Author Topic: Jet Sim  (Read 2226 times)

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
Catchy slogan...
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2003, 05:01:56 PM »
You build it, you fly it...

I guess they're saying: "No place for whiners here, if you miss a certain plane, build it yourself!"

Hmmm... reminds me of communism, which is a good IDEA but...

Offline fullback

• Copper Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2003, 05:26:13 PM »
Not too many dogfights but plenty of action and flying skill necessary if you think of 1 word: Choppers.

Offline F4i

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ghost-squadron.org/main/frame.html
Jet Sim
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2003, 05:38:11 PM »
Originally posted by fullback
Not too many dogfights but plenty of action and flying skill necessary if you think of 1 word: Choppers.

Well, Vietnam IS known as the "helicopter war."  :D

Thanks for the info on targetware.net.  I'll look at it later.  But, I doubt the community is like this one.

Anyone else want an online jet sim that is as good as AH is for us in the WW2 community?!?

TBolt

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2003, 09:39:30 PM »

The problem with Tomcats ect.. is that fire & forget just isn't alot of fun, dogfighting is nearly impossible when you never see your nme for more than 1/4 sec.  

just drop all your countermeasures (chaff and flare) and that would force 'em to dogfight (Soviet MiGs and Sukhois should excel in this mode) BTW, if an enemy launch AIM-120, R-77 in BVR mode, pull the ejection seat.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 09:41:31 PM by Ike 2K# »

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Jet Sim
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2003, 11:10:16 PM »
Anything other than guns only dogfighting will lead to waaaaaaay too much whining IMO.  Even if it's not BVR, missiles would negate much of the fun and skill involved in online dogfighting...  Point your nose at the bad guy, ripple off 'winder, rinse and repeat until the washing is dry then run home at Mach 2.

OTOH If you want to try out a good boxed Vietnam war era sim, try "Strike Fighters: Project 1".  Not oo bad on the FM if you download the update patches and the graphics are very good.

As for Targetware, they are open beta at the moment on their WW2 and Korean war sims.  When I tried it out a couple of months ago it was very buggy and had lots of FM issues.  Eye candy was good though.

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2003, 03:48:58 AM »
Hmmm.... Htc has still a lot of work to do with WWII era planes and vehicles ....let them work;)
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2003, 09:46:22 AM »
Just a thought but consider this... right now with 400mph aircraft a missed UDP packet causes a really crazy warp.

As an exercise I invite everyone to consider what kind of a warp would occur with a plane moving 3 times faster. It could quickly become unworkable to fight in an airspace that has more than say 4 planes.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2003, 10:39:45 AM »
A jet derivative of Aces High is possible and I think would create some excitement to the game.

I'm hoping we'll get the F-86, MiG-15, F9F Panther/Cougar, B-29 SuperFortress, Gloster Meteor, Lockheed F-94 Starfire, F-84 Thunderjet, Hawker Seafury, and LA-9 eventually to AH as a Korea War planeset.  Since none of these carried missiles (they were armed with the M2 .50 cal or Hispano cannons), the weapons ballistics are already covered.

I think the first four to be done should be the F-86, MiG-15, B-29, and F9F, as they seemed to be the principle aircraft used in the conflict.  Existing planes, such as the F4U-4, P-51D, IL-2, and both Yaks, would round out the potential planeset.

Of course we'd also have to update available armour to introduce the Pershing and Soviet T-34 tanks.

Offline Gunslngr

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.skbg.org
Jet Sim
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2003, 10:40:24 AM »
If I understand Hitech's aim with this company, it was to be a
small focused WWII technology (mostly Air) Combat simulation.

Those of us who enjoy  this sort of thing, like it here and have found a home here. I would like to see Hitech and crew stay on focus doing what it  is they do that brought us all here in the first place.

There are still dozens of things left to explore within this small
time/technology focus that I would like to see that I never will if
AH branches out of its niche and scatters its focus.

I watched Air Warrior : Vietnam help kill off Air Warrior. I hope the
same thing does not happen here.

SKGunslinger

Sky Knights Fighter Bomber Group
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 10:43:18 AM by Gunslngr »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2003, 10:44:31 AM »
yeah, Air Warrior was going to become "Jet Warrior: Vietnam" but it never got beyond a few screenshots, as far as I know.  However, they did have the F-86 and MiG-15 and I spent some time in there.  I think they would've had more folks in the Korea War arena if they'd had more than 2 jets in it.  In a dogfight, the MiG 15 pretty much ruled.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2003, 12:01:06 PM »
actually the long range missile type fighting isnt as boring as it sounds...(get a c64 emulator a freind and ACE 2 to see what i mean...its great fun)

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Untill the day comes...
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2003, 03:08:24 AM »
There will be:

http://www.lo-mac.com

Demo just released! Looks likes it gonna rock!

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
Jet Sim
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2003, 12:00:55 PM »
LOMAC is not an online sim though..

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2003, 11:19:18 AM »
If you keep missile combat prior to 1975, it should be pretty interesting.  Missiles were just not very good till the mid 70's, and the hit rates  during Vietnam (65-73) were around %10 for both IR and radar guided of all types in combat.

Plus if you have realistic launch restrictions, such as G limits (many had a 2 G launch limit) and time from button press to actual launch (several full seconds depending on aircraft/missile), and or missile warm up/spin up times, it could be very interesting I think.

However, HTC has stated many times that they do not plan to branch out to other air combat era's.

Offline F4i

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ghost-squadron.org/main/frame.html
Jet Sim
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2003, 12:07:50 PM »
Originally posted by Vermillion
However, HTC has stated many times that they do not plan to branch out to other air combat era's.

Well, IMHO, HTC has created and managed AH/AH2 now with 8 or so people.  :aok   Sooooooooo, hitech just needs to hire 8 more people, rent out the office space next door & get crackin' on a kick-arse jet sim (perhaps, after AH2 makes them a little money).  :D

If I had the computer skills, I'd do it.

T (paper pusher) Bolt