Author Topic: Alabamas Judge Roy Moore  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2003, 02:33:04 PM »
crowMAW, you state the danger well.

The "fairy tale" comment was funny, but as I stated before, I am a Christian.

You stated better than I could exactly what I have tried to make understood.  Those who have not looked outside their own backyard sometimes don't realize the danger in their thinking.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline LoneStarBuckeye

• Copper Member
      • http://None
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2003, 02:39:03 PM »
Originally posted by crowMAW
Christian Taliban.
That's a bit over-the-top, don't you think?  Even if one accepts your reasoning, that's akin to calling Jessie Jackson Adolph Hitler.

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2003, 02:53:10 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
strange -  that  the laws that he is sworn to uphold are based on the 10 laws he displays - and ppl have a problem with that?

I keep hearing that, but I don't understand...if US law and the Constitution and Bill of Rights are based on the Ten Commandments, then how come it's a legally protected right to break so many of them?

1) Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Humm, First amendment protects us on this one. We can worship whom ever or what ever we want. Or, we don't have to worship anything if we don't want too.

2) Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image

Nope, we have a legally protected right to do this too, and to copyright it too if I want.

3) Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain

Sorry, we have a legal right to freedom of speech.

4) Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Nope, we don't have to keep the Sabbath holy...I can do what ever I please on Sunday...or Saturday.

5) Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee

Nope, you can sue mommy and daddy for everything they are worth if you think they were crappy parents.  And you can bad mouth them all you want and write nasty books about them too.

6) Thou shalt not kill.

Ok,  I'll give 'em this one if you define "kill" as murder.  Obviously, if it means homicide of any kind, well the government looks past that Commandment many times.

7) Thou shalt not commit adultery

Ok...in some states it is illegal (maybe even in Alabama), but it's not illegal in all of them and I don't know of a Federal law that makes it illegal either.  And then we must ask if the law is enforced if it is on the books.  It sure ain't in Florida or my low-down cheating ex-wife would be in prison right now.

8) Thou shalt not steal.

Yup...so we are up to 2 out of 10.

9) Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Well, this one is another fuzzy one.  If you commit perjury, then yes it is a crime.  If you tell a lie about someone and it causes no economic damage to them, then the civil courts will do nothing.  So, if I say that Rude is the worst AH pilot who ever logged in...I would be lying, but there ain't a damn thing Rude can do about it but send my bellybutton down in flames the next time we merge.

10) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's

Nope, you have a legal right to covet what ever you want.  And man my neighbors wife has the nicest ass...I want to ride that bellybutton so bad...and I really want his Ferrari too, bastard has a 360 Spyder.  Come arrest me.

So out of 10 Commandments we have two for-sure laws...murder and theft.  Do you think maybe those laws have existed elsewhere in society before the 10 Commandments were zapped in stone?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2003, 02:56:52 PM »
Originally posted by Nath[BDP]
Todd is a superstar.

Maybe.... but every time I hear the name Todd I think of "YES MRS. LOOPNER"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2003, 03:01:32 PM »
I keep hearing that, but I don't understand...if US law and the Constitution and Bill of Rights are based on the Ten Commandments, then how come it's a legally protected right to break so many of them?

Humm, First amendment protects us on this one. We can worship whom ever or what ever we want. Or, we don't have to worship anything if we don't want too.

Nope, we have a legally protected right to do this too, and to copyright it too if I want.

Nope, we don't have to keep the Sabbath holy...I can do what ever I please on Sunday...or Saturday.

5) Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee

Nope, you can sue mommy and daddy for everything they are worth if you think they were crappy parents.  And you can bad mouth them all you want and write nasty books about them too.

6) Thou shalt not kill.

Ok,  I'll give 'em this one if you define "kill" as murder.  Obviously, if it means homicide of any kind, well the government looks past that Commandment many times.

Ok...in some states it is illegal (maybe even in Alabama), but it's not illegal in all of them and I don't know of a Federal law that makes it illegal either.  And then we must ask if the law is enforced if it is on the books.  It sure ain't in Florida or my low-down cheating ex-wife would be in prison right now.

8) Thou shalt not steal.

Well, this one is another fuzzy one.  If you commit perjury, then yes it is a crime.  If you tell a lie about someone and it causes no economic damage to them, then the civil courts will do nothing.  So, if I say that Rude is the worst AH pilot who ever logged in...I would be lying, but there ain't a damn thing Rude can do about it but send my bellybutton down in flames the next time we merge.

10) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's

Nope, you have a legal right to covet what ever you want.  And man my neighbors wife has the nicest ass...I want to ride that bellybutton so bad...and I really want his Ferrari too, bastard has a 360 Spyder.  Come arrest me.

So out of 10 Commandments we have two for-sure laws...murder and theft.  Do you think maybe those laws have existed elsewhere in society before the 10 Commandments were zapped in stone?

thanks for the snapshot of what is wrong with today's enlightenment or the lack thereof
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2003, 03:16:30 PM »
Originally posted by fd ski
In a building financed and used by public.

Sorry hblair
:D

I made that clear in my first reply.

Sorry FD-Ski :D

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2003, 03:26:09 PM »

6) Thou shalt not kill.

8) Thou shalt not steal.

The Ten Commandments are God's Law, not man's....I'm sure God fears our constitution.

This is simple guys....it's about secular society versus christian society.....the folks that have a problem with this don't believe in God or at least the God of the Bible for the most part. The Christians believe that this nation is falling away from God's teaching and is dying spiritually and morally.

