Author Topic: WWII Online  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Hartz

• Zinc Member
WWII Online
« on: February 01, 2004, 11:11:41 AM »
Just wondering if anybody has thoughts on WWII Online.  I'm a devoted unaffiliated AH Knight, but I've heard the GV fighting especially in WWII Online is pretty cool.    Just wondering if anyone has experience/thoughts with WWII Online.

Offline DYGCaps

• Copper Member
WWII Online
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 02:19:05 PM »
WW2OL sucks, horrible excuse for a game.  Took me an hour just to figure out how to start the game, ended up having to launch it from a website.  When I finally got in, I managed to find a mission with a Hawk 75 (french fighter) but then, I couldn't figure out how to get it off the ground, being as how my joystick throttle would not work.  So I ended that and decided to try the infantry thing, walked for 15 minutes, then a truck came by and picked me up, rode around for another 15 minutes, jumped off, walked around a bit more, all of a sudden I heard a machine gun and 5 seconds later I was dead.  This concluded my WW2OL Expereince.

Offline Hartz

• Zinc Member
WWII Online
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 02:54:12 PM »
Thanks, DYG.  Actually, that sounds like my first go in a GV with AH.

Offline Heinkel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.3-jg2.com
WWII Online
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 03:09:11 PM »
Did you expect to be some war hero the first time playing it DYGCaps? If you haven't tried it, give it a look. For planes its pretty crappy...the GV aspect of it is the best (imo) there is as far as online ground combat goes.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
WWII Online
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 03:34:37 PM »
Originally posted by DYGCaps
WW2OL sucks, horrible excuse for a game.  Took me an hour just to figure out how to start the game, ended up having to launch it from a website.  When I finally got in, I managed to find a mission with a Hawk 75 (french fighter) but then, I couldn't figure out how to get it off the ground, being as how my joystick throttle would not work.  So I ended that and decided to try the infantry thing, walked for 15 minutes, then a truck came by and picked me up, rode around for another 15 minutes, jumped off, walked around a bit more, all of a sudden I heard a machine gun and 5 seconds later I was dead.  This concluded my WW2OL Expereince.

How can you judge an entire game based on your inability figure it out?  lol!

Hartz,

The ground war is fun.  You can't really compare AH and WW2OL ground war because AH is primarily a flight sim.  Its ground war is more of a side show.  I like some elements of the air war (such as engine management), but AH takes the cake when it comes to large arena combat flight sims.

Give it a try.  The usually have promotions every once and a while.  Be sure to read any documentation on joystick setup and keymapping first before deeming the game crap :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WWII Online
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 04:19:08 PM »
Make sure you try and hook up with a squad, it will make a huge differene to your ingame experience.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
WWII Online
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 04:42:26 PM »
Even testing it offline I could tell the ground war would be a blast.  Long story short, I simply cannot get back online. It's like applying for a house mortgage. I won't jump through those hoops.

Now don't get all huffy, just saying. With a CD Key and swearing off the game after buying the full version on day one, and then getting another CD and key for Xmas later, I still just can't connect.

Nothing more. They have protected themselves from hackers at least.

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
WWII Online
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 05:45:07 PM »
depends on what you call fun. it's a totally different experience.

aside from bad technical issues, know the action is totally controlled by others. the 'lone wolf' thing is total discouraged. you are pretty much told where and when to fight.

you may want to drive a tank, but you may not be able to find one due to the attrition part of the game.

the flight model is porked, and unless you've got screaming CPU, card and tons of RAM, your FR will drop to zero when flying over a crowded battlefield.

i tried for 3 it months with my old AW squad, but just wasn't having any fun. i got into sim-ing to fly, not be a ground pounder.
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
WWII Online
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2004, 06:21:53 PM »
where's banana...

Offline Cabby44

• Copper Member
WWII Online
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2004, 10:21:08 PM »
WWIIOL rocks.    "Gottawins" and "Air Quake" fans won't like it, tho...
C.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
WWII Online
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 12:24:23 AM »
Took the words right outa my mouth Sunking!

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
WWII Online
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 12:58:12 AM »
AH2 will be interesting as far as the ground war goes. The cover of trees should make it more interesting. I think if they got rid of the icons on the GV's, it would make the ground war much better. I'll be the first to admit I vulch GV's in a hurc, they have no cover and the icon says"here I am! Come get me!

