Author Topic: graphics engine on AH2  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2003, 07:46:17 AM »
Negative, I wasn't one who called him a geek, in fact, I posted pictures of a Tiger I built for my infant son for his first Halloween when he went as Rommel:

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2003, 12:38:27 PM »
Originally posted by Ike 2K#
I WARN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU WILL NEED AN ALIEN WARE PC OR YER OWN CUSTOMIZED HIGH POWERED PC TO GET SMOOTH FPS AND NICE GFX.

Well good thing my wife bought me a new alienware system then :D

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2003, 02:33:00 PM »
I am sorta worried...

I hope the game has AT LEAST WB III graphics.

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2003, 12:05:29 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
OpenGL used to be smoother/better then ActiveX, but that hasn't been true for a couple years.  Microsoft worked very closely with companies like nVidia and current DirectX stuff is superior to its OpenGL counterpart.

If OpenGL support were to be added, it would likely be to make the task of porting the sim to other platforms (like Mac or Linux) easier.  

There probably wouldn't be a performance increase, though.

do you think AH2 will also support T&L, anti-alliasing, ect?

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2003, 01:47:58 AM »
HTC knows that kind of system specs they need to have.  They're the ones with the market research guys.  

They're NOT going to cater AH2 to those few people (a vocal few for sure) who constantly upgrade so as to have the fastest PC available.   Remember that to ensure constant growth, HTC needs to appeal to the largest possible user base--eliminating much of that base by having "harcore gamer"-level system specs would be contrary to that goal.  In the end, graphics are good for little more than screenshots...it is the GAMEPLAY which will make or break the game, not the eye candy.

At best, those of you with ultra-fast (2 gig +) systems should hope that various levels of graphic detail are supported in AH2.  This would IMO be a wise feature for HTC to implement, since it would effectively provide AH2 with a built-in way of keeping up with people as they upgrade their systems.

That said, I wouldn't worry about the appearance of AH2.  Even now, the current version of the game looks fine--the new version will doubtlessly be a big improvement.  In a flightsim, the item most important for graphics/immersion is ground detail and terrain, which has already been noted by HTC as being much improved in AH2.

J_A_B

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2003, 12:27:20 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
HTC knows that kind of system specs they need to have.  They're the ones with the market research guys.  

They're NOT going to cater AH2 to those few people (a vocal few for sure) who constantly upgrade so as to have the fastest PC available.   Remember that to ensure constant growth, HTC needs to appeal to the largest possible user base--eliminating much of that base by having "harcore gamer"-level system specs would be contrary to that goal.  In the end, graphics are good for little more than screenshots...it is the GAMEPLAY which will make or break the game, not the eye candy.

At best, those of you with ultra-fast (2 gig +) systems should hope that various levels of graphic detail are supported in AH2.  This would IMO be a wise feature for HTC to implement, since it would effectively provide AH2 with a built-in way of keeping up with people as they upgrade their systems.

That said, I wouldn't worry about the appearance of AH2.  Even now, the current version of the game looks fine--the new version will doubtlessly be a big improvement.  In a flightsim, the item most important for graphics/immersion is ground detail and terrain, which has already been noted by HTC as being much improved in AH2.

J_A_B

im not worry about getting crapy graphics with my low-end system, im just worry that i may get lower and choppy FPS.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2003, 05:55:58 AM »
Originally posted by BenDover
wern't you one of the guys who called the guy who made the armour on here a geek?

sorry! i didn't call him a geek because he builds armour, it was the picture of him standing there in it pretending to be holding a sword.  I just typed what i was thinking!
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2003, 06:03:39 PM »
Hopefully AH2 will make use of the money I've put into my system, with an athlon 2800, 1gig ddr and a radeon 9700... I really do hope AH2 will at least almost catch up to the newer hardware.
Army of Muppets

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2003, 05:19:39 PM »
whatabout my hardware?

700mhz celeron
384mb SDRAM
Radeon 7500 PCI
20 gig HD

can it still catch up with the new AH2?

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2003, 01:20:59 PM »
Ike do you use a crank bar and axle grease to get that thing running in the mornings?

How many PSI does the steam kettle produce? :)

That's an artifact, not a computer. :eek:

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2003, 02:15:08 PM »
I think my toaster has more processing power.... ;)

In all reality Ike, HTC is benchmarking AH2 on a Pentium 3@900MHz with a GeForce2 64 video card.  For about $100 US you can get a Celeron 1.2GHz and a GeForce3 Ti200 64.

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2003, 11:43:56 PM »
Put it this way my girlfriend who never plays computer games but watches me from time to time said of the current AH graphics " That game looks like chit.....it looks so.....1999"  And this coming from someone who doesnt know squat about video games.  I agree with johnnyb make the graphics engine scalable...ex. turn of particle effects, disable shadowing.  P3 900 Gf2, gimme a break they are so gonna lose customers shooting for that lowball system.

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2003, 11:47:22 PM »
AMD XP1700+ $50
ECS K7SA Pro mobo $55
512 MB PC2100 DDR $50
GF3 Ti $50

$200 for a computer infinetly faster than a P3 900

Stop being cheapasses and upgrade, sell you components on ebay hell I sold my old p3 800 chip for $45, went out spent $5 on a brand new XP1600

Offline RockZ

• Zinc Member
geeez
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2003, 07:45:26 AM »
What are you guys here all talking about. The reason I think AH is great is not the graphics. It's the superrealistic aspect and the gameplay that does it(for me anyway). All the new generation games are all about graphics.. AH is more about gameplay, and I love the game for it:D. Off course the graphics do count, but if I see a game with better graphics it's not a reason for me to prefer that game..

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2003, 05:16:06 PM »
I get low FPS in AH on my current system. Hope AH2 will run well on my next system. :)