Author Topic: planes being main-gunned by tanks  (Read 7922 times)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
planes being main-gunned by tanks
« on: August 31, 2021, 09:04:44 PM »
before you start saying your usual BS saying don't fly so low-some players main gun planes like it's part of their breathing. it's not realistic as many people have said--in WWII tanks never main-gunned planes.

HiTech, is there any thing in the game or server programming that can be done to stop tanks main-gunning planes. it's gotten to be tiresome
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: planes being main-gunned by tanks
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 09:12:55 PM »
before you start saying your usual BS saying don't fly so low-some players main gun planes like it's part of their breathing. it's not realistic as many people have said--in WWII tanks never main-gunned planes.

HiTech, is there any thing in the game or server programming that can be done to stop tanks main-gunning planes. it's gotten to be tiresome

I just had an idea that might help in cases where a plane is not flying directly towards a tank's gun.

What if aircraft ranges could not be seen in their icons from tanks? That would make long distance deflection shots harder if they don't have a good range estimate, right?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 09:34:20 PM »
I just had an idea that might help in cases where a plane is not flying directly towards a tank's gun.

What if aircraft ranges could not be seen in their icons from tanks? That would make long distance deflection shots harder if they don't have a good range estimate, right?

That be an interesting idea to try, but would it apply to just tanks, or all GV's?  :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 09:43:34 PM »
That be an interesting idea to try, but would it apply to just tanks, or all GV's?  :headscratch:

I'd say all except the Wirb, Osti, or M-16. As much as I hate them, I think they need the ranges to show.

Maybe they can be tweaked as well to make them slightly less effective? Nothing is more BS than an enemy plane running to a Wirb he can see that a pursuing fighter can't.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 10:17:14 PM »
Just because something didn't happen doesn't mean it can't happen.  This game simulates the flight characteristics of airplanes. The game also simulates the flight characteristics of the bullets fired by those airplanes, and the bullets fired by other guns, including the main guns of tanks.  So it is entirely possible, however unlikely, for a tank to fire its main gun and hit an airplane.  The game simulates the flight path of an airplane.  The game simulates the flight path of the tank shell when it is fired.  If the airplane and the tank shell meet, the game simulates the damage the airplane would take from such a meeting.   

You are asking that the simulation be artificially changed so that it no longer accurately simulates the flight path of the two objects, in order to prevent such a meeting from taking place.  This is out of bounds.  Now if you have evidence that the program is not accurately simulating the flight path of the objects, then you have a legitimate complaint.

Besides, it did happen in real life:

http://defensionem.com/tank-shoots-down-a-plane/

My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 10:29:13 PM »
Besides, it did happen in real life:

http://defensionem.com/tank-shoots-down-a-plane/

The plane was essentially diving right at the tank or one very close by. There are guys in game using the commander's view to hit planes flying across their sights, not down them. That does need to be fixed.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 11:03:08 PM »
Solutions.

A. Initiate a half second lag between giving a fire command vs the actual detonation of the main gun while in F3 mode

B. Make the commander position killbale while in F3 mode. Example, if a player is unbuttoned in F3 mode while a .50, 12.7mm, 20mm, 30mm, or 37mm projectile strikes the commanders hatch the tank dies.

Chuikov

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 11:45:01 PM »
Solutions.

A. Initiate a half second lag between giving a fire command vs the actual detonation of the main gun while in F3 mode

B. Make the commander position killbale while in F3 mode. Example, if a player is unbuttoned in F3 mode while a .50, 12.7mm, 20mm, 30mm, or 37mm projectile strikes the commanders hatch the tank dies.

