Author Topic: mp3'ers beware  (Read 4500 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2003, 07:51:25 PM »
Originally posted by rpm371
So you are getting busted for stealing copyrighted material and you ain't happy?:confused:
ahhhhhh ......

better not... i have stayed out of this topic everywhere except person - person 1 on 1 and with 2 hours to waste.

i'll say this though:

record lables told the public that CD's would be under $9 US in the first 3 years after they came out.
where the f*** has that promise gone?
where is the money for the actual ARTISTS that wrote and recorded the songs?

these fat lazy rich record execs know nothing but how to pad their pockets. F*** the ALL!

oh well my 2¢

Ps. i have over 1900 mp3's i have DL'd and going strong. (80% i have bought on LP or tape long ago so i ALLREADY onw the song.)
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2003, 09:16:55 PM »
Ahh the beauty of MIRC, you want Madonna's new CD a week beofre it comes out look no further

bot queue total dl record current dl # size last seen description
m-dccx06  66.9kbs 0 7 27m 0.08h madonna-american_life_(cds1)-2003-rns  
mm-dcc16  52.4kbs 0 1 69m 0.13h madonna-american-life-(explicit_retail)-2003-osc  

Or better yet you want M$ XP Pro operating system but dont feel like forking over $200

wotever30 910, 18.1kbs 4 1 548m 2.31h microsoft.windows.xp.corporat e.edition.sp1.intergrated.pro pe r-rfm  

Dont feel like paying $500 for M$ office well here ya go

[wn]-x-017 1120, 44.2kbs 39 1 395m 1.04h ms office xp pro +
crack [app]

Ahh yes the beauty of broadband and hackers.

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2003, 05:43:27 AM »
One word:

R E M I X E S

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
UPDATE
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2003, 03:04:27 PM »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE Eagle RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Peda

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2003, 03:29:45 PM »
Piracy is a phony issue that record labels are hyping  to rip off artists. Piracy has always existed. That's why there's a mountain of blank cassettes in any big electronic store.

When someone decides to buy your music instead of  copying it, they're doing it for a lot of reasons. Maybe  they're ethical. Maybe they like the convenience of not having  to hassle with the uncertainty of copying something --  Will it  come out right? Is it done yet? Maybe it's their way of expressing good will to you.

But face it, if your music wasn't available for free in  some form, no one would have a chance to hear it to decide  to buy it in the first place. The old form of "free" music was  radio (which is often taped by pirates) and MTV, but  eventually the Internet is going to take over everything. There  will still be TV and radio, but they'll be implemented  digitally. Give it 10 years. When that happens, the idea of not  giving away music for free will be exactly the same thing as  never promoting music at all.

The real question should not be, "How can I keep my  fans from hearing my music for free?" It should be, "How can  I best make money from my fans?" Those are two different  questions. Sure, you "lose" money to pirates. But you  also  lose money to a label that isn't doing anything for you.

It used to be that a label was needed to finance,manufacture, store, ship and market your music. That's how  they earned their cut. The arrangement made sense. If the  music business wasn't shrinking before our eyes, it  would  still make sense.

But in the digital era, it costs nothing to ship your  music over the Internet to a fan. So the biggest reason for  labels  just went away.

As for financing, well, if advances were stacked up  against finance deals in other industries, they'd look a lot  like usury    -- except that they aren't even loans: once they'repaid  back, the label still owns the master. There is simply  no  worse conceivable form of financing. We can do better  if we  take charge of our own careers.

But what about marketing? Can labels still do that? Of  course they can, for a few big acts. But once you are  established, your own Web site connects with your fan  base  better than the label can.

Even if you are a huge artist, think whether in the  course of  your whole career, not just the next couple of years, you lose more money to pirates or to labels who will be  taking most of your money for no reason at all?

When somebody in a dorm room buys thousands of dollars'   worth of gear and stays up all night hacking MP3's just  to get  "free" music, that's what you call an opportunity, not a  problem. You have found yourself a new generation of  fanatics. The only problem is that computer companies are making the money right now instead of musicians.

Labels can't prevent piracy. No one can. I know computers as well as anyone on the planet, and I promise you, kids will break whatever copy protection scheme the labels come up  with. And the industry knows it.

In fact, the easier it is to copy music, the less of a  threat piracy will become. When piracy gets easier,  professional  pirates have less to offer. The only pirates left will  be fans.

And there are lots of ways to make money from fans.

