Author Topic: America... The last Super Power  (Read 2689 times)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
America... The last Super Power
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2003, 08:24:22 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
Greater variety, but less choice.

Yeah, us Americans have a greater variety but less choice alright. Does this make sense to anyone here?

Canada has all the choices. I have to travel from Arizona to Canada just to get a good price on a TV set....... right  

I can't even find half the things I want to buy in America....we have hardly any choices here you know. Plus gas is SO expensive here, I can't drive to shop anyway. And when I skrimp and save fpr enough to drive, I can't find any stores that stock anything I would want to buy.

It's horrible here. Make it stop!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2003, 09:57:49 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
the millions of people in indo china killed by the US and its surrogates  for wanting a goverment that represented their wishes instead of one that represented US intrests  thank you for your sacrifices in their honor.

The champeen genocidal killer in IndoChina was Pol Pot. He was put into power by the North Vietnamese.

From Time.com
The enormity of what Pol Pot and his Khmer Rouge party did in the latter half of the 1970s defies hyperbole. The only word for it: genocide. The death toll: certainly more than a million, perhaps twice that amount. Among the first evidence of the horror, this "killing field" was uncovered in 1980.

There's absolutely no way that your quoted statement above is anything but pure exaggeration. Further, if you're talking about the VietNam conflict, are you trying to say the South wanted to join the North and the US was forcibly preventing that?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2003, 10:05:07 PM »
Toad, you and I both know America is the true evil of this earth...it's so obvious!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2003, 10:06:07 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
The people that waged those wars over the last 200 years have been looked on since as aggressors and mass murderers. Kind of silly to not think of the current US regime as any different.

Kind of outrageous and far beyond silly to try to make the case that the US is anything like them.

Who do you want to associate yourself with then Toad. Nepoleons France? Bismarks Germany? Hitlers Germany? Tojos Japan?.

Please do tell me which of those countries bent on conquest we resemble in the least.

Powell said it very well recently. I'll say it again in case you missed it in the sig block.

Powell:

I mean, it was not soft power that freed Europe. It was hard power. And what followed immediately after hard power? Did the United States ask for dominion over a single nation in Europe? No. Soft power came in the Marshall Plan. Soft power came with American GIs who put their weapons down once the war was over and helped all those nations rebuild. We did the same thing in Japan.

So our record of living our values and letting our values be an inspiration to others I think is clear. And I don't think I have anything to be ashamed of or apologize for with respect to what America has done for the world.

We have gone forth from our shores repeatedly over the last hundred years and we’ve done this as recently as the last year in Afghanistan and put wonderful young men and women at risk, many of whom have lost their lives, and we have asked for nothing except enough ground to bury them in, and otherwise we have returned home to seek our own, you know, to seek our own lives in peace, to live our own lives in peace. "

You can sling that old VietNam "crime" BS around all you like. But it's still just BS. We didn't go there to conquer anyone as you suggest with your Napoleon/Hitler/Tojo association; we went there to give them a chance to live without the boot of Communism forcibly planted on their necks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2003, 10:09:28 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2003, 10:08:09 PM »
The US is the world's worst evil..we all know that!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2003, 12:35:50 AM »
Originally posted by NUKE
The US is the world's worst evil..we all know that!

no no no.... the US is the world's BEST evil.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2003, 09:56:47 AM »
Pongo,

Yeah right, the U.S. is just like Tojo's Japan, Hitler's Germany, yada yada yada...  Americans are a bunch of mass murdering genocidal maniacs who kill for the enjoyment of it and relish on the misery of others.

Your one sided diatribe holds about as much water as a sieve.

If nothing else, it was amusing...  On second thought, it wasn't even amusing.

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2003, 04:18:09 PM »
I forgot to tell you to dig some more  :-)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2003, 05:10:00 PM »
NUKE, I'm sorry for being so cryptic in my post.

When I said there is greater variety, but less choice, I'm referring to Walmart.

Sure you are can buy alot of different things at Walmart, but when they drive the smaller local stores out of business, you have less choice of who to buy from.

This has little do with Canada or the US and everything to do with globalisation.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2003, 05:13:56 PM »
NUKE, I'm sorry for being so cryptic in my post.

When I said there is greater variety, but less choice, I'm referring to Walmart.

Sure you are can buy alot of different things at Walmart, but when they drive the smaller local stores out of business, you have less choice of who to buy from.

This has little do with Canada or the US and everything to do with globalisation.

We have a walmart, and numerous other stores to buy from.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2003, 05:25:17 PM »
Originally posted by Martlet
We have a walmart, and numerous other stores to buy from.

But less then before Walmart right?  Alot less.  So still less choice of who you buy from.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2003, 06:09:13 PM »
But less then before Walmart right?  Alot less.  So still less choice of who you buy from.

I very rarely use walmart.  None of the stores I use have shut down.  In fact, a new store I like just opened.

I'm sure Walmart has an effect on business.  All businesses effect each other.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2003, 06:09:52 PM »
I hate to see the Mom and Pop shops fold. It's the end of an era.

But when shoppers make the choice to "choose Walmart" what are they saying? They're saying they prefer Walmart, aren't they? They seem to be happy with their choice of who to buy from.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2003, 06:23:01 PM »
Lots of people work at walmart..
They seem to have better benifits and security then you often get at small stores. Doenst seem that bad a trade to me. I buy specilized things at small stores and generic things at big generic stores.
Adam Smith loves this stuff.

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2003, 08:12:17 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
I hate to see the Mom and Pop shops fold. It's the end of an era.

But when shoppers make the choice to "choose Walmart" what are they saying? They're saying they prefer Walmart, aren't they? They seem to be happy with their choice of who to buy from.

I dont think they prefer wallyworld, they're just lazy. The one stop shop and all that. I know I've done it.