Author Topic: mp3'ers beware  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« on: January 22, 2003, 02:04:36 PM »
Verizon Must Reveal Internet Song Swapper

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Recording companies won a victory in their fight against online piracy on Tuesday when a U.S. court ordered Verizon Communications to turn over the name of a customer suspected of downloading more than 600 songs in one day over the Internet.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 02:23:08 PM »
Big Brother Inc. is watching You.

What the hell happened to privacy?

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 02:38:36 PM »
and how did the record companies find this out?

the startup spy companies working for the riaa are doing some borderline, if not outright, illegal toejam.

...but its ok.  we, as a nation, are all for giving up butt loads of freedom.  just slap a label on what the "bad guys" are doing and its an easy sell.

orwell was completey wrong on the date.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 02:42:50 PM »
They've been watching for a while now.  I got this email a few months ago.  It's edited a bit for privacy, but when they sent it they had all my info in it... name, address, IP, port, the whole deal.  

-------------------------------------------------------

I am the person at Michigan State University charged with investigating cases of computer abuse.  We recently received a letter from the legal office at the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) informing us that you are offering musical sound files on the Internet, and these songs are copyrighted by RIAA members.  They supplied the following logs in support of their complaint:

Infringement Details:
------------------------------
First Found: 27 Sep 2002 13:16:20 EDT (GMT -0400)
Last Found: 27 Sep 2002 13:16:20 EDT (GMT -0400)
Network: KaZaA
IP Address: ---------------
IP Port: ----
Protocol: FastTrack
Username: kazaaliteuser@KaZaA

What was located as infringing content:
------------------------------
Filename: PEARL_JAM_-_07-Thumbing_My_Way.mp3 (3,915kb)

This is a violation of state and federal copyright laws.  MSU does not allow its resources, including computer accounts, to be used for any illegal activity.

You must remove this copyrighted material from your server immediately.  Failure to do so will indicate that you do not intend to abide by the MSU Acceptable Use Policy, and it will therefore be necessary for us to close your computer account.

If you would like to meet with me to discuss this matter, you can call my secretary at --------- to arrange an appointment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Haven't shared files since.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 02:52:33 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
and how did the record companies find this out?

isn't all they'd have to do is sign up with kaaza and do a search?

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 02:56:41 PM »
Originally posted by Animal
Big Brother Inc. is watching You.

What the hell happened to privacy?

Privacy wasn't included in the Bill of Rights.  The closest you get is the right to not quarter soldiers in your home.

The only online privacy you get is what you contract for with your ISP and any online services for which you register.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 02:58:07 PM »
Use WinMX   :p

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 02:58:15 PM »
LOL!

MiniD

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 03:04:56 PM »
read this months wired.

firms are contracting with the record co.'s to snoop for info, place false files, miniature dns attacks and more.

when you say you are doing it to catch pirates, folks just go along.  but do you think these companies have the will power not to look at the other information they get?  and when they can get congress and more importantly, Microsoft, to go along with them, where will they stop?  will they want to?

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 03:08:34 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
firms are contracting with the record co.'s to snoop for info, place false files, miniature dns attacks and more.

I'll bet we start getting "push" ads from the record companies.  "Order your copy of 'American Idol Series II' today!  Featuring the hit singles 'Love Ballad', 'Love Ballad, Too', and 'Love Ballad Some More'!".

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2003, 03:13:01 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
I'll bet we start getting "push" ads from the record companies.  "Order your copy of 'American Idol Series II' today!  Featuring the hit singles 'Love Ballad', 'Love Ballad, Too', and 'Love Ballad Some More'!".

now you did it, legal mp3's with ads crammed in the front and rear just like they've done at movie houses and dvds

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2003, 03:17:13 PM »
"The Big Story with John Gibson" (Foxnews) touched on this last night.  Several people wrote in along the lines that if CD prices weren't $17.99 and contained 12 crap songs and 1 good one, folks might be more inclined to BUY it versus download it

How many of us have shelled out $16-$17 for a CD and groaned that a majority of the tunes are crap

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2003, 03:25:10 PM »
LePaul

Be careful with WinMX, on Long Island the broadband provider here has slapped bandwidth restrictions on anyone using WinMX, so you download at a MUCH lower rate.

How do they know? Easy all you need to know is what port it runs on.

And yes there are very very few CD's that I like a majority of the songs.

Offline Makofan

• Copper Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2003, 03:25:16 PM »
Fewer people would circumvent the regular channels of purchasing if the value was more commensurate with the price.  This is an obvious tenet in a free market system.  Thus, the prices must be being kept artificially high by some monopolistic or collusive actions.  These companies, then, deserve to be circumvented

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2003, 03:31:05 PM »
well stop listening to mainstream crap if you hate it so much.  Americans seem to have forgotten the great art of boycott....Throw the Tea in the Sea , we don't need it.

so they have record companys looking a ip headers?