Author Topic: WW2OL, 2nd Impressions  (Read 4501 times)

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2002, 09:35:17 PM »
My NDA prevents my telling:)

HC

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2002, 10:02:32 PM »
Just bought 512 mb of RD800 ram, which puts the total up to 640mb.  Will I be able to fly?

Sys Specs:
P4 1.3ghz
Gf3 Ti500
640mb RD800 RAM

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2002, 10:11:19 PM »
Sure Nacho, works for me.  In fact, I landed 4 kills in two sorties just tonight :)  I was happy.

AMD Tbird 1.2ghz
384mb PC2100 ddr
Gf3 Ti200

I also have the vid card tuned down a TAD.. otherwise it overheats.  I have a makeshift sink+fan replacement fan on the card held in place by toothpicks and rubber bands :D  Doesnt offer the best FR in the world, but it sure gets hte job done.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2002, 06:19:44 AM »
My attempt ended in a hard lockup after killing at least two- first sortie. I sorta wandered off in a different direction after that. Same old "chase the 109's vultching the aerodrome" anyway...

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2002, 07:57:46 AM »
Kieran,

as if you shouldn't be familiar with the runstang phenomen already ;)

oh.. which brings to my mind, you've been one of the runstangers :)

Offline EvilDingo

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mp3.com/einsteinband
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2002, 08:19:09 AM »
The 109s only rarely get away from me. I try to arrive at the fight at a reasonable alt -- in WWIIOL 6,000ft is usually enough. Then I BnZ. Avoid the temptation to stick on their six and just make one gun pass each zoom.

If they do try to run, I can usually run them down. Kieran, do you have the engine running at max rpm?

One thing I notice a lot of them doing is attempting to rope when they're going too slow. They hit the top of their loop and I blast them.

The French are getting the D.520 in the next (few?) patch/version/whatever. The most interesting aspect is that an aircraft with that performance will actually be competitive. The joys of historically matching aircraft with their era.

Beeker

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2002, 08:47:12 AM »
Ode, still running the 600mhz processor? I'm surprised you could fly at all. Those .000001 FPS are from running out of free ram and it hits the HD when you see new stuff, towns, ppl, etc. Everything is attritted including INF now. You gave it a shot, sorry it isnt there for you yet.

HC

Offline AtmkRstr

• Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2002, 09:25:30 AM »
I'm going to try out the ground war part on Dec 19th, but before I subscribe, WWIIOL will need:

i)  integrated voice
ii) visible damage on aircraft

Both of these are incredibly important and I wouldn't even fly for free without these features.  

I'm very impressed with the new vehicles and infantry animations, and I'm looking forward to playing with attrition. The infinite Chars made the game unplayable when I played last.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2002, 09:26:02 AM »
Oedipus,

You know, hearing the shot after the hit is a real thing ;)
(although when it hits you in the game, you'll go deaf blind and dead, so no hearing of the shot)

but well.. those moonwalker infs are annoying, more so than the planes :I

What comes to keeping to play WWIIOL..  I like it's more complete enviroment more than say, AH's :)
Already played AH so much in the past that it became repeative - take-off, find a fight, get some kills and go home or get killed or bomb down the field and bring in the goon.
Can't talk about tanking, with MGs killing them and having no terrain.
So as AH and WWIIOL are really the only choice (WB.. bah!), the WWIIOL gives me more options.

Everyone likes of different things in a different way :)
For Oedipus WWIIOL is a quank and for me AH is a quank and so on.

I haven't had a CTD or such severe problems with WWIIOL for a long time.. for months.
Twice had a problem with starting to play WWIIOL sometimes when I've played HOI prior to WWIIOL.
For some reason HOI also likes to CTD so that I have to reboot the comp to be able to play again or windows gets messed up even more and I have to cold boot :I
Obviously even without CTD's it can affect to other games..

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2002, 09:41:31 AM »
Not going to bore you with more stories but just the final verdict:

Box in trash!!
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2002, 09:58:40 AM »
oh.. which brings to my mind, you've been one of the runstangers

A) I killed two of them and was set to get more when the lockup occurred.

B) The lockup occurred for me, and when it did I wasn't interested enough to restart the game. Been there, done that.

