Author Topic: How to get a high rank  (Read 28177 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Rank means bugger all.
« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2004, 11:21:53 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I had been trying to interpret the MA scores yet another way. And that is to locate a player whose fighter rank was better than mine and who did not fly the Easymode/Big Three subset of P51/LA7/Spit ix, because I never do. And what did I find? I couldn't find a single pilot who ranked higher than me who didn't fly one, two, or all three of those planes. The process was tedious, with each player's score having to be checked individually. So after a few random checks, I started to look at every tenth player, ie. rankings #10, #20, #30 etc. all the way up to #100. (I was #103 at that time) Couldn't find a single one.
ROFL!  Who would have thought that such an innocuous, casual observation could have generated such a threadfest as this! :lol

Shane, you'd better read what I said again above. At the time I made that check, I was ranked at #103, and for the purposes of checking those ranked higher than me, I used the top 100. Sorry I can't remember who #101 and #102 were. :rolleyes: And forget about akak and his #124; we'll continue to stick to the top 100.

Nothing in that self quoted paragraph was wrong. I made it clear that I had not had time to check EVERY stat. I searched for those who had never flown the big three, and I couldn't find any because it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Now, if I had known that this topic was going to turn into the Spanish Inquisition, I would have done what I did today...

... which was to get to the heart of the matter, and check every single score for the top 100 fighter ranks in the last tour. And these are my findings. And Shane might like some of this. :D

There were only 9 guys in that top 100 who never flew P51/LA7/Spit ix. Mobil (ranked 56) was a borderline case. He flew a P51B in which he died but got no kills.

Of those 9 guys, who as far as I could tell NEVER flew P51/LA7/Spit ix, there was often (but not always) some other easymode/dweeb/überity factor at play, as has been discussed above by Steve, Urchin etc. Here is the list:
  • tarmac (20) - we already know about.
  • DmdCoach (28) - lots of kills in TYPH, as discussed above - in fact of 790 kills, 593 were in the TYPH.
  • Agalland (31) excellent F4U1D score.
  • pjk9 (35) - 250 of 338 kills in a 190D9, but ! I've met pjk, and he's cool. ;)
  • popy (48) - vast majority of fighter kills achieved in a N1K.
  • tori3 (50) zeke5 ace - WTG!
  • Yaws (58) - 109 ace - WTG!
  • lazerus (59) 190A8 expert
  • GTR - ki61
A full 91% of those guys in the top 100 had, at some point, flown the big 3. I said that this was the case, with very few exceptions. How many exceptions? It doesn't even stretch to a double digit value, which in my book is very few. I said what I said, I was careful in what I said, and I was right. These are the FACTS.

Now some of you are asking to what extent did these 91 guys make use of the Big Three? And the answer is that some guys made a small amount of usage of those planes. But that does not invalidate what I said, which was NOT an argument, but a casual observation. But by the same token, many of those guys made massive use of the Big Three. I noticed this especially near the end of my list - ranks 80-100 - page after page of guys who'd got hundreds of kills in the Big Three, but just token amounts in the other planes. Some guys flew two out of three, and some guys (like Shane) fly all three. Hehe, was looking forward to checking Shane's stats, but even the Big Three überkrutch couldn't take him to the top 100 last tour. Better luck next time, matey. ;)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #331 on: January 11, 2004, 11:45:07 AM »
Beet, here's a casual observation:

"Beige, I think I'll paint the ceiling beige."

And it has about as much relevance to who is and who isn't a good PC pixel pilot in AH as your "casual observation".

Beige too cryptic?

Q: What's the difference between a prostitute, a nymphomaniac, and a blonde?
A: The prostitute says "Aren't you done yet?"
The nympho says "Are you done already?"
The blonde says "Beige...I think I'll paint the ceiling beige."

