Author Topic: My 1st map whine, I guess  (Read 2072 times)

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
My 1st map whine, I guess
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2003, 04:06:54 PM »
Originally posted by Hornet
yes but doesn't a maw have to work pretty hard to end up out numbered? Like do u guys post special missions for that to develop your 1 vs many skills? :)

Not really.

I flew today for the first time in a while and there was only 2 squaddies up. We usually spread out on non-squad nights.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: My 1st map whine, I guess
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 10:32:51 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
#1 Does anyone besides me find the gameplay boring and wirhout a point on this map?
  #2   If this was meant  to be the ultimate furballer map that has been so sought after and requested for early war planes and to suit the " get down in the dirt furballer" map , then why the hell is Fester flyin a 262?  
Yes, Jackal. I agree with #1. My own analogy is a Chess game without Kings on the board. What would be the point? It also goes further away from REAL in attempt to get closer to FUN, but as I've said before (several times) there's a limit to how far we can move away from REAL and still be moving closer to FUN. For guys like you, me, MiniD etc. that point has been passed. But we have to remember that flat rate games have to operate on a "bums on seats" basis. The game needs to cater to the masses, and regrettably there is a large swathe of the masses who want nothing more than to pummel a fire button and make stuff go BOOM.

As for #2, I posted before about the furballers pining for arena parameters which would supposedly make the game better for the early war planes. But when you go and look at the stats for those guys, don't be surprised if they get MOST of their kills in planes like the LA7 and P51.

Much to his credit, Cit/Fester is now asking what he can do to encourage buff runs on HQ. Apparently he took on board the comments that I and others made about HQ being too deep behind enemy lines for an HQ buff run to succeed, and is now giving consideration to locating HQ in a position which might encourage more buff runs. That is good. Fester.

But I had to laugh the first time I flew this map, to the echo of the furballers proclaiming this map as an early war plane paradise. But oh! I wasn't alone in observing wall to wall LA7s. Well there's a big freaking surprise. :rolleyes:

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 01:21:31 PM »
well yes beetle it is just like chess without kings.... if the chess pieces all moved in 3 dimensions and were armed with machine guns and/or cannon and they all could move anytime they wanted and could start from any spot on the board they wanted that was their teams and if there were 3 teams instead of two and each piece had a different flight model and each piece had a different damage model and the pieces could be damaged and still escape and... you were still in the game even if an oppossing piece was on the same square and each piece was controlled by a different player and there were upwards to 500 different pieces and...well .... a bunch of other stuff...

other than that it is just like chess with or without kings.   Most of us have to stop and let go of our ch jstick and throttle to scratch our heads and say.... "Hmmm let me see.. am I playing AH or chess right now?".... the sounds of explosions are usuallyu the first clue for a lot of us.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2003, 01:28:42 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
#1 Does anyone besides me find the gameplay boring and wirhout a point on this map?

Perhaps if you find this question familiar and are actually bored on FesterMA, might i suggest that you try a different game?? One that does not involve fighter tactics, squad tactics, or individual tactics in a WW2 fighter..  Civilizations comes to mind. Risk is another good game for land domination. LMAO  To be in a flight sim game based on WW2 dogfighting, and not like to fly and fight?? Find it boring?? lmao Wow dudes, just when I thought I had read it all. And to think peps are comparing these whines to legitimate whines made about pizza.

k
AoM
- TWBYDHAS

Offline Boozer

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2003, 02:44:11 PM »
Strat guys can get pretty much their same gameplay (as any other map) along the coastlines of Fester's map...not bad at all.

The middle of the map is one big Mindanao A44.

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2003, 02:57:20 PM »
My heart was also filled with joy and anticipation when I saw the promise of a early war plane MA map.

After I got the taste for the "not-so-super" planes, I've said to myself that I'll have to live with all the über planes whirling around. Not whine about it, just deal with it.

Forgive me, for I am about to sin.

I flew to a fight that looked promising. When I got there and the dots turned from black to red, the letters "l", "a" and the number "7" appeared in ludicrous abundance.

I wept.

