Author Topic: Why does everyone whine about the N1K?  (Read 964 times)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Why does everyone whine about the N1K?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2002, 01:31:22 PM »
Originally posted by Charon

I don't know about the N1K2 specifically, but according to Jeff Ethell and some other recent test pilots the Bearcat is supposed to show limited effects of torque and p-factor (for example, practically no rudder input on takeoff) so I think it is possible to design an aircraft with a lot of power and little weight that can behave in this way. Again, I haven't read either way on the N1K2 in this regard.

Charon

The Niki wasn't like that in real life, it really did have a vicious torque problem, especially at high and low speeds.  In McGuire's Combat Tactics in the South West Pacific, he states that at high speeds some Japanese planes like the 'Tony' and 'George' (N1K2) couldn't turn to the right at high speeds from the torque and that at low speeds near the stall speed threshold, the engine torque was a major factor.  

Ack-Ack

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2002, 02:05:16 PM »
It's no great secret why the N1K is so good.  4 cannons, lots of ammo, and the maneuverability to point them at you quickly.  The N1K has enough climb to stop you from climbing away, enough speed to stop Spits from leaving when low and anything it can't catch it can HO with 4 cannons or spray out to D800 and never worry about running out of ammo.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out why the N1K is pretty good.  For anyone who takes the time though, or has something faster, the N1K is easy food.  Only the Spit dudes should really have bad problems with them when low.

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2002, 02:14:09 PM »
Originally posted by Soda
It doesn't take a genius to figure out why the N1K is pretty good.  For anyone who takes the time though, or has something faster, the N1K is easy food.  Only the Spit dudes should really have bad problems with them when low.

No problems with them here.  I consider N1Ks priorities in a furball only because they're quick and easy to kill, and doing so clears out some of the flotsam in a hurry.  Otherwise, I don't consider them much of a bother.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2002, 05:54:52 PM »
Eh, I personally don't whine about the Niki, but then again I fly it about once in a blue-moon (with an ENY that high the kills you get are next to worthless anyway).

The reason people whine generally is that it is easy to fly, packs a tremendous punch, and has a huge ammo pack. Its one of the few cannon armed crates you can comfortably spray and pray in. If the plane had the same amount of ammo as say the Hurri C you wouldn't hear people whining about it - well maybe not as much at least.

My opinion, FWIW: Its a late war plane, and they only made a few hundred. Make it as rare in the MA as it was in WW2. Perk it and be done (this'll never happen, so learn to live with it)

- SEAGOON

Oh and yeah, yeah, I know "Shut Up Niki Dweeb"
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2002, 06:36:33 PM »
Okay, for those who don;t know, I'm the originator of this thread (TL, DR), and I have to say that those guns are a bit large.  One time, before my two week trial had even ended, I found myself 1 on 1 with an F4-U.  I don't remember the exact situation, but I do know that the guy was outflying me easily.  He had landed a few good pings on me (I think a flap and a gun were damamged) and was pretty much constantly on my six.  I did something in my wild maneuvers to shoot myself up and then roll down to get a quick glimpse of his tail.  I took the shots and with only ONE ping I saw his whole tail go flying into the sea.  I think that's when I decided that I should stick with the N1K.

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2002, 07:35:37 PM »
i dont care about the nik its one of the easyer planes to kill along with the p38 and p47.. newer members will always be atracted to the big guns...

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2002, 03:58:58 AM »
No problem here . There is an AH squad called 343 kokutai . Know what the 343 kokutai flew in real life ? Saburo Sakai was a "nikdweeb"

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2002, 05:31:36 AM »
Folks whine when they get their butt handed to them....of course, it could never have anything to do with how they fly could it?:rolleyes:

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2002, 07:51:23 AM »
Originally posted by hazed-
fly something that requires more skill to survive in or get kills in.

This line always cracks me up.

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2002, 08:22:42 AM »
Niki .. niki....
once upon time in Aces High N1K`s FM was somehow wrong... it dove better that P51, it could loop and keep gaining altitude.. and so on ... from those times are all N1K 'pilots' called NIKi dweebs..... and i have to join them :)

one who flys niki do ****** sheep

:D

btw greeting Mitsu :cool:

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2002, 01:20:31 PM »
The ignorance of newbies always stands out with Niki whines.  Old timers understand the challenge of flying Niks. Its not getting kills in the thing.  Its landing them.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2002, 03:08:36 PM »
Seriously though, there's a little test proposed by bozon, which was posted in DaLadyzMon's thread named "Fighting that D*mn N1K".

* Up a N1K, 100% fuel
* Accelerated to about 250mph after getting up 1000 feet.
* Gently pull on the stick until the speed drops under 100mph
* Hold the pitch angle manually so the speed ranges steadily between 80~95mph.

With the stall warnings kicking in the N1K holds it's yaw, pitch and roll axis super steady and climbs that way in 80~95mph at 2700~3000fpm indefinately.

I tried the test with a Spit9, A6M5, Bf109G-10 and La-7.

The Spit9 encountered shaking in the roll/yaw axis when it prolonged that super-low speed climb for too long, and soon, had to let the nose down a little to get some more speed over 100mph to regain stable control.

The A6M5 was very stable, much the same as the N1K2.

The Bf109G-10, once the speed hits under 100mph, couldn't hold that angle of climb manually and stalled.

Ditto with the La-7.

No wonder the N1K2 seemed to follow zooms like a helicopter. Anything short of a direct 90 degrees zoom, the N1K2 can follow. Even a Bf109G-10 stalls before the N1K2 does.

I'm a layman at aerodynamics. So here's my question.

If there's a plane that has massive torque, which is flying at high AoA at 80~100mph, shpuldn't it eventually stall out(like the Spitfires did?)?

I understand planes with low wing loading have lower stall speeds and are usually much more stable near stall conditions.... but is what the N1K2 is capable of doing normal? :confused:

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2002, 03:19:57 PM »
n1k2 isn't a very light airplane, I don't know how heavy it's prop is , or how much torque it's engine produces . I know it doesn't do a very good tail slide like a zero or a spit .

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2002, 10:09:21 PM »
Anyone have any charted stall speeds or links to performance data for the N1K2?

Like this one for the P-51?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2002, 10:13:45 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2002, 10:55:24 PM »
Subaro Sakai flew A6m2's.  He test flew a N1K.