Author Topic: A Community Vote On The La-7  (Read 5741 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
A Community Vote On The La-7
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2003, 07:19:08 AM »
Urchin's statements seem right on the mark.

The interesting thing to me about the perk system, which has been mostly ignored, is that it created an "economy" of sorts within the game.  Players now "earn" and "spend" points on vehicles which have different "utility" for them, depending on the aircraft's performance and capabilities.   The planes themselves could even be considered "commodities", as their price drops when there are fewer players on a side competing for their use.

I'm not an EverQuest player, but I understand its hugely popular and addictive.   I've talked to a few players, and it seems to me that the game is kept fresh and interesting for them by the the constant pursuit of that "next" level, where they can get and use better equipment, etc.   When an EQ player logs in and starts a brand new character he certainly doesn't start at the top level with immediate access to everything.   That fact that players don't get everything right off the bat doesn't seem to drive players away, but rather seems to work to keep them interested in the game.

Just musing, but it doesn't seem difficult at all for HTC to use the perk system to take advantage of this principle...

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2003, 08:04:26 AM »
vulcan.. kb handles the La7 pretty well.   That makes one that I know of but there are doubtless many more who could do very well in it if they wanted to fly it.   Most/allmost none of the really good ones don't.  
lazs

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2003, 08:16:13 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
Most/allmost none of the really good ones don't.  
lazs

Depends upon the definition of "good" and "almost"

You may like to check the stats for the winner of the December AH competition........

not that it proves any thing other than good pilots in good planes are a very good combination.........

I should imagine that the ability to just go and get endless kills would just get boring.............. fortunately I am not bored this way.
Ludere Vincere

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2003, 08:57:20 AM »
I don't believe i have ever fought any of the winners of the "competition".... I don't know iff they are good or not.   I haven't even seen em fight.   I think that they mostly avoid the large fights.   I guess "good" would mean all around fighter jocs so no... i don't consider em "good".
lazs

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2003, 10:04:59 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
sorry but I disagree we have a 1944 version look at the canopy and the 4 blade airscrew.

Well, the bubble type canopy versions began reaching squadrons early in 1943. Performance was unchanged.

Use of the four-bladed propeller corresponded to the production of the Tempest Mk.V and was done primarily for standardization. Performance increase was minimal. I believe climb improved by about 200 fpm at sea level. If someone has performance specs for comparision, that may be helpful.

Generally, the aircraft being flown in 1944 differed very little in performance and capability from the earlier Mk.IB fighters except in details. Indeed, changes were so minimal as to preclude bumping the Mark or even the sub-series letter designation.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Laika

• Zinc Member
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2003, 04:49:58 AM »
No Perk IMO .... unless the pony and dora etc. are to be perked at the same time.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2003, 09:24:45 AM »
I vote to allow only those on their two week trial to be able to fly LA7.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Magoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2003, 11:18:02 AM »
I like the perk everything idea. Only the planes that were in service at the beginning of hostilities would be non-perk. I'm not talking the Spanish Civil war here, or the invasion of Poland - let's say when Germany rolled into France for the Euro set and after Pearl Harbor for the Pac set.

I'm constantly flying and dieing in a C-hog but manage to keep enough perks to up another anytime I want.

Anyone know if HTC has voiced an opinion on this idea? If they don't like it, I'd rather not waste my breath :)

As for perking the La-7 only, no perks...

Magoo
A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all!

Offline joeblogs

• Nickel Member
That is not true
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2003, 11:52:42 AM »
La-7's legs are twice as long as they should be.

-Blogs

Originally posted by J_A_B
No need to perk the LA7.  The fuel multiplier does enough to keep it in check.

I think the FM2 should be perked before the LA7.  The FM2 is so slow it can't actually kill stuff on its own, so the only people who fly it are no-skill leechers and kill-stealers who weasel in and take the kill once somebody else does all the work.    :D

J_A_B

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2003, 12:19:18 PM »
True enough, and the problem isn't going to be fixed anytime soon  :(

Give the LA7 its real historical range, which would amount to something like 18-22 minutes of MIL power in the MA, and they'd be even less of a problem.

J_A_B

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2003, 12:24:49 PM »
J_A_B, actually u have a zillion of LA7, Spits and n1k2 flying with 50% of fuel and thinking on whatever else returning to base. Just take off, look for a red icon, HO the icon and back to tower over and over.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2003, 08:38:05 PM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
J_A_B, actually u have a zillion of LA7, Spits and n1k2 flying with 50% of fuel and thinking on whatever else returning to base. Just take off, look for a red icon, HO the icon and back to tower over and over.

And that is your reason to perk them because they are a popular ride?  Popularity doesn't always have a negative effect on game play, as is with the case in AH.  Just because 50% of the arena flies Spits, La-7s or the N1K2, doesn't mean they are going to effect the balance of the game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2003, 09:02:51 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I don't believe i have ever fought any of the winners of the "competition".... I don't know iff they are good or not.   I haven't even seen em fight.   I think that they mostly avoid the large fights.   I guess "good" would mean all around fighter jocs so no... i don't consider em "good".
lazs

I finished 13th the 1st month of the rank thingy...I dont think i flew La7 more than 5 times during that month..And i dont avoid large fights, you will see my K/D is poor as well..

There are alot of formidable opponents that have finished 15th and dont think many of you could take them..

IMO..

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2003, 09:20:00 PM »
what in hell is an La-7?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2003, 09:24:16 AM »
they may indeed be formidable but I don't fight em.   They either don't fly during prime time or not in the fights I fight.   Guess i just have a different idea of "formidable" than some .    Being able to pick the plane that is the least aware and still escape is "skill" but it is considered more of an annoyance than "formidable" by me.
lazs