Author Topic: Trees at the end of the runway  (Read 7052 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Trees at the end of the runway
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 11:28:34 AM »
1. Pick runway carefully, preferably at or near SL and with a downslope or no trees down the way for a LONG time. Also pick loadout carefully.
2. Use WEP.
3. When you get off the ground, you have to fight for airspeed, not altitude. The more you pull back, the more you slow down, then you start losing altitude. It is very painful but you have to climb tediously foot by foot. Once you finally get above say 160 IAS then you are climbing at a slow rate, but it is much more manageable. I usually wait until I'm at 3k AGL for me to go afk.

What flap configuration?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 11:43:09 AM »
What flap configuration?

I don't like to use flaps in this game, seems to cause more problems than help you with this flight model, they eat up speed. I may use one or two hits of the flap button. I suggest you practice and figure out what works best for you. Be VERY CAREFUL when pulling the flaps back up, you will start to drop badly. So make sure you have good altitude to start taking them off.

For the B-29, a technique I use for some trickier airfields is to start takeoff roll without flaps, because you need SPEED. Be very careful with your AoA, speed is key. If you need just a little bit more of a boost to help clear something, as more of an emergency measure if anything, then I will deploy a bit of flaps to help me clear the obstacle. But it is a double edged sword. You need speed, flaps kill your speed, so now you have to fight hard for speed and altitude so you can get just enough altitude to take off the flaps so you can go to autopilot and finally go on break to go grab a beer.  :cheers:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2020, 11:44:36 AM »
I don't see why you wouldn't be taking off from A1 for your strat run anyway.  :headscratch:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »
Sure it takes planning and scouting to find a suitable B-29 field NOW, but does the game have to continue to be that way?

Still not an HT problem. I suppose a terrain designer could submit a map where B-29s easily could take off anywhere. But, seriously, why would they? They are obviously strat bombers and cost perks. Take off from a large field to the rear of the front, climb to the stratosphere and head to the enemy strat of your choice.

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »
Still not an HT problem.

Who chooses the maps? It's an obvious QC problem.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2020, 12:40:27 PM »
Who chooses the maps? It's an obvious QC problem.

Only if YOU want it to be.  Plenty of logical alternatives.  Just a simple matter of using them. :salute

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2020, 12:48:28 PM »
Wasn't there a mission many moons ago that saw about 10-15 players go pop on a hillside in buffs shortly after t/o?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2020, 12:53:05 PM »
Short list for B-29 takeoff with 40 X 500lb. bombload and 50% fuel.

1) Large Airfield at sea level choosing longest runway.
2) Raise flaps to 0 degrees.
3) Hold C and V for brakes while pushing full throttle to get maximum engine power.
4) release brakes.
5) Auto takeoff will not climb before end of runway so manual climb will be necessary to avoid any trees or buildings.
6) When wheels leave pavement and on dirt or grass, lower flaps 20 degrees and manually lift into air.
7)  Raise landing gear immediately.
8) Once clear of trees or objects, raise flaps and level off to gain speed.
9) Once speed has been achieved, slowly climb with joystick.

Practice OFFLINE until you have mastered those steps.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2020, 02:06:39 PM »
Short list for B-29 takeoff with 40 X 500lb. bombload and 50% fuel.

1) Large Airfield at sea level choosing longest runway.
2) Raise flaps to 0 degrees.
3) Hold C and V for brakes while pushing full throttle to get maximum engine power.
4) release brakes.
5) Auto takeoff will not climb before end of runway so manual climb will be necessary to avoid any trees or buildings.
6) When wheels leave pavement and on dirt or grass, lower flaps 20 degrees and manually lift into air.
7)  Raise landing gear immediately.
8) Once clear of trees or objects, raise flaps and level off to gain speed.
9) Once speed has been achieved, slowly climb with joystick.

Practice OFFLINE until you have mastered those steps.

That’s what I was looking for!  Thanks!   :aok

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2020, 02:07:18 PM »
I'm very close with AKKuya's procedures.  Couple things I do differently..

Engage WEP before releasing brakes on roll-out.

I do drop a notch or 2 of flaps before the gear leaves the ground.  Kinda by the seat of your pants approach.  I dare say that the same procedure doesn't work for everybody at every field.

Keep in mind the B29 was added to the game long after the standardized airfields were established. It's a monster.

There are some fields you can't use for the B29. Trees or not. Heck.. there are runways you can't roll B26s from.  Had one squad night where our CO bravely lead 10 formations of B26s into a gently sloping hill a mile or so from the runway.

And, yes, the trees are baffling.. but that is an observance that has raged since day 1.. right there with C47s can  only carry 10 troops ( most commonly posted after losing a base capture because one troop got killed. Guilty of that, myself )

I feel for the OP about losing all those perks on such a painful lesson.  It sux.. truly.  But, as with so many other things in this game, you just have to take notes and prepare for next time.  Just because you can chose the plane in the hangar doesn't mean you'll be able to get it in the air.

Good luck in getting to try again.

:salute
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2020, 02:08:12 PM »
Wasn't there a mission many moons ago that saw about 10-15 players go pop on a hillside in buffs shortly after t/o?
Ahhhh. Betty's first bomber mission. Was like 20-30 sets out of the hangar into the mountain.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2020, 02:29:11 PM »

more like 30 or 40, there's video of it. i also know the one caused it.  was funny as hell.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline KillerPops

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2020, 02:33:43 PM »
Yikes, you weren't kidding. Still, I think Puma's and my point stands. I have learned that hard lesson before, it takes planning and scouting to find the suitable B-29 field.

Yes I know. Lots of large fields eats B-29s for breakfast (which is stupid enough as it is). But, this particular field is just way over the top. A runway that practically extends out into the sea, and there are trees at the end? In real life, if aircraft were based on an airfield (which usually is where aircraft are based), there would be no bloody trees practically on the runway threshold.

Reading the posts her, I don't know what is most at odd; trees on the runway threshold, or people actually defending trees on the runway threshold as something a "pilot" should be aware of  :headscratch:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2020, 03:02:12 PM »
Same map, same field, same direction - 40 500 lb. bombs and 75% fuel

Figured I'd try at 100% fuel (though that seems like overkill):

Same map, same field, same direction - 40 500 lb. bombs and 100 fuel

Even so, I wouldn't select that field on that map for a strat run (but I hardly do strat runs - town bombing yields higher points [at least that's what I've found]).

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »
Yes I know. Lots of large fields eats B-29s for breakfast (which is stupid enough as it is). But, this particular field is just way over the top. A runway that practically extends out into the sea, and there are trees at the end? In real life, if aircraft were based on an airfield (which usually is where aircraft are based), there would be no bloody trees practically on the runway threshold.

Reading the posts her, I don't know what is most at odd; trees on the runway threshold, or people actually defending trees on the runway threshold as something a "pilot" should be aware of  :headscratch:

Welcome to the Bulletin Board my friend