Author Topic: bring on the NIGHT!!!  (Read 1114 times)

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« on: April 14, 2000, 05:19:00 AM »
Along with a few others I would LOVE to have the P-61 Black Widow.  Even though I dinnae think this this bird could hope to compete in the arena during daylight.  So bring on the night and the night fighters.

In talking with a squaddie he said they had tried it in brand w but it just dinnae work.  Pitch black just wasn't any fun.
So dinnae make it pitch black.  Just a very dark grey.  Just enough light to get an outline of an aircraft at 2000-3000yds.  Kinda like flying under a full moon on a cloudless sky.  Even put a moon up there that could silhouette you and spell your death  

On the ground add some kind of light here and there along the highest elevations of hills and have all landscape in muted greys (shadows where appropiate).  This way pilots can see to avoid lawndarting.  Also have the ground targets (bases, factories, etc) lit up, but subdued, so they can still be recognized and hit.  Not exactly realistic, but this is more of a playability issue I think.

Icons are the next problem.  Turn off all enemy icons and reduce friendly icons to 2000 or 3000 yards (with killshooter there should be a way to tell friend from enemy IMO).  Only aircraft equiped with on board radar get enemy icons, and then only at 2000 or 3000 yards.

Give the night fighters some kind of readout that gives approximate range and whether a contact is higher or lower than the nightfighter.  They still have to close to within 2-3k to see if it's friendly or enemy.  During night time, if possible, have friendly dots on the map appear only if the aircraft is within range of an operational friendly radar structure.  Dinnae really know how to deal with the ease of identification with friendly dots on the map =\

Vehicle icons could be left at 3k.  The cover of darkness would also help the tread heads out as it would virtually impossible to spot them from the air, and then very difficult to attack them.  This could lead to suprise "dawn raids" as vehicles drive into position under the cover of darkness.  Imagine your surprise as you lift off for the first sortie of the day and an M16 parked under your runway lights you up  

Just a few thoughts on the night from the peanut gallery  

(of course, I have no idea of the feasibility of this   )

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2000, 05:35:00 AM »
Night gets my vote !
(Raises hand)

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
=XO=II/JG2~Richthofen~
GMT T.O.D. SITE

JG2 "Richthofen"
Don't shoot ! I am only an observer......

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 04-14-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2000, 06:33:00 AM »
Sounds fun to me  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
Carpe Jugulum
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Bombjack

• Zinc Member
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2000, 07:50:00 AM »
Just wanted to say that the night-ops EMC in WB actually worked really well. Given that AH is getting a Lanc, night ops in here would be even more special.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2000, 07:56:00 AM »
Cave,I've just added you to my "When I win the lotto, I'm sending Cave money for a new computer" list.

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
I/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 Communications Officer
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

Turning Spitfires into Bud Lite cans since 1992

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-14-2000).]

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2000, 08:19:00 AM »
"Dear OGD, let us have Night in AH"
This is a frase I use a lot before bedtime!

Crabofix "another fishslap"

------------------
Flygflottlj.19(Lento R5)"swedish Gladiators"

[This message has been edited by crabofix (edited 04-14-2000).]

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2000, 08:47:00 AM »
 WE had a night senerio in the DOA HA, was a blast! IF you were unfortunate to only be able to fly in 2d you were screwed, but it looked ok in 3d.

Since the only option here is 3d...   Bring it on!

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2000, 08:56:00 AM »
Hi all,

As I wrote before, nights are good, but not in a MA. Some nights I get only 1 hour of a good connect, and I do not want to spend the whole hour looking for a single fighter to encounter, and to loose him in darkness 2 seconds after.

In scenario it shall be implemented simple because night raids were an important part of the air war over Europe.

Fariz,
The 12th Legion

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2000, 11:41:00 AM »
Night time could prove to be very interesting. Dreams of flares and Mossies path finding for  the buffs. How about colored flares or flares placed by the enemy to lure you to the wrong destination.

All this brings a  big grin to my face.

Here is a question how long in game play time should the period of nighttime last?

------------------
Aces High Correspondent for  www.dogfighter.com

[This message has been edited by Baddawg (edited 04-14-2000).]

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2000, 01:07:00 PM »
YES! Bring on the night! Good post cave.

I would suggest 20 minute roll over from dusk to dawn. Just enought for a taste. Maybe once every 4 hours or so.

Toss in the P-61 and a Ju-88 with the onboard DAR which would be shut down for the rest of us during the night.

------------------
daddog C.O.
332nd Flying Mongrels
Where men become friends and friends become brothers.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2000, 01:43:00 PM »
Hi all

Yep, sounds good to me!  Seeing many nightfighters had radar it would be good that if an airfield/or main radar was down then the radar from the aircraft could be transmitted to the main map but perhaps only if the enemy aircraft was actually 'illuminated' by the aircraft radar.

As for the length of night-time, would it be a full night?  I'd like to see a rolling night-time at different hours, such as making a day just 20 hours long instead so everyone around the world would eventually get their share of night-time, know what I mean?

Regards all

'Nexx'
NEXX

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2000, 02:05:00 PM »
My biggest complaint with the WB "night effect", was that no matter what the time was outside the cockpit, it was always a bright sunny day inside the cockpit.  I guess with the 3D cockpit art, that wouldn't be a problem.  (Though we might need illuminated instruments.)

I haven't really thought about having night ops, but I would love a "dawn takeoff" for scenarios.  

popeye

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited 04-14-2000).]
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2000, 06:18:00 PM »
HT, Pyro, can we get some commentary on this please  

Sorrow[S=A]

bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2000, 07:05:00 PM »
WHOAH! What a COOL idea!
A 20 minute night for every 4 hrs would be awesome!!!

BTW FYI there WAS a night in AH.
NZ and aussie players as well as a few of the west coasters who don't sleep at night might remember it from beta. The sun didn't used to roll over after late night MST. It wasn't dramatic or pitch black, rather visibility reduced to around half what we were used to and the arena seemed dark greyish and shadowy. IIRC you couldn't see the tower thru the norden after 15k.

However with icons still there to spot planes gameplay wasn't harshly affected at all.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
bring on the NIGHT!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2000, 11:28:00 AM »
20 mins aint enough......

Swoop