Author Topic: mp3'ers beware  (Read 4501 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2003, 12:20:29 PM »
Good idea, Muckmaw....now write to Sony, Arista, etc....and see if you can't land yourself a nice VP job with such clever thinking!

Who said common sense wasn't common ?  :p

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2003, 12:36:42 PM »
Good point, Mickey.  And I'm sure the RIAA will be keen to follow strict guidelines when obtaining information about users on the Intardnet.  No way they'd stray and request info of users that weren't doing anything wrong!

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline BEVO

• Copper Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2003, 01:07:48 PM »
Udie's been smoking the bong again.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2003, 01:45:54 PM »
Originally posted by Udie
LOL

I always find this issue funny.  People getting pissed off because they are caught in thier thievery.

Plain and simple it's a copyright violation to do what you mp3'rs do, which is against the law.  PERIOD.

I hope they throw the book at this guy....

If the issue was so "plain and simple," it would be so obvious that even the artists would agree:

Janis Ian doesn't: http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html

Courtney Love doesn't: http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/print.html
sand

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2003, 02:06:26 PM »
hows that pot working out for ya udie :)

love ya bro.

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2003, 02:17:30 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
-------------------------------------------------------
Infringement Details:
------------------------------
First Found: 27 Sep 2002 13:16:20 EDT (GMT -0400)
Last Found: 27 Sep 2002 13:16:20 EDT (GMT -0400)
Network: KaZaA
IP Address: ---------------
IP Port: ----
Protocol: FastTrack
Username: kazaaliteuser@KaZaA

What was located as infringing content:
------------------------------
Filename: PEARL_JAM_-_07-Thumbing_My_Way.mp3 (3,915kb)

I’ve always wondered about this mp3 stuff. How does the RIAA truly know that a file is an “illegal” mp3? Since filenames can be easily changed do they have a way of actually reading the file contents to determine if it is indeed an mp3? If they can’t then I don’t see how they can proof their case.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2003, 04:09:03 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
If the issue was so "plain and simple," it would be so obvious that even the artists would agree:

Janis Ian doesn't: http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html

Courtney Love doesn't: http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/print.html

well the certainly have that right to NOT copyright thier material.  Read the copy right info on a cd or tape or record sometime.

btw, I'm an artist too and I'd love to have my stuff out there bouncing around the web but my old base player doesn't so it's not....

Offline BEVO

• Copper Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2003, 04:18:06 PM »
I love the clear channel ad for pirated music.....
here's your debut CD
Here's your debut CD after 63 million people have downloaded off the internet....... for free......... any questions?
ummmmmm, yeah, I got one....... you're telling me that 63 million people are listening to my debut CD? dude, you can't pay for that kind of advertisement! my concerts are gonna be sold out! I'm gonna be rich!
Thanks napster!

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2003, 04:30:43 PM »
Not that I'm "against" the illegal downloading of music but geez louise, whats with the attitude that a person has the "right" to break law?  "Something" needs to be done about the recording industries rip-off of consumers but then again.. it's the consumer that ALLOWED this to happen.  Illegaly downloading music is just that.. illegal (criminal.. ie: wrong).

It's only music for cryin out loud.  Want to make a statement?... don't buy the crap.  Who's going to risk jail time over a freekin SONG?  Just wondering.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2003, 04:42:06 PM »
i got a cd burner in 1996, and i havnt paid for 1 cd since. screw the RIAA. coperate america has been ripping you and me and everyone else off for years. here is one industry that the internet is helping destroy. YAAAAAY.  now if only we can find a way to pump electricity over the net so we can start destroying the power companys.

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2003, 04:45:03 PM »
tumor, the record companies have been doing that since before there was an internet. So one is not the cause of the other.

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2003, 04:56:28 PM »
Jail I'd think is too harsh a sentence for downloading music off the net I'd think a better punishment would  bea fine for downloading music.