I admit it, I'm just terribly bored with the lala. They say: "If you cant beat 'em, join 'em". I can't bring myself to up a lala anymore. It just feels so... common, boring. I fear the sense of loneliness I would feel as a lala driver in a sea of lala's. See me! notice me!
No
It's better to be beaten by a lala in a crappy plane than to up one.

Yes, this is a whine.
A hopeless whine.

"When I was young I thought the world revolved around me, I was wrong!" -Bono

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2003, 03:54:24 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
well yes beetle it is just like chess without kings.... if the chess pieces all moved in 3 dimensions and were armed with machine guns and/or cannon and they all could move anytime they wanted and could start from any spot on the board they wanted that was their teams and if there were 3 teams instead of two and each piece had a different flight model and each piece had a different damage model and the pieces could be damaged and still escape and... you were still in the game even if an oppossing piece was on the same square and each piece was controlled by a different player and there were upwards to 500 different pieces and...well .... a bunch of other stuff...

other than that it is just like chess with or without kings.   Most of us have to stop and let go of our ch jstick and throttle to scratch our heads and say.... "Hmmm let me see.. am I playing AH or chess right now?".... the sounds of explosions are usuallyu the first clue for a lot of us.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Lazs - you need to look up "analogy".

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2003, 04:15:13 PM »
go to the coastlines strat dweebs

the only way to reset a country on festerma is to go up the flank and dont stop.

the center is designed to fold in on itself and sucker any country that tries taking over the center to be fighting both countries at once.

strat targets are all flaking zones

as for strat, ive seen more buffs on festerma than any other map.

hell ive even been flying buffs from the 10k a21 field regularly since i only have to climb to 15k and I can do a bomb run on 2 nearby enemy cities within 75 miles or less and tons of factories.

stop whining and start seeing what works

pathetic field porkers dont know what to do with themselves with all these bases to fly from they are having trouble ruining the fun.

oh but wait

guess what

u have to kill the city and the fuel factory now and they are within range,

and then pork the fuel so it dosnt come back up in half an hour

then you can pork every bases fuel in the area.
but you cant do it alone you need to work together with other players to do such a task..

omg teamwork????

*gasp*
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2003, 04:25:48 PM »
Too defensive Fester.
If everything about the map that was posted in the first post was true. It still would just be a nice alternative to maps that are the absolute oposite and in the majority. If its impossible to make a perfect map then lets at least have diversity.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2003, 04:38:45 PM »
"1. a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump. "

I see nothing analogous between the AH MA and chess.    I believe my previous post was pointing out why.
lazs

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2003, 04:42:23 PM »
Thank god you said Citabria.  I didnt want to type that much, but was thinking the same thing.

This map is brilliant in that it is playable for every aspect this game has to offer.  All it needs is a Tiger Town and this map would have it all.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2003, 05:04:40 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I see nothing analogous between the AH MA and chess.    I believe my previous post was pointing out why.
lazs
Read Jackal's original post again. It wasn't about the MA as such. The MA can be a very different place according to which map is up, as we both well know. Jackal's post was about gameplay on one particular map.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2003, 05:13:17 PM »
ok... so now I really am lost.   if AH is nothing like chess then how is AH gameplay like chess ... with or without kings?

oh wait.. i get it..  AH would be like chess without kings if chess kept stats on kills per death and hit percentage and all that other stuff if... nobody cared who won a chess game.   plus all that other stuff I mentioned before.
lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2003, 05:25:46 PM »
It isn't! That was an analogy. I believe Jackal was alluding to the futility of the gameplay he had seen - kind of like what I said in the first place. ;)

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2003, 05:34:58 PM »
Fester hit the nail on the head. Don't complain about there being no strat opportunity just because the same-old tricks don't work in the same way.

The same old tricks not working is the strat opportunity. If you are a true strat monger, you'd totally love it - a new challenge.

Or you can complain about how boring chess is because you can't jump multiple times and the pieces don't stack, like in checkers.

As for late model vs. early model planes: the furball is the great equalizer. Tooling around in my trusty FM2, I lick my chops at the sight of a half dozen LA7s turning low with a couple of friendlys. On the other hand, I roll my eyes and wonder why I should bother with a flock of twenty Typhoons/190s/P51Ds coming in at 15K to pork a base and either crash or run like hell.

Late model planes are far, far more unballancing on AKDesert than on FesterMA.