I know what you're thinking, w/o icons, GV's will capture a base easier and overrun the map. But with big maps becoming the norm, base capture should become easier, there are plenty of fields, and it makes the game fun and rewards those who take the risks and go on the offensive.

I had high hopes for ww2online, but the flight model trumps all imo. If there was a game that had the flight model of HTC and the ground model of ww2online, I would play it.

With the tiger being added, you know HTC realizes there is a customer base to be tapped. I'm looking forward to AH2.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WWII Online
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 09:21:36 AM »
I like the ground war enviroment of WWIIOL.. its big... huge...
Wide variety of battlegrounds to choose from and all connected together.
I'm not either too much into instant action shooting, so it's fine by me if it takes 15 minutes to walk - that one... two... three....  kills makes it even more rewarding!

Although I'm not the fan of some things which rats keeps driving ahead, but the game is unique with the enviroment and theres no other alike.

(I get bored with insta action easier, too repeative)

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
WWII Online
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by SunKing
where's banana...

Took the words right outa my mouth Sunking!

Ahem. Well, since Sunking and Ghosth have already branded me the "Hardcase" of my AH squad, I might as well live up to the moniker. I'll try to be fair and give the good points along with the bad, as I know them. I'm no expert, but say this based on my experiences playing the game in the past two months.

I'll let the numbers speak for themselves. My AH squad, the 332nd Flying Mongrels, have aproximately 32 members. About two months ago, I went off and tried WWIIOL again for the fourth time. Every previous attempt to enjoy WWIIOL was frustrated by bugs and extremely high system requirements to get decent frame rates. With the appearance of v1.11, WWIIOL is finally the "complete" combined ops game that it proclaimed itself to be from day one.

After making one post on my AH squad's bulletin board about how much I was enjoying WWIIOL, some of my other squaddies got interested and decided to give WWIIOL another try. Within the last month, 21 people from my AH squad have joined our WWIIOL squad. That's 21 out of a squad of aprox 32 guys.

Actually, 22 guys from the squad have given it a try so far, and one of them, Sunking, didn't like it and has cancelled his account. The rest of the guys seem to be having a fun time, but I won't speak for them.

I can only speak for myself when I say that WWIIOL has rejuvenated the jaded gamer in me, causing me to lose countless hours of sleep, as I log in almost every night after putting my son to sleep. I haven't had this much fun in a game since the first year I played Warbirds, way back in 1996.

The focal point in WWIIOL is the ground war, no doubt about it. It's pretty much an FPS with real people instead of AI bots, and no scripts.  You can play as infantry, anti-tank, anti-aircraft, tank driver/commander/gunner, even truck driver. In fact, the tanks can be multi-crewed, so you can have three guys in one tank manning each of the positions at the same time.

In the ground war(as infantry), you start off as a private, and are limited to using a rifle as your main weapon. Once you get experience by surviving missions and getting kills, you get promoted and aquire access to more weapons, such as the sub-machine gun, light machine gun, and satchel charges. When you make Captain, you aquire the services of a pair of binoculars, which totally transforms the game by increasing your situational awareness ten-fold.

The icon system for infantry is interesting, in that there are no icons for the enemy. When you see a guy running a across a field without an icon above his head, he is an enemy soldier. The simple rule is....icon= friendly, no icon= shoot him!

The ground vehicles are nicely modelled, with many tanks and trucks to drive and fight with. I was pleasantly surprised to find that driving an infantry transport truck can be fun and rewarding, as many people will express their gratitude for you giving them a ride, or for towing their anti-tank gun into position.

WWIIOL is for the team-oriented. While it is possible to play as a lone wolf, I would argue that the game is experienced at it's finest when you have joined a squad, and are working as part of a team. As I mentioned before, every unit has a function and an important role to play. The Anti-tank gunners need the Truck drivers to get them to their destinations in a timely manner, and the same is true for the infantry. While it is possible to walk to your destination, it is much faster to hitch a ride on a truck. Hence the popularity of truck drivers.

