Author Topic: How many feel that their countries gun laws are too strict...  (Read 3000 times)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
How many feel that their countries gun laws are too strict...
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2004, 06:09:32 PM »
Originally posted by Nashwan
Kitchen knife.

Yes because we'd all starve.

you wouldn't starve, your government could issue pre-cut food or maybe food cutting centers run by the government.

But if they cared about actual homicide rates, they would ban alcohol and cars .

Intead they banned guns, when we all know ( as Beetle says) there has never been a year with more than 100 gun deaths in the UK . So with guns never being a problem in the UK, what was the logic used to ban them?

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2004, 06:33:08 PM »
you wouldn't starve, your government could issue pre-cut food or maybe food cutting centers run by the government.

Which would put the cost of the food up to such an extent there'd be malnutrition and much increased deaths from diseases.

But if they cared about actual homicide rates, they would ban alcohol and cars .

Cars ditto above. 3,500 (approx) deaths on the road each year, tens of thousands saved by cheaper food and medicines that a mobile society can produce.

An alcohol ban would have some validity, but the majority of alcohol deaths are self inflicted. Counting cars and homicides, deaths of 3rd parties caused by alcohol are probably under 500 per year, which needs to be measured against the amount of alcohol consumption and the benefits people derive from it. Alcohol consumption is on a different order of magnitue to firearms use, and deaths (other than self inflicted) are much lower.

Intead they banned guns, when we all know ( as Beetle says) there has never been a year with more than 100 gun deaths in the UK . So with guns never being a problem in the UK, what was the logic used to ban them?

There was no logic. There was a mass shooting at a school, and the media led a campaign to ban them. As in America, the politicians cannot stand up to the media.

Britain had perfectly good gun control laws before handguns were all-but banned in the late 90s.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2004, 06:55:05 PM »
Originally posted by Nashwan
There was no logic. There was a mass shooting at a school, and the media led a campaign to ban them. As in America, the politicians cannot stand up to the media.

Britain had perfectly good gun control laws before handguns were all-but banned in the late 90s.

Well we have had our share of school shootings with the media going nutz. Luckily our government isn't controlled by the media...and we still have guns.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2004, 07:51:00 PM »
You have more than your shar eof school shootings and your media effects public opinion and official policy just as much as ours: it's just that gun ownership has a much mor powerful lobby behind it in the US than the UK.

Offline Stoned Gecko

• Copper Member
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2004, 01:24:33 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Come on Lazs, you can't be that obtuse! Just compare the US and UK. Fewer than 100 gun related homicides here in any year. And in the US, there's never been a year when there were fewer than 5,000. And it's on the increase. Let's hope it doesn't get back to 1992 levels, when more than 13,000 people in the US were victims of gun related homicide.

How many of those were committed with legally purchased guns by the gun owner?

And that figure does not take into account the deaths arising from accidental discharges.

Accidents happen using damn near everything. With that logic we should outlaw or very heavily control knives, cars, planes, construction equipment, bathtubs, stairs, any buildings with more than one floor, all electrical devices, along with electricity, all chemicals, etc. May be we should become the society of sissies on Demolition Man. "Salt is bad for you, and therefore illegal."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2004, 02:58:48 AM »
Originally posted by Stoned Gecko
How many of those were committed with legally purchased guns by the gun owner?
Who knows... but you strengthen my point of view if you're saying that many/most are committed by someone other than the legally registered owner. If not kept in a secure safe like the one Lazs has, guns can be stolen and get into bad hands. Or criminals who want a gun might be willing to pay a premium to get hold of one, and make someone an offer he cannot refuse... Wasn't one of those Columbine kids involved in selling on weapons to the criminal underworld to make a few $?
Accidents happen using damn near everything. With that logic we should outlaw or very heavily control knives, cars, planes, construction equipment, bathtubs, stairs, any buildings with more than one floor, all electrical devices, along with electricity, all chemicals, etc. May be we should become the society of sissies on Demolition Man. "Salt is bad for you, and therefore illegal."
Knives, cars, planes, bathtubs etc. all have legitimate purposes. It would be very difficult for me to live without them, or make do without electricity in this day and age. But a gun has only one purpose. It is designed to launch a lethal projectile. Yeah I know, waah-waah-waah-waah-shooting-range-waah-waah-waah-waah-second-amendment-waahwaah.... All I'm saying is that I can do without a gun; I would find if very difficult to get by without electricity etc.

But I agree with you on one thing. Salt is bad for you - blood pressure. I rarely add any to my food, and then only a very little. Ban it! ;)

• America’s constitutional right to bear arms is an anachronism dating back to the 18th century. In modern times, it is an unmitigated disaster which has given rise to many millions of privately owned guns and an alarming homicide rate, with a tally of more than 300,000 firearms related homicides in the past 25 years. While no law can be 100% effective, Britain has no “gun culture”, and much stricter firearms controls which have contained the annual tally of gun related homicides to a double digit value - fewer than one fiftieth of the American gun-related homicide rate per 100,000 population.[/color]
    [/size]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
    • Platinum Member
        • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
    « Reply #66 on: February 09, 2004, 03:27:40 AM »
    That’s pretty myopic Beetard. And a foolish if not misleading statement. Guns don’t have just one purpose.

They launch projectiles, sure. But if you rob my house I’ll just kick your bellybutton and take your wallet, and use your credit card on Ebay. If Raub trys to rob my house, I would just shoot him and then use his credit card on Ebay.