The reason the Recording Industry Association ofAmerica and the labels are pushing anti-piracy laws and  technologies has nothing to do with preventing piracy. They're doing  it so that they can control the new digital music channels.

To  keep anyone else, like you, from sharing the power.

They're doing it to rip you off. Period.

You can make more money in the new era of "free" digital  music. But only if you break free of label mind control.

- Jaron Lanier

This was/is a software engineer from nintendo.  He created the "nintendo power glove" thingy.  Big on virtual reality and such.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2003, 04:03:44 PM »
"Dinosaurs Will Die"
by NOFX

Kick back watch it crumble
See the drowning, watch the fall
I feel just terrible about it
That's sarcasm, let it burn

I'm gonna make a toast when it falls apart
I'm gonna raise my glass above my heart
Then someone shouts "That's what they get!"

For all the years of hit and run
For all the piss broke bands on VH1
Where did all, their money go?
Don't we all know

Parasitic music industry
As it destroys itself
We'll show them how it's supposed to be

Music written from devotion
Not ambition, not for fame
Zero people are exploited
There are no tricks, up our sleeve

Gonna fight against the mass appeal
We're gonna kill the 7 record deal
Make records that have more than one good song
The dinosaurs will slowly die
And I do believe no one will cry
I'm just f***ing glad I'm gonna be
There to watch the fall

Prehistoric music industry
Three feet in la brea tar
Extinction never felt so good

If you think anyone would feel badly
You are sadly, mistaken
The time has come for evolution
F*** collusion, kill the five

Whatever happened to the handshake?
Whatever happened to deals no-one would break?
What happened to integrity?
It's still there it always was
For playing music just because
A million reason why
All dinosaurs will die
All dinosaurs will die
All dinosaurs will die

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2003, 04:45:12 PM »
Surley a case for X-files :cool:

Scully !!!!

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2003, 05:06:53 PM »
SAVE THE BUGGYWHIP FACTORIES!!!!!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
update..............................
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2003, 03:45:34 PM »
RIAA Plans Lawsuits Against File Traders

"The chief lobby group of the nation's major recording labels today said it would file hundreds of lawsuits against Internet users who illegally trade copyrighted music files.

The lawsuits will target people who share "substantial" amounts of copyrighted music, but anyone who shares illegal files is at risk, RIAA President Cary Sherman said in a conference call today. The first round of lawsuits will be prepared during the next eight to 10 weeks. They will ask for injunctions and monetary damages against file swappers, Sherman said."
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE Eagle RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Peda

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2003, 03:51:31 PM »
All those starving lawyers must be salivating....

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2003, 04:58:14 PM »
The music industry didn't evolved for ... what ... like 50 years? Still the same concept, a CD with all the songs of the artist.

You like 1 song, if it's not released as a single, you need to buy the full pakage.

Well ... it's time for them to adapt and review the concept. Dono what, maybe like "order your songs and videos and we burn it for you"... kinds of "a la carte" artists CDs.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2003, 05:10:16 PM »
The big labels recently settled out of court in a big pricing fixing case in the US (I believe inflating prices US$13 per CD).

80% of music revenue comes from 3% of 'artists'.

You have to buy the whole CD when you just want one song.

As long as the RIAA are thieves I have no sympathy for them.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2003, 05:18:01 PM »
Yup, was part of that settlement, waiting for my $13 check  :P

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2003, 05:36:25 PM »
What's the difference between these two lines of thinking:

1. CD prices are too high and the CDs usually only have 2 good songs on them and the rest are crap. I'm pirating the songs because record companies are a scam and they can bite me for all I care.

2. Ien have let Warbirds become stagnant. We offered to help them as well as offering to set up servers for them here in Russia. They refused our help so they can bite me for all I care.

In both cases, it denies a basic tenet of capitalism... and that is that the companies can do just whetever the hell they want. You don't HAVE to pay for their product. But just because you don't agree with the way the companies do business DOESN'T make theft of their product acceptable. You only have 2 choices: pay for their product or don't.

(I should add.... I pirate tunes all the time... I'm just not kidding myself about what it is I'm actually doing when I download songs off the net).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 05:56:29 PM by Nash »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2003, 05:47:28 PM »
So I can't share music with someone else? BS! Am I supposed to stick my fingers in my ears and hum when some band does a cover tune?

Those neanderthal Music Companies are like a drowning man refusing the rope. Music is falling from the sky for free, and they want us to ignore it. Sure!