Author Topic: What happens if you die?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
What happens if you die?
« on: February 05, 2003, 11:49:37 AM »
That sums it up. If you die in the mission what happens to yor character or "career". Do you start over or do you get to do the mission over again? I can see how the "sim" folks woulfd be excited about this but what about the player that is going to spend less than 10 hours a week playing?

How do you get a mission? From a player or AI generated?

Do you sit in a "ready room" waiting for a mission to start?

As you acquire rank, what does that mean for the player?

You can see what variables I am concerned about here as I am curious how this will be a continuous play arena.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
What happens if you die?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 12:02:18 PM »
The word so far is

missions generated by host

new pilots need to earn their wing....ie training missions

A death penalty that is rather severe, you will will loose mission points

You will be demoted and advanced based on total points.

2nd. The Mission theater. We need a better name for this. AcesHigh "Fill In the blank"

This game will will be primarly geared toward role playing.
The outline of the game play items are as follows.
1. You will enter the game as a cadet and have to pass some training sorties to get your wings.
2. Once you get your wings you will be a 2nd LT with 500 carer points.
3. If you die you will loose aprox 100 career points.
4. If one your mission is a success you will recieve 10 carreer points.
5. If your points go to 0 you are demoted back to a cadet and have to go back threw training.
6. If you get 1000 Points you will be promoted to 1st LT.

Once your a 1st you will the loose 150 for a death and recieve 10 carreer points for mission successes. If you reach 0 your back to 2nd or 1000 your promoted. Along with a promtion comes better ground crews. So your guns might jam less,eng run better, but your expected perform a lot better. There's also medals and other stuff.

The point values in the example above are just for demonstration purposes just to give you an idea of how it will work.

Battles will last for a given period of time before moving onto the next phase of the war.

Missions with be automaticly generated by the host, and have a substantial AI componet of either bombers or ground vehicles.
Offensive missions will be primarly to protect bombers or vehicels, defensive to kill bombers, or vehicles.

You will have 2 avatars, one for axis one for allied. You will only be able to play 1 avatar per battle. There ranks will be independent.

The numbers as quoted above are only there as an examople of what ht has in mind. He stated they are not "set in stone".

He mentioned nothing about a "re-fly" option. A death most likely will be a death and will be scored as such.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 12:06:17 PM »
Also just flying 10hrs a week wont matter be rank and ascore are determined by mission sucess.

k/t wont matter

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 02:17:57 AM »
I think the ToD will be great fun... I just hope fighter sorties are as uneventful as most were in the war :)
Army of Muppets

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 02:30:41 AM »
I just don't like the "demoted back to cadet and go back through training" thang. I can handle being a career butter bar but I don't wanna spend my "AH career" in training. ;0)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
What happens if you die?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 11:20:23 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
I just don't like the "demoted back to cadet and go back through training" thang. I can handle being a career butter bar but I don't wanna spend my "AH career" in training. ;0)

Then you should pay attention in the training missions and try to do well once you are promoted. The idea of this "sim" will be to survive and do well in your assigned missions.

Offline Griego

• Copper Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 11:25:46 AM »
Bailing shouldn't be considered dieing just bail and open chute close to ground and hope that the SOB you were just fighting isn't a chute shooter.   If he is your dead then you can call him names on channel 1.   while he laughs his arse off.

Chute shooters can't stand them.  Somethin seriously wrong with them.:(

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 01:42:16 PM »
*takes note*

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
What happens if you die?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 02:46:49 PM »
Anyone that would publicly take on the worst movie ever hollywood fake gay plastic fool moniker “Maverick”, like 443,000 other 14 year old boys into Unreal Tournament and Air Warrior, should just be ignored.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 02:51:20 PM »
the chutes must die......

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2003, 02:57:52 PM »
hmmm... i wonder about the possibilities of this importance of death and survival... very interesting...

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2003, 03:21:51 PM »
Then I should what[/b]? Don't give me that arrogant  stuffed shirt drivel. I like playing AH as well as anyone (as I did AW). I don't pretend to be a point hoarder nor do I claim the patience or skill to do such. Developing a system that rewards the more skilled player is fine by me. Developing one that punishes the less skilled makes no sense at all. I thought the "idea" of AHII was to increase the immersion factor for the players, not run off all but "the best". If it ends up like that, you're welcome to it.

Like I said ... I've no problem staying on the bottom rung but being kicked off the ladder altogether and forced to start over time and again isn't going to inspire me.

Get bent, ya arrogant twit. :p

Midnight is all ....
Then you should pay attention in the training missions and try to do well once you are promoted. The idea of this "sim" will be to survive and do well in your assigned missions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2003, 03:26:09 PM by Arlo »

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2003, 03:56:09 PM »
Yup I agree arlo, and a feature that sends you back each time you die to training will discourage a ton of newbies from ever trying the TOD past their first death...

SKurj

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2003, 04:50:11 PM »
Originally posted by Creamo
Anyone that would publicly take on the worst movie ever hollywood fake gay plastic fool moniker “Maverick”, like 443,000 other 14 year old boys into Unreal Tournament and Air Warrior, should just be ignored.

Creamo,

You want to explain why you posted this? AFAIK, I have done nothing to you. BTW just where do you think I got the handle from? Don't you have anything to do beside bash people or is that how you make yourself feel better?

:confused:
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 05:27:27 PM »
you'd have to die 5 times in 5 straight sorties to get demoted back to cadet. Thats if we use the above point system. If you are going fly like that then why bother? There will be far more action in AHC.

The point system doesnt punish less skilled folks. It punishes anyone who dies equally. If you die every sortie no matter what your "skillz" are you wont make rank.

Its not like you are going to up into a 50 man furball. Or have to dive through ack or enemy to stop a "reset" or "base capture". The missions will be structured. Lotsa of flying until you come across the enemy. If mission numbers are regulated then you wont end up in too many impossible situations. The object is to live and complete your mission. It wont be where you suicide yourself to "complete the mission". The mission means nothing unless you live.

Positioning for the advantage, flying as a unit with good tactics are what will get you kills. Deciding when to engage and when to extend will be important. Its a different mindset then:

"oh well atleast I got 3...."

AHC will be there for that.