Author Topic: Need help from 109Gx experten!  (Read 3558 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Need help from 109Gx experten!
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2003, 08:33:40 AM »
Generally speaking, with the 30's, if you have a good connection, all you'll need is one ping to kill a fighter. If you hit the engine, it might just kill the engine. But if you hit a wing or tailplane, it comes off. Hit the cockpit and you'll get a nifty 'splosion. Keep trying the 30's. They have a nice psychological effect. :)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2003, 08:35:42 AM »
BTW, anybody got any info on this plane? I think I read where it's supposed to be a 109g10. Is that true? I've enjoyed this photo for a few years now...

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2003, 09:30:21 AM »
hblair that was my background image for one year!
Its great.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2003, 10:26:12 AM »
Hblair, you have a larger version of that image?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2003, 10:33:41 AM »
Anyone got some spare money? This cute one is for sale (price is not listed):

http://www.mdm-aviation.com/YakovlevYak-11.html

(no idea why the page is called Yak-11....)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2003, 12:22:14 PM »
Nice! And DB powered too. Those 109's are rare.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2003, 12:29:12 PM »
According to the webpage it's the only flying Emil.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2003, 12:49:41 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Gentlemen!  Thanks for your posts. :D

Yes, the TRIM issue. I have a MSW Prec Pro stick, and I don't have a trim slider, but I have set the two small thumb control buttons to trim up and trim down - see pic.

Batz - I viewed the film - thanks. Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm doing.  

Lots of advice - greatly appreciated - but only one .AHF film so far. Start shooting them (films as well as cons!) and post'em to me.  :)

Before I got CH HOTAS, I used to keep left hand on keyboard. Too many functions to map them all only on stick. I used keys for views, and joystick hat for trimming.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2003, 01:55:26 PM »
Beetle:

If you load only a single 20mm you must fire the 13mm with it as well, this dramatically increases your firepwer and the balistics are very similar.

If you load the 30mm then do not fire the 13mm as balistica are too disimilar.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2003, 02:19:18 PM »
Beetle, if you're flying with 1x20mm, you're best off firing both MG's and cannon rounds at the same time. On their own, neither of these weapons do much, but together they hit fairly hard. With 30's, a hit anywhere but the engine will tear it apart. The 30's are much better for a "quick kill", but their balistics are terrible, so really high angle deflection shots against a zeke or a spitV are even more difficult than with the 20's & MG's.

The 109's are not meant to be flown in a sissy-like manner in a close-to-even odds situation. And they're definitely not meant to be flown fast, fast being in excess of 400mph. They're E fighters which are also capable of TnBing the faster, less maneuverable planes, but that's just a waste of it's strengths. Yoyo's, ropes, and hammerheads are the main things you need to get good at to be a decent 109 pilot (other things too, but those are the things you'll most likely do more often).
Army of Muppets

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2003, 04:44:36 PM »
Well thanks, guys. I know a lot more now than I did before this thread started.

So the gondolas are the 30mm, and the nose cannon is a 20mm?  That would explain why I needed two passes to kill a P38. Firing only the cannon, I got multiple hits in a pass from his 4 to his 10 - black smoke from both engines, and a fuel leak. Needed a second pass to finish the job - wish I'd filmed it.

I'm getting better at it through practice, and it's quite a nice plane so I enjoy it. I like learning about different planes, and discovering their strengths. Of course, if I was a scoremonger, I'd jump in a lala7 each sortie, or spawn camp in a GV.  ;)

hblair mentioned connection, and for years I languished with a connect of 400ms+ playing WB. With AH I began with 200ms, but now that I have ADSL/broadband, I'm getting around 140ms.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2003, 04:52:59 PM »
No the gondolas are 20mm just like the 20mm engine cannon.

The 30mm is an option for engine cannon.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2003, 06:09:49 PM »
Gruen is right

if you have the 20 mm hub cannon then fire all guns together. Even the 7mm on the g2 helps the 20.

13mm can kill planes as well.

if you take 30mm then fire it seperate.

Gondolas are mg151/20mm slung under the wing. They add weight and effect turn and roll.

They give you added fire power but limit your manuverability.

109s are not spray pray planes. They idea is to learn to land hits at every opportunity.

On bombers aim for their wing tips.

Offline Griego

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2003, 07:11:15 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
It's all in the trimming Beet1e ;)

The 109 doesen't have a compression problem, the controls just get very heavy at high-speeds. At 400+ mph I almost fly by trimming alone.

Question?  why is trim so important in AH? When all trim does is take pressure of the stick.

Trim shouldn't make your plane turn better. Not when the stick is doing all the same things that trim does only faster.

The only problem is that with the stick there should be alot of pressure when air flow over parts make it so.

So pulling the stick should be easier than turning the wheel for trim.   of couse this is MHO.

So in conclusion you shouldnt be able to fly a plane  with trim because the same forces are the same on stick and trim wheels.
In fact the trim wheels should be harder to turn because your only using one hand and on the stick you should be able to use both hands and body to move it.

unless the wheels use hydraulics to move elevators or ailerons.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2003, 07:43:12 PM »
Who said trim makes you turn better?

I dont see that anywhere in this thread.

In ah above 640kmh the controls on the 109 become stiff. Eventually you will compress competely.

Trim relieves some of the stick force needed to pull out of the dive. But trim on a 109 moved the whole horizontal surface so by trimming the plane you will pull out of the dive.

In ah trim isnt important at all. Theres a feature called combat trim. This is there because of the difficulty in simulating stick forces in the game.

Also in AH trimming doesnt move a surface any further then it can go in rl. That is full deflection is full deflection. Trim doesnt let you turn better.