Author Topic: Unsportsmanlike game play  (Read 14352 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: Unsportsmanlike game play
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2021, 05:07:43 PM »
Do so many of you really look at your score and the related metrics as much as this thread seems to indicate?

I hope that is not the case for the majority of players….

For awhile in AH2 I flew to have a great score, yes I made the top 50 several times (Front page news!!!).
    -It was EXTREMELY BORING to play the game that way for me.

To each their own I guess.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2021, 07:04:08 PM »
Few players really fly for score and nothing else. Those that do usually succumb to burnout after a relatively short time.
You can see when looking at the scores and ranks in detail. Most players could easily have a much better rank by just doing a few more specific sorties, or adjusting their flying/choice of planes a bit. But they don't do that.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2021, 07:14:11 PM »
Few players really fly for score and nothing else. Those that do usually succumb to burnout after a relatively short time.
You can see when looking at the scores and ranks in detail. Most players could easily have a much better rank by just doing a few more specific sorties, or adjusting their flying/choice of planes a bit. But they don't do that.

When I flew with the Bloody 100th I would watch my score, for accuracy of drop and try to do better than my squadmate.
When it came to fighters though, I could really care less.  Never followed my k/d.

Coogan
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 10:05:15 PM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2021, 09:01:11 PM »
Maybe get rid of individual scoring and go with a total team score.. then individual deaths or victories would not matter as much to those that would rather run than fight.

Eh.  We had plenty of ganging in AW, and there was no score there. 

- oldman

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2021, 10:00:46 PM »
People should be less concerned how others fly and play the game.  It just leads to posts like the OP's.

meaningless.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2021, 10:01:57 PM »
Truth.  :ask

meaningless post. take a stand or don’t bother.
Who is John Galt?

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2021, 03:42:51 AM »
It is annoying when your fettled while in a fight with someone :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2021, 06:20:14 AM »
People should be less concerned how others fly and play the game.  It just leads to posts like the OP's.
Truth.  :aok

meaningless.
meaningless post. take a stand or don’t bother.

Not entirely meaningless, AKAK does accurately show both cause and effect, I'll run you through it;
If one follows only themselves and their own actions ingame and not that of others, threads would not exist, because they would not need to exist.

Vink, my advise;
Do as I did, make a squad and recruit people that share your vision of how to fly AcesHigh.
You never know, your vision may become popular, you may even be able to enjoy turning the tables on those that are philosophically opposed to your vision.
The added man power will certainly even the odds to a fairer fight.
JG5 had many good scraps with Pony squads that like altitude and numbers, some of them you may remember, Devil Dogs ring a bell?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2021, 01:12:35 PM »
Not entirely meaningless, AKAK does accurately show both cause and effect, I'll run you through it;
If one follows only themselves and their own actions ingame and not that of others, threads would not exist, because they would not need to exist.

Vink, my advise;
Do as I did, make a squad and recruit people that share your vision of how to fly AcesHigh.
You never know, your vision may become popular, you may even be able to enjoy turning the tables on those that are philosophically opposed to your vision.
The added man power will certainly even the odds to a fairer fight.
JG5 had many good scraps with Pony squads that like altitude and numbers, some of them you may remember, Devil Dogs ring a bell?

The problem these days are the lack of numbers. Furballs, or group fights are rarer than before and a good fight may be 3 or 4 guys from each side give or take a guy or two on one side or the other. While these are fun, they are few and far between. Then you add in 3 or four pickin pones on one side or the other and the whole dynamic of the once fun fight changes.

Pickers as enemy,

your now force to take SA away from the fun fight to dodge endless high alt attacks. Endless as ponies can fly for ever and the way these guys fly, dive in, take a shot, recover alt, repeat, they can make a lot of attack runs on a tank full. So much so the "fun fight" disappears and your dodgin and trying for a good snap shot, which isnt the type of "fun fight" your looking for, so you just give up and move on to some other activity be it in the game or not.

Pickers on your side,

You work a guy or two to get them to a point they cant maneuver out of the way, you line up for your shot and a picker takes the kill on a slow wallowing target. Before you know it the enemy has had enough of the pickers and either leave, or jump in D9s to come back at 25k to pick the pickers and the fun fight is gone again.

Again, if we had twice the numbers we would have more fun fights and the pickers wouldnt as big an issue as they are now. I just makes one more reason to not bother loggin in.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2021, 06:23:03 AM »

Again, if we had twice the numbers we would have more fun fights and the pickers wouldnt as big an issue as they are now.

This is all some gamers in aces high know how to do, its all they have ever done or are ever going to do.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2021, 07:40:30 AM »

This is all some gamers in aces high know how to do, its all they have ever done or are ever going to do.

Correct, but if you have 4 pickers diving in on a 4 vs 4 it becomes a PITA really quick, but the same 4 diving in on an 8 vs 8, not such a big deal.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2021, 08:25:00 AM »
to clarify, its the Running and fight avoidance that I have an issue with. Not the fighting as a squad or in numbers. Many of you missed that point.
Who is John Galt?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2021, 10:21:20 AM »
Just have to really learn the art of defense ACM if you want to fly something slower than a F16. Getting those reversal shots in the overshoot is a KEY. That is really the only way to defeat these pick and runners. I agree with Fugi. That the more the marrier would create less of that, however, even in huge furballs, like combat challenge, pickers will always be there and will extend out of the furball. I admit to using this strategy sometimes. It's a lot more exhilarating for sure! Always gotta check 6. You might have 3 or 4 on your after a dive in but generally have friendlies to help. It's a blast.

Aircombat strategy is difficult because there is no "wall" to hide behind if someone is shooting. Your only option is to get out of their line of fire and sight. This is the magic trick illusion of your plane getting out of their sites. People will always fly how they want to. Your biggest priorities should be, what planes are I'm fighting against, how many are their where I'm heading, what alt are they, how can I get the advantage on them, which defensive counter maneuver am I going to work with. In the end, the MA is not "real war", its not organized like FSO. It's not meant to be "fair" with regards to planes and setups. The whole point is to grab some balls and get in planes that challenge you and make you better at situational flying. That's all you can do. Then when some P51 speed demon tries to jump you, pull that defensive maneuver and pop them on the overshoot. That's all you can do. Flying at 25K in the same plane ain't gonna work out any different and will probably be more boring. Try to stay away from the gang and drag out the planes to you to even the fight. That's a solid strategy. You will never in the MA be able to outrun 3 p51s and 2 yak3s and 3 La7s chasing you. All you can do is practice defense maneuvers until hopefully your friendlies arrive. That's all you can do.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 10:26:41 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2021, 05:01:23 PM »
I always watched my score. I scored higher than most. I could get way up there when some folks were only 1 or 2. I might be 100 or more...... I'm sorry if this comes across as bragging... I'm just that good I guess.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2021, 12:08:50 AM »
when runstungs show up, grab a friend,get them duces and annoy the heck out of them.

Nothing annoys runstung drivers more than taste of their own medicine :)