I think a lot of folks are having the same reaction to your energetically expressed "discovery".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 01:33:42 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2004, 12:11:57 PM »
oooo.. well regardless of what you were ranked at the time, end of tour is where it all counts, right? i mean i could outrank you on day 2 without flying those planes (and be in the top 100). i think i was ranked like 8 on day 2 and i had used a 109f4 to get 8 landed kills in ftr category.

and you've just admitted to being 900% wrong.  of course that % goes up even further if you include those who only flew the big-3 (and their "subsets") a very small % of their kills.

and bear in mind, you did say later on,

"The point is that no-one gets into the top 100 fighter ranks, without resorting to the EasyMode™ plane subset, ie P51/LA7/Spit ix."

so no matter how you try and spin it. you're still wrong in what you observed, or rather argued. the above is a very declarative statement, an argument if you will.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
How to get a high rank
« Reply #333 on: January 11, 2004, 12:28:48 PM »
Anyone could rank in the top 10 with nothing but crap planes, say for ex. the D11.

Vulching, or actually flying well, and the stats would not tell the difference.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #334 on: January 11, 2004, 12:32:19 PM »
and even if he did fly well, he'd do a 262 sortie to buzz a MAW swarm for fun, and that'd void the entire tour.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #335 on: January 11, 2004, 12:34:37 PM »
LOL toad... funny :)

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
How to get a high rank
« Reply #336 on: January 11, 2004, 01:50:38 PM »
Originally posted by kj714
"bugger of game - golf that is - few minutes of excitment , surrounded by hours of frustration".

Hmmmmmmmm... sounds like "big isles and pizza".
:p

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2004, 02:17:23 PM »
When you engage a con and another one shows up, there's an excellent chance that #2 is going to be a P51, a Spit ix, or an LA7. As Urchin has said before, even the 109G10 versus a Spit ix will end in stalemate. Others have said the G6 is no match against a Spit ix, and maybe the G2 has no chance.

It seems that this argument depends on every pilot being of equal skill, which is decidedly not the case.

I decided to fly the 109s for base defense last tour. I almost always took gondolas for the improvement in snap-shot killing power. Most of the time I took a G-2 because it offers a better balance of handling and speed than the others. I didn't experience the perceived horror at being engaged by a second and even third enemy while already in a fight. Sure it happened from time to time, but if you kill the primary target quickly you can then concentrate on the interloper. I lost four 109s during tour 47, two to ground fire, one to an auger and the last to a collision.

My point is, unless the guy in the La-7 or Spitfire is a lot better than the run-of-the-mill player, they are in deep bandini, because the G-2 is very good energy fighter and it excels at working angles. Not only that, but even with the gondolas, it can hang with the P-51 and La-7 until they either run or die. Sure the Spitfire IX has the edge it a turning fight. But where does it say you must engage in a turning fight?

I see the bellyaching about the La-7 constantly on these boards. I honestly don't get it though. I do not find the La-7 to be anything more than a target usually piloted by guys who have minimal skills. Sure it's a fabulous airplane (at least as modeled in AH), but so what?

Just because some geek drives a BMW M3, it doesn't mean that he has clue-one how drive it to its limits. There's little doubt his limits are not even close to the car's.

As far as working towards a high ranking is concerned, fly anything with cannons and fly with the horde, vulch as much as possible. Get 50 fighter kills, cherry-pick over furballs with a Tiffie or Dora, then do the same in attack mode, only bomb and strafe easy to hit targets (hangers are hard to miss) and continue to vulch. Bomb undefended rear bases or strat targets (factories). Park a Tiger on the beach and kill LVTs, or spawn camp with same. Sortie a PT boat to a port and shoot some rockets into the base. Finally get a few captures in M3s and goons. Whadda ya know? Top 100. Big freakin' deal........ That and a buck-fifty will get ya on the subway.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #338 on: January 11, 2004, 02:35:34 PM »
Originally posted by Mr. Toad
And it has about as much relevance to who is and who isn't a good PC pixel pilot in AH as your "casual observation".
As Mr. Spock may have said, "Quite correct, Captain!". :) This thread has been about how to get a good rank. It has had bugger all to do with becoming a better pilot. The vast majority of guys in the top 100 have flown the Big Three. I made no comment as to what extent they relied upon the Big 3 überkrutch in order to GET into that top 100. Therefore, what I said is still correct.