C) What does my having flown and spent time in every plane in AH have to do with what I saw in WWIIOL? (think about it... I was a trainer, it was kind of a good idea to spend time in everything) Sheesh, I could have just as easily been the 109 doing the vultching, and I would have been just as bored.

If you don't want personal attacks or a flame war on the subject, don't start one. My one or two line comment on my last experience is innocuous enough, and I certainly didn't say anything about you.

P.S. My ride of choice in AH is the 190A5. ;)

Offline EvilDingo

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mp3.com/einsteinband
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2002, 10:40:53 AM »
WWIIOL is clunky. This is why I wasn't able to play it until now. I run at 60fps pretty much all the time now. It drops to 40ish when I'm in a large battle with a city below me. This is with 1024x786x32 resolution and best visual features and maximum draw distance.

But it is clunky. It -feels- like the code is unoptimized. The sound engine is really bad. None of this bothers me anymore due to the fact that WWIIOL is very playable for me.

You can't directly compare WWIIOL to AH. One is a large-scale battle simulation, and one is an aircraft simulation. WWIIOL's ground war is a masterpiece. I personally think that the air war is good too. AH obviously does air combat right, but it's the combination of options that draws me to WWIIOL.

I have accounts for both at the moment and am eagarly anticipating v1.11 for AH.

I'm going to try out the ground war part on Dec 19th, but before I subscribe, WWIIOL will need:

i) integrated voice
ii) visible damage on aircraft

Both of these are incredibly important and I wouldn't even fly for free without these features.

AH is really on the ball with integrated voice and check six calls. I'd say they set the standard. WWIIOL doesn't have integrated voice, but not even AH has visible damage on aircraft.

When you shoot someone in WWIIOL, like in AH, they could spring a leak of something or other (like gas, oil). Individual engines can catch fire (as can the fuel tank). The only visual damage aspect that AH has that WWIIOL doesn't are pieces breaking off. If someone riddles you with 20mm, your tail wont fall off. Neither will your wings. Although your aircraft does take progressive damage. Damage to your wings, tail, rudder are all felt in the flight dynamics.

I wish either AH or WWIIOL would adopt the type of visible damage that IL2 does. It's fun just looking at the holes in your wings.

Beeker

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2002, 12:15:28 PM »
Vis damage is way high on list. I know when I lose a wing:D

If it is not where you want it to be, check back again when they offer.

HC

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2002, 12:31:45 PM »
Kieran,

Geez.. that was no personal insult.
You took it way too seriously.

I remember well one kieren guy in P51 raking bottom of my Fw190A8 from the time during the 278 streak.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2002, 01:16:53 PM »
I'm only interested in flying.  I don't really care for tank or infantry, and as such, I didn't try either of those aspects out over the weekend.  

Flying seems to be a bit improved since the last re-evaluation.  Engine overheating is in, and you can damage your engine if you run max RPM and full manifold pressure.  Adding WEP on top of that makes the radiator heat up faster (obviously.)  You need to pay attention to your gauges unless you want to be limping home.  I would take off and climb a bit at max RPM and throttle, then back it off to economy/and enough throttle to gently climb or maintain whatever alt I was at.  Kept the engine cool so I could go full power (and WEP when necessary) without getting overheated.  I liked that added "immersion" or "difficulty." take your pick on the term.   Flight models are slightly different.  I'm not going to say which is right, but AH feels better to me, but WWIIOL is getting better.

The Axis seem to have better pilots, at least in the times I was on.   I ran into a few 109s that came in with alt and didn't relinquish that advantage.  The rest would get frustrated with my evasions and start to blow that advantage, and then they'd go home with a leak or ditch (I damaged quite a few without getting kills, so I guess you only get a "kill" if the pilot actually dies.  Flaming the plane isn't good enough!)  I had a couple of solid kills, the most memorable in the Hurri being my last sortie of the night.  I followed a 109 around, but couldn't catch him, so I turned back.  Nothing else was in the area, so I started to head to another contested area.  I gave a quick look around, trimmed the plane to fly level and ran to the kitchen to put clothes in the dryer.  I come back to check on the plane and see 20mm exploding in front of me!  I break and realize how lucky I was.  A 110c had found me, but he had started off too far below me and couldn't get up to my alt.  I grinned knowing I held all the cards.  I kept the advantage on him, and started to work him into the perfect shot.  A 109 came around about this time, co-alt or a little lower.  I pushed harder on the 110c and got in position.  I aimed the pipper over his right engine and fired.  A sustained burst flamed the right engine as I flew past him.   I went up and back over and raked across his fuselage and wings, and he began to nose over and go down.