I do agree that this works best for the artistis since they get people listenig to their music, andpropagating faster than some crappy video on Corporate Music Televesion.

IMO that's the way I'd think they'd have to evolve and control internet delivery of songs and or from the Music Store having a direct link to the Sony or which ever other music company and downloading making the CD and selling it to them there.

Imagine instead of huge rows of CDs in a music store just serversconecting to various music websites and or in store Hardrives where you could make buy your own CDs from there.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2003, 05:33:28 PM »
Originally posted by Glasses
Imagine instead of huge rows of CDs in a music store just serversconecting to various music websites and or in store Hardrives where you could make buy your own CDs from there.
Been there, done that. Pay a tenner and pick 12 songs. Come back an hour later and they're burnt to a CD. That was a few years back and I'm pretty sure it was a single labels artists but the whole idea was fantastic.

I can't even remember where I got it now. It might have been the Virgin shop on Oxford Street in London... maybe. I wonder if they still do it...?

Gatso

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2003, 05:34:29 PM »
from yahoo.com:

"By Andy Sullivan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A federal court denied a request to shut down Internet song-swapping services Grokster and Morpheus on Friday, handing a stunning setback to the record labels and movie studios that have sought to curb unauthorized downloading of their works.

U.S. District Court Judge Stephen Wilson said the two services should not be shut down because they cannot control what is traded over their systems. Like a videocassette recorder, the software in question could be used for legitimate purposes as well as illicit ones, he said.

"It is undisputed that there are substantial noninfringing uses for (the) Defendants' software," wrote Wilson, who serves in Los Angeles.

A recording-industry trade group involved in the case said it would appeal.

Wilson's decision marks the first significant legal setback for the entertainment industry in its battle against the wildly popular "peer-to-peer" services that allow users to download movies, music and other files for free.

Federal courts have ordered earlier peer-to-peer services such as Napster (news - web sites) to shut down, and courts have so far supported the industry's efforts to track down individual peer-to-peer users, as well.

But Wilson's ruling gives Grokster, Morpheus and other Napster successors some legal basis on which to operate. Just as the Supreme Court in 1984 said videocassette recorders should not be outlawed because they can be used for legitimate purposes, peer-to-peer services should not be shut down even though users are certainly trading copyrighted movies and music, he said.

Grokster President Wayne Rosso said he was surprised by the decision because it showed that the judge understood the technology. Peer-to-peer services could be used to enable the Pentagon (news - web sites) to better share information, among other uses, he said, and the recording industry should try to work with such services rather than driving them out of business.

"Grokster doesn't and hasn't ever condoned copyright infringement," Rosso said. "We hope this sends a clear signal to the rights owners in this case to come to the table and sit down with us."

The Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites) said it was disappointed with the decision.

"Businesses that intentionally facilitate massive piracy should not be able to evade responsibility for their actions," RIAA CEO Hilary Rosen said in a statement.

Rosen highlighted two portions of the 34-page decision she found favorable: first, that individuals are accountable for copyright violations; and second, Wilson's statement that Grokster and Morpheus "may have intentionally structured their businesses to avoid secondary liability for copyright infringement, while benefiting financially from the illicit draw of their wares."

The Motion Picture Association of America, whose movie-studio members also filed suit, had no immediate comment.

The decision could also provide a shot in the arm to Kazaa, another popular peer-to-peer service involved in a separate legal battle with the entertainment industry. A Kazaa spokeswoman said the company's lawyers were still evaluating the decision.

A Morpheus investor, speaking to Reuters on the sidelines of a conference in Silicon Valley, said the decision would give his product a boost just as the company plans to roll out a new version.

"The timing of this couldn't be better," said Bill Kallman, a managing partner at Timberline Venture Partners, which has invested about $4 million in Morpheus since 1999.

"

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
mp3'ers beware
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2003, 05:43:25 PM »
So you are getting busted for stealing copyrighted material and you ain't happy?:confused:
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.