Author Topic: How to get a high rank  (Read 28182 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: hey none of this crap is helping me at all?
« Reply #345 on: January 11, 2004, 03:20:30 PM »
Originally posted by twigace
send me sum info that will help me get this running or pls don't send anything at all

and what exactly would this "this" thing you're referring to be?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #346 on: January 11, 2004, 03:27:27 PM »
How to get a high rank maybe?  lol... we've wandered completely off-topic I think.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #347 on: January 11, 2004, 03:55:20 PM »
This has degenerated into another of Beet's lag whines.

I don't understand the whine. There fun to fight. I'm very average and don't do half bad against them.

Flew a few sorties in them and couldn't hit squat with the guns. That would apply to FM2's also.

To each his own. Beet it is really personal choice.

I don't see a reason for the complaint anyway. From the films you've posted I've never seen you "fight" anyhow.

From your end it might seem like a fight, but from my end I wouldn't break sweat.

But what qualifies as a fight is open to ones own view also.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
How to get a high rank
« Reply #348 on: January 11, 2004, 04:02:41 PM »
Originally posted by DrDea
To score high you must do this.

1: Pratice.Listen to the vets.Find a plane that suits you reGARDLESS of weather or not Beet thinks its suitable.

2: Ignore the dweebs that tell you your choice of plane is bad.When they pay your 14.95 then listen.Till then tell them to STFU.

3: There are NO easy ways to score hi.You MUST be good at all aspects to score high.

4: If you feel the need to do the things gamey wise to score hi the rest of the arena will realise this and your small mental award will mean nothing to anyone but you.

5: above all ENJOY the game whatever scope that takes.As for the  Big 4 nazis?They can kiss my ass.

Wow...the most common sense post I've read in this thread.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
How to get a high rank
« Reply #349 on: January 11, 2004, 04:37:04 PM »
Originally posted by nopoop

From the films you've posted I've never seen you "fight" anyhow.

He's afraid to snap that timid little wrist he has doing that crazy 'ACM' stuff.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #350 on: January 11, 2004, 06:29:21 PM »
Now here is an intresting 8 page topic.

Let me translate for all of you who did not read the entire postings.

Blah, blah, blah, rankings, blah, blah, score, blah, blah, blah, top pilots, blah blah, blah, rank, blah, blah, blah, scoring system, blah, blah, blah, blah, my rank, blah, blah, blah, and blah!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #351 on: January 11, 2004, 07:35:35 PM »
Urchin said:

So I still think it is true that most people in the top 100 for fighters rely on their plane to get them there, and would not be there if not for that.

really?  NOT
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #352 on: January 11, 2004, 08:31:57 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I see the bellyaching about the La-7 constantly on these boards. I honestly don't get it though. I do not find the La-7 to be anything more than a target usually piloted by guys who have minimal skills. Sure it's a fabulous airplane (at least as modeled in AH), but so what?

My thoughts exactly. I'm 11-1 against them this tour and I've been screwing around trying to learn the P38...a plane thats supposed to get eaten up by LA7s.

Its a bad plane for newbies. Poor gunnery neuters the pilot as a threat from anywhere except close 6 and that much hyped acceleration victimises rookie pilots who have no concept of throttle control.

LA7s are great for highlight reels because they'll give you those spectacular overshoots to ooo and ah over.
Hornet

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #353 on: January 11, 2004, 09:36:16 PM »
On my end I seem to fly the same whether it be a turner or an E plane. One Dee and spitty 5 are my favorites. Dabble in different aircraft but my favorite stable remains constant. Usually around a 50-50 mix between the two with a hellkitty, 51 ( fuel porkage ) or a Yak thrown into the mix.

Regardless of what I fly, when all is said and done the K/D K/H K/S and gunnery remains the SAME.

Exceptions on the good side are the C-hog and the tiffy. I usually kick booty in those.

Exceptions on the bad side are the FM2, 51B's and F4U1-A's. I just die.

I lean towards the pilot not the plane. For the simple fact that from my experience unless it's drastic, it makes no difference with my results.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #354 on: January 12, 2004, 03:52:34 AM »
“Nopoop”  would seem to be a bit of a misnomer in this case. :D

Because your earlier post is full of it!