B is a definite no-go, but A on the other hand, that one would be much more viable.  It can be considered the delay between command given by commander and the gunner's response.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 12:24:37 AM »
The secret is to fight back.  Posted, much to my surprise in 2008, during the SAPP glory days, my response to your concern.  Surprised the heck out of the tank driver when I did what I did with my 38G :)

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,226462.0.html
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 01:54:39 AM »
if I remember correctly, when they were testing ah, hitech was in a tank and one of the other developers was in a plane, he took a shot and was surprised that he killed the airplane, they went over the data and found out it was accurate.  crap happens. 

me myself have fired hundreds if not thousands of of shots in a tank at planes, have gotten a couple. I have gotten killed dozens of times, found out mostly because I came in too low.

now having said that, we take chances in this game that real pilots in ww2 would not have taken, here we just up in a new plane, in ww2, they got a medal and a grave.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 03:49:17 AM »

I understand your frustration Luny, but I respectfully disagree. Fighters & Storches didn’t diddle around circling GV’s at 20, 30, 40, 50ft buzzing them as they do in here. So before asking for a change in the GV’s reality, let’s adjust the flying sides reality……lol

There are guys in game using the commander's view to hit planes flying across their sights, not down them. That does need to be fixed.

Too much credit is given to the rumors of the “Commanders View”. If using the Commanders view was so advantageous, why doesn’t everybody use it? Given the opportunity to shoot at a flying target the majority of those that are successful will have been from the gun site. In other words changing anything to do with the commanders view will not address Lunatics issue.

if I remember correctly, when they were testing ah, hitech was in a tank and one of the other developers was in a plane, he took a shot and was surprised that he killed the airplane, they went over the data and found out it was accurate.  crap happens. 

I have gotten killed dozens of times, found out mostly because I came in too low.

now having said that, we take chances in this game that real pilots in ww2 would not have taken, here we just up in a new plane.

semp

That’s Sums it up.

Players get to fly hundreds and hundreds of times to perfect their dog fighting, GVing, and bombing skills in here. Much more so than was afforded those in WWII.

Players that strafe tanks at less than one wingspan height above the ground are going to get HE, and those that dive at an angle within the main guns trajectory are going to get shot at. Why shouldn’t they be shot at? It’s a game.

Offline Iraqvet

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 07:56:54 AM »
 I can easily drop an with a HE round any Aircraft that is trying to track or Disable my T-34-85 via a HE explosive round that is shot into ground toward the oncoming aircraft. Keep in mind most aircraft that are downed by a tank are flying within mere feet of the tank in the first place....ie some crash into the ground or tank because they are not smart enough to pull up before collision.  It stands logical that if you shoot an 85mm HE into the ground there will be an upward spray of shrapnel that will fan back up into the air. People have complained about this forever.

If they take this feature away then I suppose we should take away aircrafts ability to bomb**** GV's. This gets "Tiresome" and annoying to GV's.

Neither of the above will change nor do they need to.
***The Perk Tank Snuff***
HHC 1-502nd "Strike" Infantry 101st Airborne Division Air Assault!
The very essence of leadership is its purpose. The purpose of leadership is to accomplish a task. That is what leadership does and what it does is more important than what it is or how it works

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 08:08:05 AM »
I'd say all except the Wirb, Osti, or M-16. As much as I hate them, I think they need the ranges to show.

Maybe they can be tweaked as well to make them slightly less effective? Nothing is more BS than an enemy plane running to a Wirb he can see that a pursuing fighter can't.

This.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 08:43:29 AM »
A whine has been recorded.

Can an 88 kill a plane or a gv?? Yes, enough said.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 01:20:26 PM »
The two T-34's in AH have a turret that can aim higher than other tanks. If you come in low they will get you. Leave the T-34's alone and you won't' get main gunned. A lot of gv'ers play several hours a day and their
gunnery is excellent because they put in the time to get good. Leading an aircraft gets easier the more you do it. If you bounce an HE round off a canyon wall, a tree, the ground, and time it just right the explosion will
take down the enemy plane.

Planes did get main gunned in WW2. That is amazing because enemy planes and tanks  could not see any  icons.  :D :D :D They used camouflage to make it more difficult to find enemy GV's such as tree branches, exploded buildings,
and nets. Tanks were expensive to make and protecting resources was very important.

If HiTech changes any of the setting or writes new code the players will simply adapt and you will still see planes main gunned by tanks.

I kill lots of storches with the M-8 every ToD and most of them came in low. The M-8 has a rapid fire turret so you can quickly adapt the lead on the incoming storch. If they do not stay up there really high.....
you might as well  yet   "PULL!"    :banana:

You have good gunnery skills Lunatic and I have seen you main gun planes many a time over the years   :salute

This is a good thread.  :aok
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)