Author Topic: planes being main-gunned by tanks  (Read 7891 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: planes being main-gunned by tanks
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2021, 07:54:19 AM »
Should be based on experience...

First starting out you are at Montgomery level and can't hit the side of a barn...

As you gain experience you graduate to Patton and Rommel level where you can hit 262's crossing in front of you at 1.5k out..

Or just get your old arse into a fighter as the game was intended  :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2021, 11:51:42 AM »
It is based on the skill of the pilot or driver.  So it is, effectively, based on experience, and training.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2021, 03:43:15 PM »
I have wondered if the way to fix issues like this one with the gvs was to have the gun point fairly close to where the commander view is but have it randomized somewhere in the circle and the only way to get true aim is to be in the gunner seat.

Wiley.

I play exclusively in VR, including in GVs. When in VR the commanders view is unusable for shooting as in VR your head is never truly centered. So every maingun kill of an aircraft is done from the gunners seat. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid, some people just insist on flying shallow attack paths.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2021, 04:59:20 PM »
I play exclusively in VR, including in GVs. When in VR the commanders view is unusable for shooting as in VR your head is never truly centered. So every maingun kill of an aircraft is done from the gunners seat. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid, some people just insist on flying shallow attack paths.

agree......there is no way to fix stupid. I do not remember how many planes I have main-gunned that came in really low, then complained on 200 you should not
be able to do that.  IL2's, B-25's, P-51's, 110's, just about any plane  LOL  I did not use commander view, but used the turret view because it is much more precise.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »
agree......there is no way to fix stupid. I do not remember how many planes I have main-gunned that came in really low, then complained on 200 you should not
be able to do that.  IL2's, B-25's, P-51's, 110's, just about any plane  LOL  I did not use commander view, but used the turret view because it is much more precise.

PERK the M-8!!!!!!!  :aok
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2021, 04:24:58 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA! That's rich!

The numbers suck now because he coddled the GVer's and armchair generals several years ago by altering the GV icon rules and side switch timers. Most of the dedicated fighter pilots left because of these changes. The MA has been trash ever since because all that's left are you entitled people.

What you wrote was rich.

GV's have nothing to do with being trash, that's the player base.

Unless maybe all the people circling a GV spawn with bombs takes them away from furballing could be considered one example.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2021, 05:32:13 PM »
 :D :D :D  That is pretty funny !

How many pilots flying heavy fighters or A-20's could be furballing instead of eggin' GV's at the spawn or at a Vehicle Base that is a half a sector or even
or further from the nearest air field ?

It would seem there could be more fighter pilots enjoying some action with other fighter pilots if they were not eggin' gv's.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2021, 05:52:24 PM »
:D :D :D  That is pretty funny !

How many pilots flying heavy fighters or A-20's could be furballing instead of eggin' GV's at the spawn or at a Vehicle Base that is a half a sector or even
or further from the nearest air field ?

It would seem there could be more fighter pilots enjoying some action with other fighter pilots if they were not eggin' gv's.

When I first returned to aces high last April my first sortie was in a M-4 as I didn't have my joystick setup yet. As soon as I spawn out a B-25 hits me with his MAIN gun which is considered way cool in Aces High. I shot the B-25 with the main gun and took its wing off. Not bad for a first sortie back after ten years away.

But the crys that were logged over me doing that.......
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2021, 01:29:35 PM »
I don’t think it’s a problem.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2021, 02:36:48 PM »
What's worse is their invisibility from the air

Nice to see a dust trail, smoke or something and not have to fly to tree top level to see its icon

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2021, 02:54:01 PM »
if someone is good enough to get a main gun hit on a plane from a tank, they should get an award. shame on the plane for being that close!!

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2021, 03:12:58 PM »
What's worse is their invisibility from the air

Nice to see a dust trail, smoke or something and not have to fly to tree top level to see its icon

Eagler

Maybe that is something HiTech could adjust in the arena settings........the distance that the dusty cloud trails behind the gv when it is moving.
Typically veteran gv'ers shut their engine off and park under some trees when the heavy fighters show up. If they were moving the dusty trail behind them would
definitely give their position away and add another element to the game that has not been explored yet.

When planes are down at tree top level they run the risk of being main gunned. 

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2021, 03:20:57 PM »
Maybe that is something HiTech could adjust in the arena settings........the distance that the dusty cloud trails behind the gv when it is moving.
Typically veteran gv'ers shut their engine off and park under some trees when the heavy fighters show up. If they were moving the dusty trail behind them would
definitely give their position away and add another element to the game that has not been explored yet.

The extensive hiding of GV is already a really bad thing. It will only get worse if you make moving vehicles even more visible while not touching the stationary ones.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2021, 03:54:59 PM »
Did GV's hide in WW2?

Did they hide in the Battle of the Bulge?

What happened when the cloud cover went away?

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2021, 03:57:30 PM »
Did GV's hide in WW2?

Did they hide in the Battle of the Bulge?

What happened when the cloud cover went away?

This is a game, not WWII.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear