Author Topic: So, whats the deal with ENY values?  (Read 608 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
So, whats the deal with ENY values?
« on: June 23, 2003, 04:47:32 PM »
I was of the understanding it had something to do with the usage of a plane, but I don't think that is possible.  Is it based on percieved performance and usage?  Just for example, here are some things I find odd.  

La-7 39,606 kills Eny 15
P-51D 37,516 kills Eny 10
Spit IX 41,764 kills Eny 10

109G10 12,159 kills Eny 21
190D9 14,467 kills Eny 18
110G2 7,743 kills Eny 20

So, the 109 gets about 1/3rd as many kills as the La-7, and is about half as good a plane... and the ENY is 6 points higher.  The 190D9 also gets about 1/3rd as many kills, isn't even in the same league as an La-7, and is 3 points higher.  The 110G2 actually gets LESS kills than the 109 does... and has a lower ENY.  Furthermore... why is the P-51s ENY lower than the La-7s?  It isn't anywhere near as good a plane, and the usage is about the same.  Shouldn't they both have the same ENY?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 06:13:33 PM by Urchin »

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 06:00:50 PM »
It's based randomly on whatever someone at HTC felt it should be set at.

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 06:39:45 PM »
Its all part of the "Great Conspiracy".

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 06:59:12 PM »
Yea, thats what I figured too Sling, but you aren't allowed to say that kind of thing around here you know... you'll get banned.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 07:03:49 PM »
I think the ENY values need to be played with some.  Like there should be a direct correlation between usage and the ENY value, not some half-assed system where the planes that don't get any use but HTC thinks are 'too good' still get shafted as far as ENY values.  I don't think it would be bad at all to keep the La-7 at say 5 ENY, then take it from here.  Top unperked plane and all the perk planes get an ENY of 5.  The rest of the planes get their ENY value assigned based on how much use they see relative to the top plane.  I think it would be a great deal of fun to land a 5 kill sortie in a 202 and get 500 perks.  It might even be enough fun that people might use something other than the spit/n1k/la7/p51 that was omnipresent.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 08:21:05 PM »
You mean a top gun like yourself actually cares how many perks you earn?  I would have thought someone with your skills wouldn't care about ENY values as you can get a ton of kills and earn as many perks as you want in whatever plane you choose to fly.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 08:25:11 PM »
Yea, but is fun looking at how many perks you get at the end of every sortie.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2003, 08:27:16 PM »
Well, you want a great way to earn a ton of perks in low ENY value planes?  Try flying for the country that is outnumbered by a large margin by the other two countries.  I think the Germans did that in WW2, just look at the scores for Hartmann.  Talk about perk ratio!

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2003, 08:30:21 PM »
If you'd bother to look through the 'score' page, you'll see which countries I fly for.  I know, you guys are allergic to the score page, for good reason I might add.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2003, 08:34:52 PM »
And that means exactly what?  I know I am being dense here, but maybe you could enlighten me as to what about my score sucks?  I haven't looked, but I know you did, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it here.  Please, Omnipotent Urchin, tell me how I can be as good as you.  Tell me what I can do so that I will want to look at my scores.

Offline AtmkRstr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2003, 09:18:08 PM »
Math, I think Urchin is commenting on how the conspiracy has porked the score system, not how you're bad at ranking.

I agree, the ENY values are completely bogus.  It would be trivial to change, and it might make an immediate improvement to gameplay.  Unfortunatly, I don't think HTC gives a flying fork because otherwise they would have already spent the 20 minutes needed to make the change.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2003, 09:34:09 PM »
Oh, I've got no idea what your score is.  I meant if you looked at mine, you'd see what countries I fly for.  Since that is exactly what I said the first time, I'd have to agree that you are, in fact, being dense.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2003, 10:20:28 PM »
Urchin,

The problem with making the ENY directly proportional is that you end up with a few problems:

1) Unpopular, but very potent, fighters like the Fw190D-9, Bf109G-10 and Yak-9U become free perk gatherers because their ENY values are so far removed from their performance.

2) Potent but practically never used aircraft get way, WAY too many perk points for relatively easy tasks.  For example, shooting down a Spitfire Mk IX (42,000 kills) in a Mosquito (2,500 kills) would yield 16.8 perk points in a directly proportianal system.

Keep in mind also that the ENY values have not been updated in a long time and when they were last set the Spitfire Mk IX and P-51D were trading off fro 1st and 2nd places with the N1K2 following in third and the La-7 way back in 4th.  Now the La-7 has surpassed the P-51D and is moving up on the Spitfire Mk IX.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2003, 10:24:15 PM »
Another thing, it seems to me that HTC sets the ENY based on three things:

1) The aircraft's usage in the MA.

2) HTC's estimate of the potency of the aircraft regardless of how popular it is.

3) Wild assed guesses set before the aircraft is added (P-40E, F4U-1) and absentmindedness (Fw190F-8).
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2003, 10:58:17 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Oh, I've got no idea what your score is.  I meant if you looked at mine, you'd see what countries I fly for.  Since that is exactly what I said the first time, I'd have to agree that you are, in fact, being dense.

You are so right, how could anyone misunderstand what you are saying about scores and crap in the following post:

If you'd bother to look through the 'score' page, you'll see which countries I fly for. I know, you guys are allergic to the score page, for good reason I might add.

I see what you are getting at with the countries you fly for.  Fine, nice to see that my earlier advice was not needed.

Its the bold part that has me confused.  Again, could you please explain what you meant by that statement.  Also, could you clarify what you mean by "you guys."

Thanks.