Author Topic: So how bout this for a way to make the maps fun for now...  (Read 2762 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
So how bout this for a way to make the maps fun for now...
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2003, 11:38:59 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
It simply won't wash Beetle.

The current evolution of strat in this game was primarily player driven through this BBS.

The bomb sight threads and the supply/resupply threads are two good examples.

We initially had the simplistic Brand W field capture. It worked, it was all most of us needed and the fun was non-stop.

It's the evolution from there that has brought us to his contentious point.

And no matter how you dodge and dance, it was the whining for "more strat" that led to the present unbalance. Now you try to say it's the furballers that want to change strat? Yeah, change it BACK to what it was before the strat guys started whining to "change strat".

It's all here on this very BBS.

Can you prove to me that HTC implemented the current strat model in response to player initiatives? How do you know that HTC didn't intend to implement the current strat model with or without the BBS whines? The suggestion that you make is that HTC acted directly upon requests posted on this BBS to meet the desires of one particular group of players but to the detriment of many others. Now granted, that did happen over at Brand-W (after pyro and hitech had left, and we were on the v2.6 slippery slope), but I don't think it's HTC's style.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2003, 12:10:50 PM »
I think there is more to it than this BBS.

I can't cite many examples, but look at HT's adoration of Submarines. He's been talking about putting them in since day one because his father was a submariner...at least I remember hearing this.

Subs have nothing to do with dogfighting, and everything to do with strategy.

Also, I don't recall anyone ever asking for a sub before HT mentioned it for the 1st time.

Just something to ponder, I suppose.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2003, 02:34:05 PM »
Beet1e, call Grapevine and ask him. He'll chat with you if he's not real busy or taking a break. You wouldn't believe me anyway, so go to the source.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2003, 04:14:22 PM »
Kweassa, it was an impassioned moment.  It was good to debate it, and see each others views.  I should have left the name calling off the table.  I have always enjoyed flying with you.  I'm sorry I got carried away.
The truth is, I really wasn't that upset over the cv being moved.  I did feel, and still do, that it was impolite of slimpikn to wrest control of the cv from me without even discussing what he felt was best for the cv. Forget the strat-furball debate(let's face the two go hand-in-hand, anyway), the cv wasn't abandoned in the middle of an enemy horde, so I feel I was dealt with discourteously.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2003, 04:24:06 PM »
Beet1e,

Your quote:

"Well, that's no different from the logic in your argument, in which you assert that people do not vulch off the CV. An argument based on one person - you"

Beet1e, that's not fair.   I did not assert that people do not vulch off the cv. In fact, I went so far as to say:
" I'm not saying that such people do not exist,....."

What I am saying is this:  The best furballs on Big Isles almost always involve a cv.  Do you disagree?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2003, 05:00:46 PM »
I would go so far as to say the ONLY furballs in Big Isles are off CV's..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2003, 07:13:24 PM »
Steve - No, I don't disagree. I enjoy carrier ops. Always did - even back in WB. But my reasons for enjoying them are probably not yours. In WB, you could do stealth jabo runs in an F6F or F4U. Hit the radar, then take your time with the rest. No bardar. No flashing map. No "base under attack". Some might call that a milk run, but hardly. You had to pop up to make the bomb run - and appear on dar, albeit briefly. Even if it was a milkrun, the fact of capturing a base in the middle of enemy territory could really set the sparks flying!

In AH it's different. The game is set up in such a way to make a furball more likely, owing to the multitude of warnings of an impending attack that are issued. It's OK, and of course there will be a massive furball, but that's not what floats my boat because the outcome will be determined by the one thing that determines everything else in the current version of this game. Clue: 4th book of the Old Testament

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2003, 09:21:00 AM »
The only real strat in AH is.... The country with the numbers steamrollers the country with the least numbers and the other country either helps or is irrelevant.

sooo... enjoy the fight.  That's all there really is.  everything else you can do offline somewhere.
lazs