The 109 had more smash than I thought and was well over me at this point.  He wasn't a good shot though, and got tired of the longer BnZ passes and turned flat after going under me, giving away much of his E advantage.  Then he did the dumbest thing of looping.  I think he had lost sight of me, as I ended up on his 6, and his head rest might have blocked the straight up view, and high 5 and 7 views.  I tried some high G shots, but it wasn't happening so I just remained patient.  He started turning a bit, trying to find me.  He then went vertical again, but this time, I was able to close the distance on the loop.  I hit the gunsight zoom, and at the top of the loop, his plane filled my sight.  I fired and could sit the rounds strike their mark on BOTH wing roots simultaneously (he was a bit too close given the default convergence!)  As I pulled more lead, I could see the hits walk up his wing roots and as he yawed bit my right MG fire raked across his canopy and engine cowlings.  His 109 engine burst into flames and the plane nosed over with no attempt to try and pull out.  I assume I hit his pilot as well.  In the gunsight view, the hits on the 109 weren't as eye candy like as Il-2, but were much better than our big ol' hit sprites in AH.

I mainly flew the Hurri I, though I did hop over to Axis to try the 109.  I died twice in the 109.  Once was me being greedy and thinking I could BnZ 6 Hurris!  I could, but as I was coming down, two were going up and got a lucky shot.  Pilot hit, screen red, when I came to, the ground was right there!  bam!   Other one was pulling too many G's going after a Hawk 75.  That time I hit the ground while greying out.  :o  Overall, I enjoyed the 109, I think mainly because when you hit with those 20mm exploding shells you KNOW it!  :D  I hurt two Spitfires near the Belgian coast.  They both went down, but I guess they ditched as I only got 2 damaged, no kills.  Another sortie I nailed a Hurricane (this was the one where they got the lucky pilot hit on me.)  The sortie were I killed myself was really fun at first.  I saw a Blenheim below and I split S'ed down on him.  I aimed for the left wing, fired, and saw two explosions right on the engine as my 20mm found their mark.  The engine immediately bellowed flames and trailed thick black smoke.  The Blen spun out of control.  It was sweet, because he couldn't have been more than 30 seconds from his drop target!  I shot down a Hawk that sortie as well, but then hit the ground while chasing another Hawk.  The 109E in WWIIOL handles much easier than the AH version.  I dunno which is more correct.

I only had one plane disappear on me, but the icon never left, so I was able to keep tailing it.  (I shoulda ran, I was the only Allied fighter in a mess of 6+ Axis planes, one of which is a good shot.)  My framerate was very playable the whole time.  Only for a brief second here and there did the game chug (when loading in lots of combatants.)  The lack of integrated voice and Chk 6 calls was noticed.  I couldn't really talk to anyone around me during the fight, especially at one point when I was flying near pilots from a different origin than my own.  Range VOX would have been very helpful at times, as would a simple Chk 6 call.  :(

Of course, I had no Mongrels to fly with in WWIIOL, so that's a huge minus for me.  However, if given the choice between flying WWIIOL or AH main arena without my squaddies in either, I'd choose WWIIOL 75% of the time (the other 25% would be to fly planes other than what WWIIOL has.)  I like immersion as well as a good fight.  WWIIOL still doesn't come close to the fun I have in TODs with the Mongrels, or in a Snapshot or Scenario.

I'm not sure I'll subscribe to WWIIOL, but I'm getting closer.  I do know that even if I do, I'll never leave AH, unless all my squaddies left!  ;)  There's room on my hard drive for both, and to me, enough reason to play both (assuming WWIIOL doesn't sour on me during the rest of the re-eval.)  I don't care if the rest of you like WWIIOL or hate it, but I had fun playing it over the weekend.  If I continue to have fun, I think it'd be worth the fee.  :)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.