Author Topic: Just saw Bowling for Columbine...  (Read 1373 times)

Offline trolla

• Copper Member
Just saw Bowling for Columbine...
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2003, 04:19:06 AM »
Think i have to see it too :D

what was the name of it ?

If its been out for awhile i guess its on video now ?

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2003, 06:03:52 AM »
It's available in eDonkey.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2003, 07:58:07 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
The cartoon sequence was funny in how it depicted America's policy of enslaving blacks in centuries gone by, and how that came back to bite America in the bum.stuff.

I'm sure you are referring to the British policy of using slaves in their North American colonies.

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2003, 06:47:12 PM »
It's pretty good.  Raises some tought-provoking questions, but since I'm not from "the island" it's none of my business.  The three years I spent there was not without handgun related incidents, though :(
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2003, 04:04:27 AM »
Originally posted by ra
I'm sure you are referring to the British policy of using slaves in their North American colonies.
Wasn't one of the themes in the Civil war the issue of slavery? Slavery was still going strong in the 1860s, long after America's independence from Britain.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2003, 04:12:55 AM »
As an aside lets put the slave trade in terms the current USA haters might understand - of course they wont...

For example one could say something like:

We should be far more concerned with England's arrogant misuse of her imperialistic power to meddle in the internal affairs of independant african powers by banning the slave trade and enforcing such a ban with her military might - shame on england that evil imperialist warmongering pig of a country!!!!!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2003, 05:11:31 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
As an aside lets put the slave trade in terms the current USA haters might understand - of course they wont...

For example one could say something like:

We should be far more concerned with England's arrogant misuse of her imperialistic power to meddle in the internal affairs of independant african powers by banning the slave trade and enforcing such a ban with her military might - shame on england that evil imperialist warmongering pig of a country!!!!!
LOL - I think. You'll enjoy meeting Tomato next month, and talking about this stuff - if you want to.

Just as an aside, the laws mandating the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire were drafted in my home county, only 2 miles from where I grew up. The temple is a hotel these days - had my 21st birthday party there in... well, quite a while ago. ;)

http://www.templarsites.org.uk/engl-mid/leics/019-index-rothley.html

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2003, 05:13:35 AM »
Wasn't one of the themes in the Civil war the issue of slavery? Slavery was still going strong in the 1860s, long after America's independence from Britain.

Yes, Britain has clean hands when discussing North American slavery.  After all, they outlawed slavery in the empire in the 1820's, nearly forty years before the US Civil War.

The fact that european controlled enslavement of natives and Africans in North America began before 1500 is irrelevant. That they outlawed it first washes all.
:rolleyes:
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2003, 05:40:21 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Yes, Britain has clean hands when discussing North American slavery.  After all, they outlawed slavery in the empire in the 1820's, nearly forty years before the US Civil War.
Indeed, which takes us back to what ra said, in his attempt to stir the cauldron -
Slavery continued in America long after its abolition throughout the British Empire, and long after America became independent from Britain.

So the B for C cartoon sequence was as I said - a depiction of America's policy of enslaving blacks.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2003, 05:53:54 AM »
So apparently you believe that 35 or 40 years is a long time in historical terms.  

So if that is the case, then 140 years must be ancient history, and that is when America shed the blood of 500,000 soldiers to end its history of slavery.

If it is truly, as you apparently believe, ancient history, why do you argue so?

America shed its shackles 140 years ago, and the British Empire shed hers 40 years sooner.  That makes them relatively concurrent in my perspective, and one shouldn't strut around claiming moral superiorty because their country stopped being evil a bit sooner.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2003, 06:34:14 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
So apparently you believe that 35 or 40 years is a long time in historical terms.  
No. I come from a country in which we have 900 year old cathedrals. It is Americans who think history began in the last 240 years. :lol  I always remember a classic line in a Steve Martin movie. He's showing people around LA,  and points out that some of the buildings are twenty years old! :eek:

We had slavery, and that was bad, and it was abolished. It was no longer British policy - at a time when it continued in America. The BfC cartoon refers to boatloads of African slaves being brought over to America. Britain had nothing to do with it by then. The ships did not route through a British port, and we didn't claim any tax! My point has nothing to do with claiming moral superiority.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2003, 07:06:48 AM »
We had slavery, and that was bad, and it was abolished.

Of course it was abolished.  With the British class system all of those slots were already filled, in perpetuity.  There's another example of a system that bites you on the bum.

ra

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2003, 07:08:20 AM »
We had slavery, and that was bad, and it was abolished.

We just had it forty years later than you did.  In some states.

Pennsylvania, the first state to abolish slavery, did it in 1780, 40 years before Britian, hence my "concurrent" statement.  Vermont abolished slavery before that but was not yet a state.

It may be interesting to you that I have seen structures in the USA dating back 1500+ years.  The thought that history begins at one's birth is not exclusive to America.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2003, 07:22:53 AM »
Originally posted by ra
Of course it was abolished.  With the British class system all of those slots were already filled, in perpetuity.  There's another example of a system that bites you on the bum.

ra
But there's no cartoon about the British class system!

The BfC cartoon was a hoot. :lol

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2003, 07:41:10 AM »
But there's no cartoon about the British class system!

The BfC cartoon was a hoot. :lol

Is the cartoon a documentary too?