At this time, it would be appropriate to mention an annoying problem that afflicts WWIIOL(and indeed AH), the 64 player limit syndrome. On busy nights with a lot of players online, you will sometimes see friendly players blink out or turn invisible for a few moments. This is very disconcerting, to say the least, but luckily it has been my experience that this happens rarely. And I understand that in such situations, the enemy is given priority over friendlies, so bad guys shouldn't be blinking in and out, only friendlies. So while this is an annoying problem, it has been my experience that is happens so rarely as to be a minor annoyance.

Another silly anomoly is that if a truck driver has a load of troops in his truck, and drives under a certain type of tree, the men in his truck can(and usually will) be wounded or killed. What this amounts to is an unwritten rule to never drive directly under trees if you're loaded with troops, only drive near them. It's a stupid bug to not have quashed by now, but I guess the rats have more pressing bugs to spend their development time on.

Moving along to what is undeniably the most debated and subjective part of WWIIOL- the air war. I will state catagorically that you will probably either love it or hate it. I doubt if there is any middle ground, here. I happen to love it, and here's why:

In WWIIOL, if you fly for the Allies, you will only fight against the Bf-109E, Bf-109F, Bf-110C, JU-87B and HE-111. You will not encounter any Niki's, Chog's or LA7's.

The air war, likewise the ground war, is limited by the amount of supply that a particular airfield has available to it. Supply plays an important role in WWIIOL. What this means to the players is that there is not always available aircraft to jump into. It is imperative that you bring your plane and yourself back to base in one piece, because if you get shot down, there may not be another aircraft waiting for you back at the hanger. As long as you RTB safely, your plane is reserved for you. But once you lose it, then you might have to wait until more planes become available. As you can see, the odds of finding Lazs playing WWIIOL are very slim!

Like the ground war, your "Air Force" character starts out as a private, limited to flying certain aircraft. I play on the Allied side, so my flying has been limited to either the Hurricane I when I fly British, and to the Hawk 75 when I fly French.

I haven't learned everything about rank and promotion, but what I do understand now is that I will be limited to flying those aircraft until I reach a certain rank. Once that happens, then I will be able to fly the Spitfire and bombers. That's right, you have to reach a certain rank to be a bomber pilot!

I just got promoted to private first class in the RAF, and it took aproximately 8 successful missions to get promoted. Now, that doesn't sound hard, except that in order to get a mission success and earn points toward my promotion, I had to shoot down an enemy plane and safely return to base. All the missions I flew where I shot down planes, yet failed to return, resulted in zero points! As you can see, you have to fly aggressive enough to make a kill, but then be smart enough to know when to disengage and rtb to claim your points for promotion.

Speaking of disengaging, that is my favorite things about the air combat in WWIIOL. It is actually possible to disengage from a fight in WWIIOL. How many times have you been in trouble in a fight in AH, and have been unable to shake your opponent off and disengage? I thought so. Me too. The neon icons in AH, IMO, make it next to impossible to disengage from a fight.

In WWIIOL, however, the icon system is limited, and so is the view system. You won't find any of the configurable cockpit views of AH in WWIIOL. What you get is the standard views, with no direct-six view at all. This lack of a direct-six view is a good thing, IMO. It allows for bounces to occur. If you are careful, you can sneak up on an enemy plane and make an easy kill before he knows what hit him. Conversely, it is the wise pilot who performs regular checks on his six by performing flat half-circles, etc.

The limited air icon system works like this: your first indication of another aircraft is a dark grey circle, you know there's a plane out there, but you have no idea if it's friendly or not. The onboard AWACS radar of AH, complete with dots and dar bar,  does not exist in WWIIOL.

Once you approach within a certain distance from the con(I'm not sure how far it is, but it's pretty close), you will see that it's either a friendly or an enemy plane, with the make of the plane given(i.e. Bf-109). Then as you get closer still you will finally be able to see the aircraft itself and commence to shoot it down. It is relatively easy to lose vis on a enemy aircraft, so the old motto "lose sight, lose the fight" applies in spades here. I have experienced times where I have been in the thick of a multi-plane furball one moment, only to find myself completely alone the next moment. Just like how I've often read about fights in books.