For me(a Christian), I could care less about this statue or what they do with it. It's simple to me....

Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and to God, what is God's.

Even Christians are subject to the laws of this nation...we are subject to those in authority over us. Now, when the day comes that the government tells me that I must bow down and worship it, then that will be the day I stand against it.

This whole episode is pathetic.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2003, 03:35:46 PM »
Originally posted by banana

Christians are hypocrites. They are only supporting this monument because it supports their particular religion, whereas the people supporting the separation between church and state would've opposed any religious monument from any religion.

Do you mean ALL christians support roy moores monument and therefore are hypocrites or just the 20-30 or so at the state capitol? I personally don't know anybody who even backs him and I'm in the middle of the bible belt in the state in question.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2003, 03:51:08 PM »
Agreed Rude.  You made your stance on the "nay" side and you know it.  Religion is a choice, not to be imposed by man.  I would be ashamed if anyone in my province was forced to come before a judge under the pretence (sp) of any religion.

I think part of being a "real" Christian is respecting other's beliefs.  A 5000 pound rendition of the ten commandments as someone is entering a institution of your government is not respecting the diverse and segmented portion of your culture that is part of your fine country.

Again, accepting God and his Son is a personal choice, and can't be mandated by a court.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2003, 04:01:56 PM »
Some of you keep referring to the Ten Commandments as being Chrisitan. You do realize that it was Moses that brought them down from the mountain, right? While I'm not Jewish I do believe that Jews consider them theirs and even muslims honor these same "laws".
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2003, 04:03:30 PM »
Originally posted by LoneStarBuckeye
That's a bit over-the-top, don't you think?

No sir, I don't.  I believe that Christian Taliban is a very accurate description of how fundie xians are operating in this country and it is my perception as to how they would run the US should they have control of the legislative, executive and judicial branches of our government.

We have already seen that extremists exist within their ranks who are willing to use violence and murder in furtherance their objective of forcing their beliefs and morals on the rest of us.  I've even had one fundie on an xian forum tell me that she believes that non-xians should never be allowed to be in a position of governance over xians.

Beyond all the sophistry and justifications, the underlying reason for xians to refuse to allow the religious neutrality of our government is for the purpose of evangelizing and ultimately to impose their moralistic values.  I find that no less disgusting and morally reprehensible as the actions of the Taliban.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 04:12:06 PM by crowMAW »

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2003, 04:06:25 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Some of you keep referring to the Ten Commandments as being Chrisitan. You do realize that it was Moses that brought them down from the mountain, right? While I'm not Jewish I do believe that Jews consider them theirs and even muslims honor these same "laws".

Are you trying to say that Moses and The Angel Gabriel werent American?   :mad:

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2003, 04:06:43 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron

Don't matter. The judiciary should be religion neutral.

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2003, 04:09:18 PM »
Originally posted by banana
Had Judge Moore's name been Muhammed, and the carved monument in question been the laws of the Koran, can you imagine how many christians would have "Too much time on their hands" at this moment? ;)

Christians are hypocrites. They are only supporting this monument because it supports their particular religion, whereas the people supporting the separation between church and state would've opposed any religious monument from any religion.

You are correct sir. These guys actually are hypocrits and could be construed as bigots as well.

Within a few months after the monolith was in place, some of the black pot stirrers in Alabama had a similar monolith constructed with MLK's "I have a dream" speach written on it. As I think has been already covered briefly, they were met at the door by state police saying they couldn't "redecorate" the building under any circumstances. How many of you think Moore wasn't behind this?

If you think about it, regardless of who was aggitating this, the MLK monolith is much more appropriate to install in a court building than the 10 kommandmants. Regardless of what the civil rights movement has become, a monument to MLK says allot more about the rule of law and justice in America than a list of 10 laws used by a bunch of goat herders in dealing amongst themselves but that got conveniently set aside when dealing with anyone not of there tribe. (we wacked this village and took all the chicks as slaves, we whacked that village and killed them all down the the last man, woman and child...etc. etc.)

This is how Moore got elected as Chief Justice. The original controversy over the 10 kommandments plaque in his court room made him a household name in Alabama.

What miffs me is that anyone with any intelligence would not only let him get away with it, but support him whole heartedly, to the point of getting arrested over it.

The abscence of the monolith in the court house would in no way infringe on anyones beliefs or practices, but its presence not only offends many people, but is garunteed to produce sharp conflict. Its another huge black eye on the face of Alabama, painting them as the backwards ass, religious zealot, cross burning retards of the nation. Sometimes I'm not sure that its not a deserved reputation.

Just when we get things moving in the right direction. We've recently gotten 3 major automobile plants in Alabama with most of there supporting industry building here as well. Mercedece-Benz being one of them. Unemeployment is very low, incomes are rising. Education in most parts of the state aren't the tragedy most make it out to be.

What happens? We get a Republican Governor who insists on raising almost every form of taxation in the state while in bed with the state teachers union.  Who lies his bellybutton off about what the taxes actually go for and make blanket statements about accountability and about college scholorships that are so far from the truth its unreal.

What next? A friggin knut case Cheif Justice who thinks he's the next appostle.

Politics Sux!

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2003, 04:10:58 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
if this counrty was founded on those beliefs, Islam, I do not think we'd have a problem with it as the majority would not be christian nor would our laws be based on the 10 commandments

Who the hell says our laws are based on the 10 commandments? Show me the money.