Author Topic: We're losing our sim to...  (Read 927 times)

Offline Tjay

• Copper Member
We're losing our sim to...
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2002, 05:00:53 PM »
Hangtime.
Could you please tell me how to do split quotes like that? Where you quote a bit of post, comment, then quote another bit, etc.?
Thanks in advance.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2002, 05:17:35 PM »
Last night while watching the Eagles game the conversation turned to Gaming. I told them i fly a WW2 flight symulator and quickly fired up AH...... only to see the Horror on the faces of my friends as they read the Channel 1 buffer. Well theres 2 people that will never try AH, free or not.

NUTTZ

Offline Corwin

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2002, 05:26:59 PM »
Yep, I've grown a bit weary of the MA scene.  It's like a rolling furball with Turrette's.  

The CA is indeed the answer.  Great bunch of folks.  Good plane match ups. Interesting terrain.
It's what is keeping me flying in AH

Offline AKEagle+

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2002, 07:29:13 PM »
Just puttin’ in my $.02 where I probably shouldn’t :)

I have been flyin in on-line flight sims for about 4 years now.  This is my first WWII sim, and man, the fast rugged planes, BIG guns, blackouts, flaps, wheels that retract, only one wing, no wires, guns that don’t jam, soooo much to learn…

But I digress, where was I?????

Oh, yeh. Heh, ah, well there seems to be common threads from which the tapestry of human behavior is woven.  (Whatever THAT means)

Note that in the following, I use the word ‘Tendency” that means many, but of course not all.

In the flight sims I have been in, gang banging was the norm.  Seldom would you get a one on one with a worthy foe.  (And when I did, I usually walked back to base with my… ah… er private parts in a paper bag LOL! )  There be a lot of truly great pilots in the AKs, yours truly not being one of them.  Pilots tend to smell blood like sharks, and dive in.

There is a tendency to use the abnormalities caused by net-lag to a persons advantage, whether that be deliberately causing collisions on the other pilots FE, or causing your plane to behave erratically (stick stirring) on the others FE.

There is a tendency to shoot HO or at any angle that will give you a chance to do damage.

Some tend to take offense to others behavior, or just plain choose to be obnoxious.   Some of these are 7 year olds, some just act 7 years old. ;)

I on the other hand tend to be an arrogant, pompous, opinionated, and self-centered jack-prettythang. Pretty fine traits for a fighter pilot if you ask me! :D  Er, but you didn’t ask me did you? :(

There are of course those individuals who maintain a high degree of morality in the arena, and thank God for those truly find competitors.

So what I see in the MA, seems to pretty “normal” for an arena full of varieties of human nature.

BTW does anyone besides me think we should add chain saws to the arena?

AK (Where did I put my boxcutter) Eagle+
« Last Edit: January 28, 2002, 07:36:39 PM by AKEagle+ »

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2002, 07:35:36 PM »
HEAR HEAR!!

I'm spending my time in the CT.  Much better crowd.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2002, 07:38:30 PM »
CH1--that is, the moaning, whining, complaining, bragging--is what makes AH what it is.  AH is about people.  Sometimes you see good, sometimes you see bad.  A game like AH, where emotions run high, will always have a certain amount of "questionable" behavior.  However, this emotion is the heart and sould of AH, NOT a problem that needs to be eliminated.  Take away the hate, the anger, the shame, and all you're left with is a sterile lifeless shell of a product.  Personally, I think the AH community by and large is better now than ever before.

Those who squelch 1 (or 2) are taking away the point of a multiplayer game.  Multiplayer gaming is about people--interaction and communication between lots of people.  If you're squelching the radio you're essentially taking away the part of AH that you're paying for--access to hunderds of other players.  If you continually squelch the radio, you might want to re-consider what you're here for and perhaps look at other options.

The text buffer IS Aces High; the flightsim is just the "meeting place".

Gotta take the good with the bad  :)

J_A_B

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2002, 09:27:15 PM »
interesting:... "We're losing our sim...".

Who's WE ?  

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2002, 09:49:45 PM »
"Who's WE ?"

I'm assuming he means anyone who finds the half-wit channel 1 commentary more colorful than Dennis Leary doing stand-up on HBO and less intelligent than a man with an IQ of 50 before he had a full frontal lobatomy.