The clouds layers of WWIIOL also contribute to the fun. They are not cumulous clouds like AH has, but are more like translucent, whispy, cirrus clouds. They are mostly opaque in that you can see through most of them, although there are some places where they thicken up to be impenatrable. However, they are definately more sophisticated, IMO, than the "flip the switch" clouds of AH. In AH, you are either in total gray inside the cloud, or you are outside of the cloud. In WWIIOL, there is a gradual transition.

The guns of the Luftwaffe are very effective, as I can attest to. I have more than once been the victim of a single guns pass from a Bf-109E. When those 20mm slugs hit your Hurricane, you're going down. Although, to be fair, I have been damaged by 109's and been able to disengage from the fight and make my way safely home, albeit with crippled controls. Funny, I have yet to take any engine damage in my Hurricane. Usually for me it's my control surfaces that end up damaged. Either that, or I am killed straight away by a pilot hit.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
WWII Online
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2004, 10:45:43 AM »
I will never forget my first kill in my Hurricane. It was on a 109E who bounced me, but missed. Patrolling at 21,000ft, I saw his tracers wizz by my cockpit, so I performed a rolling scissors and got behind him after a few moments of manuevering. He tried to shake me, but wasn't smart enough to try a negative-G move which I couldn't have followed with my carburated engine. Anyway, I think he finally lost vis on me, because he ended up trying to climb his way out of trouble. Unfortunately for him, I had the energy, and zoom climbed right with him and cut loose with my 8 .303's, which hit him in the forward fuselage area. His engine blew up, literally. It was a thing of beauty. The explosion was not over-done in a "Terminator" movie type way, but was small, yet very orangish-yellow. When I saw that, I stopped firing because I knew he was finished. I may have hit the pilot for all I know, because his plane went straight down in flames and smoke.

I may have forgotten to mention that there is no host message signifying you got a kill. You won't find out the results of your mission until it's complete. But, as in my case, I knew I had the kill.

As I have noted in earlier threads, taking off and landing is slightly more involved and complicated than in AH, although once a short adjustment period is complete, it's as natural as in any other sim you have spent time in.

I am not a real life pilot, so I have no idea whether the flight model in WWIIOL is more realistic than AH, so I'll just say that I like it as much as I do the AH flight model. It's just different. Once you get used to it, the feel is no better or worse than AH or Warbirds, for that matter. You can black out and red out in WWIIOL, and stalling is possible, especially when landing if you're not careful with your airspeed. Not sure about spins, though, as I've never tried to put any aircraft in a flat spin yet.

Negative-G moves make the engine in the carburated Hurricane and Spitfire cut out, as they should.

One curious aspect of flight in WWIIOL, is that you can't bail out of an aircraft yet. You get shot down, then you ride the plane into the ground. From what I understand, the rats are going to be implementing paratroops into the game in the future, and are going to wait until that is modelled before allowing bail outs, obviously so that the bail out model matches that of troops jumping out of transport craft.  

How do I know that the developers are going to implement paratroops? Do I read the WWIIOL boards? Nope. I receive a little email newsletter from Cornered Rat Software about once every two weeks. This newsletter usually includes a note from the game producer, which tells what the rats are working on for the next couple of releases, and what's coming down the pipeline in terms of features, bug fixes and any units or weapons otw.  Coming soon, for example, are rifle grenades for the infantry. The newsletter also has a question/answer section, where they answer questions sent in by customers. Yes, they actually answer questions sent in by customers! In this regard, CRS beats HTC, hands down. HiTech and Pyro are about as cryptic as you can get. The rats are much more forthcoming with upcoming features, etc.

However, it must be noted that the rats' customer support is abysmal. In fact, I don't even believe it really exists. Sure, you can open a problem ticket with CRS on their website, but you'll never get a reply. I opened a ticket about two months ago when I was having a problem with changing my in-game callsign, and to this day I have not heard back from them(although, to be fair, the problem was a case of "user error" and has been resolved by me).

In this regard, HTC and Skuzzy kicks the rats butt. HTC has world-class customer service. When you call HTC, more times than not, Skuzzy will answer the phone. When you call CRS, you are told that they don't do phone customer support. But you can get to a human if you're a member of the press, or if you want to become a sponsor or an investor. Go figure!

So, for customer support, you are left to fend for yourself, or seek help from the other customers on the WWIIOL forums. Luckily, I have had no problems running the game.