” This has degenerated into another of Beet's lag whines. I don't understand the whine. There fun to fight.” The reason you can’t understand the whine is because it isn’t a whine. Seems like some people can’t differentiate between an argument, a whine, and a casual observation! But then again, some people cannot differentiate between “there”, “their”, and “they’re”, so it’s hardly surprising. ;)

My career k/d against LA7 is about 2.28, so no complaints about the Lag; would be nice if every other plane was not a lag though, which is how it is in the CT. Which is why I fly there these days.

” I don't see a reason for the complaint anyway. From the films you've posted I've never seen you "fight" anyhow.” Yeah, and yet in most tours I end up in the top 200 fighter ranks. Funny how that happens without “fighting”. Which must mean that there are about 3,000 other guys not fighting. Either that, or, as we’ve been saying all along, rank means bugger all. :D

” But what qualifies as a fight is open to ones own view also.” I guess you must be right on that one. Because HTC’s interpretation of “fighting” would seem to differ from yours, if the scoresheets are to be believed. :aok

BTW, nopoop, give me a webcam and I’ll be able to post a film of me typing that. :lol :aok:aok

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #355 on: January 12, 2004, 08:10:02 AM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Beets...

...and you totally missed my point. The majority of La7's that I see are the run of the mill Lemming Warriors or noobs that think the plane will save them. My point is that Shane is neither. (Pssst...this is one of those reasons that the scoring system lacks validity when attempting to measure a another player's skill since it can not take fighting style into account). Your 7/13 in La7's does not lend credibility too your argument. No, I'm not trying to be a Richard Cranium about it :). I'm just suggesting that you take one of those uber planes, fight against the odds for a camp or so. You just might find that, contray to popular opinion, they aren't always so uber :).
I flew the LA7 one evening about two years ago for experimental purposes. I knew nothing about the type, and flying it was the best way to find out what it could and could not do. True - 7 kills, 13 deaths - I'll come back to this in a moment.

You know, if I simply mention that I got 27 kills in a P51D one evening, without being pinged even once, someone will be quick to point out that this feat does not make me an expert. True enough, but I never claimed to be an expert; I merely said that it had been easy.

Similarly, if I were to point out that I had a 11/1 career k/d in the 190F8, you might be quick to point out (along with many others) that as I have only 11 kills and 1 death in that plane that the data does not form a representative sample, and you would be quick to dismiss my stats on it as meaningless.

So I find it rather curious that when the situation is reversed, and a plane is discovered for which my career stats are 7/13, that people like shane-the-spin-merchant and yourself should seize upon those stats to make a "point".

Hmmm, funny that. :confused: Can you say "biased"? :aok

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #356 on: January 12, 2004, 08:10:43 AM »
Ya know I dont think it would be too far off to say that the "Majority" of the arena flies one of the "big4" at some time in every camp.In fact I would wager a guess that its much MORE than the majority. Fly what ya like.Like what you fly.Dont sit there and expect the world to fit your mold.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #357 on: January 12, 2004, 08:15:33 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e

So I find it rather curious that when the situation is reversed, and a plane is discovered for which my career stats are 7/13, that people like shane-the-spin-merchant and yourself should seize upon those stats to make a "point".

Hmmm, funny that. :confused: Can you say "biased"? :aok

Not when your claiming its an uber plane and easy to fly yet get killed in it 2 times for every death.If it was an uber plame then you would be expected to have a much more impressive K/D. I still say its the pilot more than the plane in most cases.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #358 on: January 12, 2004, 08:16:02 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e

you have no basis by which to make the claim the la7 is "easy-mode."  your own little experiment showed you how difficult it was to fly and get kills in. if it were as easy as you say, one would think you'd have at least a 1:1 in it.  oh right... i forgot, the la7 doesn't perform as uber at the altitudes you prefer to operate at.

but hey, you're *the* nutty professor, do please keep us entertained with your antics.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 08:18:09 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #359 on: January 12, 2004, 08:17:28 AM »
steve.. I do fly a yak once in  a while and have flown the tempest..

You can make sure that yu are untouchable.   you may have one threat or so because there is allways someone in the arena that will climb higher than everyone he can see but... you and I know that guy aint much of a threat.   I notice that in the fast planes... I get away.   I don't have to fight my way home... just look around and go fast.  It's not fun but it is pretty risk free.

you are way better off in the best planes in the game... the guys who care about top rank use em because they are the best tool in the game.... by a large margin.    they don't use em cause they are fans of those planes... they use em cause they can fight em with the least risk to themselves... they can use/substitute  patience for "skill".    They have less to worry about in the fastest planes.

lazs