Author Topic: inflight radar/darbars opinion poll from the Aces High Players  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
inflight radar/darbars opinion poll from the Aces High Players
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2001, 09:23:00 AM »
For

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
I feel like we are all going around in circles (lufferby?)  :).

Don't know if you are being sarcastic or not about the "margin of error".  36 out of 160~180 on last night not the best turn out though.  

I admit that I'm a little surprised by the response.

THE REALISM THING
I wish people would stop with the "realism" argument for getting rid of dot dar and dar bar.  That's a really slippery slope.  Sorry, for whatever reason this argument annoys me.

Points that have been brought up before elsewhere:
[list=1]
  • WW2 GCI radar could see 100 miles out even in 1940.  Distance got better later into the war.
  • GCI gave numbers, altitude, and bearing info- more than we have in AH.
  • WW2 ground control infrastructure and operations worked pretty well in directing air battles.
  • [/list=a]
    More on this topic:
http://www.hitechcreations.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=010788

Simply getting rid of all inflight data that we have now isn't making it anymore "realistic".

If you're arguing realism then I'm all for modifications that emulate the above and historical info in the referenced link.  There have been plenty of good ideas that have already been hashed and rehashed by others on how this might be done.

THE GAME PLAY THING
If you read this before I apologize.  My observations on the consesquences of the current radar are:

[list=1]
  • It helps people find where fights are and lets them get into the action quicker.
  • It forces strikes, missions, field captures etc to be well planned and executed.
  • [/list=a]

Whether intentional or not, I think HTC has struck a good balance for those wanting to get into the action without wasting too much time and those who really want well planned missions. My OPINION is that HTC's implementation of the dar is mainly to reward certain types of behavior vs. trying to simulate ultimate radar realism.

I'm one of the players that can't be on for hours at a time typically.  Sometimes I'm even taking care of little things when I'm climbing out or something.  

Case in point.  Last night I was on for about 1hr15min and that's all I had time for.  The dar bar helped me find the fight quickly that occurred near A11 - A5.  (BTW nice scramble Frodo, Defiance, 2Late4u...can't remember who else).

If you want to see the effects of making it harder to find a fight, I'll remind everyone about what happens when night approaches in AH.  I think many people log.
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2001, 09:28:00 AM »
Fester asked everybody he could in the arena last night, so you think the "pro-dars" are going to make a bigger showing in your neck of the woods? if so, lets see your results. Where are all these people yo know who are pro in-flight dar? In case ya didn't know, Curly and Nimitz are for in-tower only radar.

When do we see the results of your poll SW?

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2001, 09:29:00 AM »
Against (although I agree with some of the tweek suggestions)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2001, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by hblair:
Fester asked everybody he could in the arena last night, so you think the "pro-dars" are going to make a bigger showing in your neck of the woods? if so, lets see your results. Where are all these people yo know who are pro in-flight dar? In case ya didn't know, Curly and Nimitz are for in-tower only radar.?

This is supposed to change my opinion? Like their opinion influences me. In case YOU didn't know Hblair, Zigrat wants in flight radar but a refined version of it. Hmmm...

I am not going to do a poll like this, if I'm going to do one at all. In case you didn't know there's a bit more to doing a poll than getting a select few people to throw in their opinion. What about those other people out there? Don't care right? Especially if they are against it.

When do we see the results of your poll SW?

The only poll that is worthwhile and holds any water would be one that is brought up in the Message Of The Day and requires each user's response.

Until then, this poll is pointless.
-SW

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: SWulfe ]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2001, 09:43:00 AM »
We're working on Zig, most of the other squaddies have been bribed into agreeing with me.

I am not going to do a poll like this, if I'm going to do one at all. In case you didn't know there's a bit more to doing a poll than getting a select few people to throw in their opinion. What about those other people out there? Don't care right? Especially if they are against it.

Oh, the main arena is used by a "select" few people? The poll was taken on a typical tuesday night in the main arena. He counted the guys who have a differing opinion than his too, you think it was swayed in some way?  :D

Show us how to do a proper poll, and yeah what about those "other people", err who are they anyway? Share that with us too.

Yeah we care, give us their opinion.

"Other people" be heard!

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
Yeah, you definitely must of failed math.

Typical MA evening huh?

"26 for
10 against"

That's one helluva typical evening...

What time was it, 5AM EST?

Geezus.
-SW

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
For

way to lames die  :)  :D

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
Wow, what a inclusive mess this is.

So how long is it before we fly around in the dark wondering where the hell the fight is?

I tried WWIIOL this morning for another 45 minutes. Never saw a NME, so I'll get my 45 minutes of realism there every day.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2001, 09:48:00 AM »
And THIS would be a proper poll, not someone going "Hey I only need 30 of 140 guys to respond to get a general consensus":

"The only poll that is worthwhile and holds any water would be one that is brought up in the Message Of The Day and requires each user's response."

Are you selectively reading Hblair? Sure seems like it.
-SW

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2001, 09:48:00 AM »
Primetime. He asked for 30 minutes to an hour.

So you're saying when we vote every 4 years for president and we get 20%-30% turnout, we oughta throw the results out because not enough people voted?

rofl. Teach me some math junior.   :)

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: hblair ]

Offline Frost

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2001, 09:50:00 AM »
For

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2001, 09:52:00 AM »
Yeah, we get a 20-30% turn out all the time don't we....

Err wait... Over 50% of the nation votes.

That's a lot different than 20-30%, isn't it?

Not to mention, how ever many people were in the MA does not represent all of the customers playing AH either.

So you probably had roughly 15% of AH's players voting.

Man, that's definitely a general consensus and puts me in the minority!

Again, check your math senior.
-SW

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2001, 09:52:00 AM »
When gallup does a poll they DO call every husehold in the US? Or 200 to 500? (the answer is 200-500)

Theres over 260 million people in the US. Do the math there trig boy. What's the percentage of the total population?

That poll cannot possibly be correct though!

:p

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2001, 09:56:00 AM »

That poll cannot possibly be correct though!

It isn't a representative poll, it's a generalization poll.

Maybe you don't know the difference.

Fact is, I'm paying 30$ a month. Just about everyone playing AH is paying 30$ a month to play.

So you are going to tell me that 15% of the people playing AH can decide for everyone else their opinion of radar?

That might work when it works for you, I'd be damned amazed if you accepted the results of the above poll if it were reversed.
-SW