Hehe, Shane is working his way towards the DA challenge. :lol
oooo.. well regardless of what you were ranked at the time, end of tour is where it all counts, right?
Wrong. I am free to make whatever observations I choose, at whatever time I like. I am not concerned about my own rank. I never (ie not since about 2 years ago) fly the Big 3 or even the Big 5, and I don't have a squad, so I'm hardly likely to get a good rank. But as you're so interested in end-of-tour ranks, I did that research this afternoon, using tour 47. And more than 90% of the folks in the top 100 flew the Big Three at some point in that tour. That is not a mistake, that is not spin, that is FACT. Some of those guys in the top 100 could have got there without recourse to the Big Three. But guess what? They didn't.
in any case, beet1e is still proven wrong. that's one thing that can't be changed or hedged off.
Erm, nope - nothing wrong with what I said. Spin it any way you want, but when the spinning stops, I can point to A, B, and C, and demonstrate that I was completely correct in what I said. And however much you say I was wrong won't alter the fact that it was I who was right, and you who were wrong.

Sure, I said "resorting" to the Big Three, because in my mind it is a last resort.

Urchin said "And steve- they are the most used planes for a reason. You know perfectly well what that reason is."
SHACK!!! Urchin has been one of my 109 mentors. A young guy, but a decent stick, without being a self adulatory conceited salamander...

...so, Shane loses. He's in here to kick me around, and I'm in here to take pot shots at people's egos. I may not be a good shot (though I was better than I thought I'd be). But when it comes to popping egos, in Shane's case, I don't even have to take aim. You know, Shane, back when I flew for Bishops, I even knew of guys who had a stick button or macro set up to squelch your tedious behind, so as not to have to listen to your torrent of self adulation on Ch1. I can't believe that you could take such an innocuous observation such as mine, and blow it out of all proportion. Still, the biggest egos are also the most fragile. :lol

I'd love a session in the CT just now, but my crappy Logitech stick is broken - will have to wait for a replacement. So... until next time, Love from Beet1e xx

Toodle-Pip. :):)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #339 on: January 11, 2004, 02:45:32 PM »
"Still, the biggest egos are also the most fragile."

grmph, I have to introduce you to a few people..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #340 on: January 11, 2004, 02:57:21 PM »
Hehe, Shane is working his way towards the DA challenge. :lol  Wrong.

why would i want to take you to the DA when you're incapable of learning? and the fact your fragile ego prevents it.

spin, spin, spin, deflect, deflect, deflect all you want. you're still wrong.

tsk, there's that english tripping you up again.

re·course  

a. The act or an instance of turning or applying to a person or thing for aid or security: have recourse to the courts.

b. One that is turned or applied to for aid or security: His only recourse was the police.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 03:01:12 PM by Shane »
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #341 on: January 11, 2004, 03:08:59 PM »
Here, let me try then.

The vast majority of the guys in the Top 100 use a joystick to fly the game.

Or:

The vast majority of the guys in the Top 100 pay HTC to play the game.

Or:

The vast majority of the guys in the Top 100 have, at one time or another, tasted a beer.

All as relevant as anything you've said in this thread with respect to rank.

IMO, of course.

oh, yeah........ beige.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
especially for shane
« Reply #342 on: January 11, 2004, 03:11:10 PM »
  • FACT  -  Knowledge or information based on real occurrences: an account based on fact; a blur of fact and fancy.

Something demonstrated to exist or known to have existed: Genetic engineering is now a fact. That Chaucer was a real person is an undisputed fact.
    A real occurrence; an event: had to prove the facts of the case.
    Something believed to be true or real: a document laced with mistaken facts.
    A thing that has been done, especially a crime: an accessory before the fact.
    Law. The aspect of a case at law comprising events determined by evidence: The jury made a finding of fact.

Idiom:
    in (point of) fact
    In reality or in truth; actually.

Offline twigace

• Zinc Member
hey none of this crap is helping me at all?
« Reply #343 on: January 11, 2004, 03:14:41 PM »
send me sum info that will help me get this running or pls don't send anything at all

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: especially for shane
« Reply #344 on: January 11, 2004, 03:19:44 PM »
i'm still correct with the usage...

please do try harder, you're an embarrassment to poseurs everywhere.