asked if I met Mrs Bush, I said no but I did see her. I mentioned everybody clapping and one of my more outspoken relatives asked if I joined in. I said no. When asked why I stated that she hadn't said or done anything besides prove she could exit a vehicle and walk to the edge of the stage. This was immediately met with several "this generation is the problem...no respect... ". This kind of irritated me. Was I rude?  I don't think so. Was I polite?  I believe I was as polite as I could have been since we never actually spoke. I respect her as much as I would anybody else. I generally try to be polite and respectful to everybody. That's how I was raised. I listened to her speech, although I wasn't terribly impressed, I gave a polite applause and went about my business. I was told that I should applaud everything she does because her husband was the president. I replied that I wouldn't applaud George W for his walking and waving skills if Laura had been president. Does this make me part of our country's doom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
Branch put it this way, I would have applauded due to what I consider the polite thing to do, although I admit if it was someone else I may not have.  Each circumstance is different through out any generation, as long as you know why your doing what your doing individually not because the group does it  I suspect it had more to do with politics but don't want to get political and get the thread dumped.
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2016, 01:04:31 PM »
You would applaud the first lady, guy.  This is out of RESPECT for her, her family, and the country.  While you are a bit young to understand what she has done, your not to young to get smacked behind the head.  For perspective sake you need to understand, she is a mother; she presented herself, her family, her country with class;  Her family has been ridiculed beyond comparison to almost anyone in a history book.  And, you could not write down five things she did in her life.  :old:

Like all children, you will gain your knowledge with experience.  :old:

RESPECT!

:salute

P.S. Its politics.  :rofl  :bolt:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:07:11 PM by NatCigg »

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2016, 01:12:45 PM »
I will be the first to admit that I don't know much about her. When she was the First Lady I was in Jr. High and high school. I NEVER said I didn't respect her. I was taught better than that. If I knew more about her I'm sure I would have done differently. Let's be honest. What high school kid gives a crap about politics?  And you are right she is a classy lady from a classy family, but that's about as far as my knowledge of her goes.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2016, 02:19:37 PM »
Wow, it's funny, but I'm with branch. The ability to exit a car doesn't really deserve applause. It's not a lack of respect, it's a matter of context. After a good speech I will certainly applaud. But applauding just for someone walking up just sounds silly to me.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »
Wow, it's funny, but I'm with branch. The ability to exit a car doesn't really deserve applause. It's not a lack of respect, it's a matter of context. After a good speech I will certainly applaud. But applauding just for someone walking up just sounds silly to me.

Bull if the old or young brain doesn't analyze the situation any faster or different than that you're missing 3/4 qtrs. of the situation at hand, although I'll admit many would applaud a sports figure for just getting out of the car, I wouldn't, nor an actor or an actress

Maybe its got something to do with whether or not I "Think" they think they deserve the applause for just getting out of the car.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:07:40 PM by Hungry »
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »
I am a retired boomer, I still do flight instruction and deal with young and old alike.  With the new requirements for pilot training and such it falls on the CFI to ensure via proof of ID and citizenship before we can actually start providing flight lessons to a student pilot applicant. 
I teach via CFR 14 Part 61 and I provide written lesson plans via the FAA   that require both the student and I to affix our signatures to the bottom of each completed lesson plan.  I actually have several young student that can’t at the age of 18, can’t sign their name in cursive.  It seems that some or all of the schools have stopped teaching students how to write in cursive.  I wonder what the banks are doing?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2016, 04:12:56 PM »
I never really understood the cursive writing thing. Yes I was taught how, and yes I can, but I don't.  My signature looks like garbage but so do most people's. It's harder to forge that way.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2016, 04:30:52 PM »
I never really understood the cursive writing thing. Yes I was taught how, and yes I can, but I don't.  My signature looks like garbage but so do most people's. It's harder to forge that way.

Actually, it is easier to forge.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
You know it and I know it, you're no good Branch. Don't be upset that your family is on to you.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2016, 06:11:24 PM »

Well until the FAA tells me that they will accept the printed name, the documents must be signed in cursive.  So Every student pilot applicant that I teach I have to teach to sign their name.  Some have a flair for it.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2016, 07:13:35 PM »
I am a retired boomer, I still do flight instruction and deal with young and old alike.  With the new requirements for pilot training and such it falls on the CFI to ensure via proof of ID and citizenship before we can actually start providing flight lessons to a student pilot applicant. 
I teach via CFR 14 Part 61 and I provide written lesson plans via the FAA   that require both the student and I to affix our signatures to the bottom of each completed lesson plan.  I actually have several young student that can’t at the age of 18, can’t sign their name in cursive.  It seems that some or all of the schools have stopped teaching students how to write in cursive.  I wonder what the banks are doing?

Is funny you run into that issue, as I'm 23 and write almost exclusively in cursive. Military forms are tough for me, because I have to focus on not slipping from block letters into cursive lol. But then again, I also prefer to write with a fountain pen. I'm weird.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:18:56 PM by Serenity »

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2016, 08:24:21 PM »
Is funny you run into that issue, as I'm 23 and write almost exclusively in cursive. Military forms are tough for me, because I have to focus on not slipping from block letters into cursive lol. But then again, I also prefer to write with a fountain pen. I'm weird.

I think the difference is that you were educated in how to write and my issue is really with the school system that is around me in the state of NJ.  It appears to me that they have short changed these young people.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2016, 10:10:52 PM »
I think the difference is that you were educated in how to write and my issue is really with the school system that is around me in the state of NJ.  It appears to me that they have short changed these young people.

Very true. Even in my school system it was VERY rare. I just had one AP English teacher in high school that insisted everything hand-written be in cursive, and ever since it's stuck!