If that's the case, you can count me in with Apache.. and that makes "we".
-SW

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2002, 09:58:47 PM »
At this point it seems only a two tiered pricing system; where access to the CT would cost at least twice the access fee to the MA; would satisfy the needs of the CT community. At current pricing levels, just about anyone can afford to fly AH; and it's obvious that that leads to a decline in social standards and skill levels.

The extra cost could well finance the additional features demanded by the more discerning hard core CT type of player and which would be wasted on the dweeb fest that forms the heart of the $14,99 all-you-can-eat crowd.

The MA could devolve to some kind of cheap rate RR arena and left to wither on the vine; and as the higher revenue CT players would be shouldering a proportionaly greater burden of development financing; it's only fair they should see some return for their loyalty.

Who knows, with the right social screening, we may even be able to run a functional and representative scenario with out these quake heads trying to re-write history; and we could free resources wasted on purile non-historic events.

Right, Oldman?  :)

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2002, 10:07:29 PM »
Why are there more defenders for rude behavior then those demanding an arena where Sportsmanship is the norm?

Verbal abuse is not a right of personal freedom, but a choice.

Is human decency to much to ask?

There is another way, believe it or not.
JG11

Vater

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2002, 10:16:37 PM »
Originally posted by Virage
Is human decency to much to ask?

Apparently it is.  As for the other way, I would like to what you think it is.

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2002, 10:45:14 PM »
J_A_B, you are joking....right?

It does not take much self control and just a little education to make comments in a civil manner while typing.

Where you seem to consider squelching 1 giving up a part of your online experience, I consider squelching 1 an enhancement of mine and squelching 6 is almost as good.

Virage, unfortunately, yes, it is too much to ask from many people, here and everywhere.

The WE wlfgng, are the guys who have been hanging around here since first beta.

Although I never considered it "our" sim I have seen the caliber of verbal exchange deteriorate in the main arena and that reflects on all who play on this playground.

So, if the offenders, and they know....well most of them know who they are, some are too ignorant to realize they are, happen to read this topic....CLEAN IT UP!

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2002, 12:06:16 AM »
"It's like a rolling furball with Turrette's. "     LOL

Offline MikeKA

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2002, 12:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
CH1--that is, the moaning, whining, complaining, bragging--is what makes AH what it is.  AH is about people.  Sometimes you see good, sometimes you see bad.  A game like AH, where emotions run high, will always have a certain amount of "questionable" behavior.  However, this emotion is the heart and sould of AH, NOT a problem that needs to be eliminated.  Take away the hate, the anger, the shame, and all you're left with is a sterile lifeless shell of a product.  Personally, I think the AH community by and large is better now than ever before.

Those who squelch 1 (or 2) are taking away the point of a multiplayer game.  Multiplayer gaming is about people--interaction and communication between lots of people.  If you're squelching the radio you're essentially taking away the part of AH that you're paying for--access to hunderds of other players.  If you continually squelch the radio, you might want to re-consider what you're here for and perhaps look at other options.

The text buffer IS Aces High; the flightsim is just the "meeting place".

Gotta take the good with the bad  :)

J_A_B

I'm going to have to disagree here.  I squelch CH1 habitually.  I have no interest in getting harrassed because I shot someone down.  I have no interest in hearing people constantly whine *about* getting shot down.  And furthermore CH1 is full of chat that is generally not important to my gameplay.  I get plenty of multiplayer interaction on CH2 and my squad CH thank you ;).  I assure you the only thing I am missing by continually squelching CH1 is irritation.  I put up with CH1 in AW and at first I put up with it in AH.  Now it takes on average under 5 minutes from the time I log in for me to see something on CH1 that reminds me to squelch it.  Just my .02 .  :)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2002, 12:10:25 AM »
Prolly being one of the older participants here ( puts melba toast back in the bowl of milk he was soaking it in)  opppps   denture fewl outd hold one.....  Ok that's better.  Anyway being a bit older, and hopefully wiser (in my case that is debatable) don't let anyone ruin your fun.

I disregard the idiotic comments, the chest beating, the excuses,the whines (did I forget anything???)

Fly what you want to fly.  And also realize the only way you got shot down was you placed yourself into postion to be shot down!  I figured that one out alllllll by myself.  So if ya gets angry, get mad at yourself not the other guy!

Enjoy the game, do what you want it's your money!  Look at the idiotic comments as an expression of ignorance on someone elses part, and totally ignore them.

Do the talking with your joystick....not with your mouth!  And last but not least Have Fun!

That's what the game is about, and why you pay for it!

(back and knees creak as he steps down from soapbox)
- The Flying Circus -