Flossy would just rob your house, and kick your ass. See?
    « Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 03:36:43 AM by Creamo »

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
    • Platinum Member
    « Reply #67 on: February 09, 2004, 03:56:14 AM »
    Originally posted by Creamo
    That’s pretty myopic Beetard. And a foolish if not misleading statement. Guns don’t have just one purpose.

They launch projectiles, sure. But if you rob my house I’ll just kick your bellybutton and take your wallet, and use your credit card on Ebay. If Raub trys to rob my house, I would just shoot him and then use his credit card on Ebay.

Flossy would just rob your house, and kick your ass. See?
    No need. You've made us aware of what you eat and drink. If you wanted to disable an intruder to your home, all you'd have to do is fart in their general direction. :lol

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
    • Platinum Member
        • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
    « Reply #68 on: February 09, 2004, 04:12:24 AM »
    Don't ruin the thread Beetle.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
    « Reply #69 on: February 09, 2004, 08:18:03 AM »
    beetle... if your point is that the U.S. is more violent or homicidal than the uk. then that is understandable...  just as Japan is more suicidal... if your point is that guns are what makes The U.S. more homicidal then you are childish... well... not so much childish as you are womanly hysterical.

The point is... that adding guns reduces the homicides in the U.S. and taking away guns in the uk increases crime and homicides... or at best... leaves it statisticly the same.

so.... you have given up your freedoms for nothing... for womanly fear.

if you gave everyone in your country the right to bear arms your homicide rate would stay the same or drop and it would still be less than that of the U.S.

The factors that make for the differences between our countries rates are not firearms.  

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
    • Platinum Member
    « Reply #70 on: February 09, 2004, 11:18:10 AM »
    Don't worry, Creamo. I could tell this thread was almost done when I read
    Originally posted by lazs2
    so.... you have given up your freedoms for nothing... for womanly fear.
    Well Lazs, allow me to take a step back a moment...

See when I came to the US in 1979 to live and work, I knew that there were a lot of privately owned guns. I thought just about everyone might carry one, and wondered if I would need to buy my own. When I got there, I half expected the guys in my department to be wearing holstered guns under their jackets/suitcoats. I quickly realised that was not the case. No-one I ever worked with came to work with a gun, and there was no discussion of guns at work. Shortly afterwards in 1980, a gun related atrocity had occurred in Chicago not far from where I was working. It might have been the Cabrini Green housing project - too long ago to remember the details. But I remember an article appearing in the Chicago Tribune, quoting the gun related homicide stats for the major countries in Europe. The values were all single or double digit values. And then there was the American stat - 10,000+. And I thought "so much for guns making the place safer" Then Mike Royko in the Tribune began a series of articles which ran and ran - one a day - in which he argued the case against guns.

I came back to England in 1982, and walked into a new crisis - the US placement of Cruise missiles at USAF Greenham Common. The protesters there were all women, or wimmin as they preferred to be known. They must have been playing up to your sterotype - lol. Those wimmin and the Labour Party wanted to get rid of nuclear weapons unilaterally - that is, get rid of them regardless of whether Russia got rid of theirs. I was against that and, fortunately for all mankind, so were Thatcher and Reagan. Later of course we had multilateral disarmament brought about by the "peace dividend", and several American air force bases, including USAF Greenham Common, have since closed because they were no longer needed. The "peace wimmin" remained; well, they were all dykes, and probably liked each other's company... ;)

So just now, when I looked for some material from Royko, I found this.
    "Finally, I noticed something else. Strict gun laws are about as effective as strict drug laws. The drugs flow and so does the supply of weapons. It pains me to say this, but the NRA seems to be right: The cities and states that have the toughest gun laws have the most murder and mayhem. Just as junkies find drugs, criminals find weapons. And I haven't the faintest idea how to prevent it. And we've now reached the point where most law-abiding gun owners believe that they need their guns because of all the artillery that is in the hands of the loonies. They are against unilateral disarmament."
    The key is in the last two sentences. The loonies are armed to the teeth, and you guys don't want unilateral disarmament....

... and I don't blame you. That's why I have NEVER said on this BBS that law abiding people in America should be made to give up their guns. But what I have done (on many occasions!) is to point out the cost in terms of human lives of a policy which allows an unlimited supply of handguns and other deadly weapons to get into the hands of the bad guys.

My Californian friend, CPP, lives in a remote area near Oxnard and has a pistol. He hates the thing. He hates even more the fact that circumstances conspired to persuade him to get one. There's only one reason you guys need a gun - to defend yourself from a bad guy who also has a gun. What we have done in Europe/NZ/Japan etc. is to strive for the scenario whereby even the bad guys don't have guns. That way, the good guys won't need them either. It's a strategy that has worked, even if it hasn't worked perfectly.

So your attempts to glorify gun ownership to the rest of the world are going to fall on deaf ears, I'm afraid. You probably have a lot of guys here who support your stance, just as I have a lot of guys who support mine.

The problem for the US is, and always will be, that there are so many guns in circulation now that attempts to rectify this will leave guns in criminal hands only.

Far from viewing American gun ownership rights as something we envy, most of us outside the US can see that private gun ownership is something you are saddled with, and for which you will go on paying a cost of thousands of lives every year.

_____________________________ _________
      • America’s constitutional right to bear arms is an anachronism dating back to the 18th century. In modern times, it is an unmitigated disaster which has given rise to many millions of privately owned guns and an alarming homicide rate, with a tally of more than 300,000 firearms related homicides in the past 25 years. While no law can be 100% effective, Britain has no “gun culture”, and much stricter firearms controls which have contained the annual tally of gun related homicides to a double digit value - fewer than one fiftieth of the American gun-related homicide rate per 100,000 population.[/color]
      [/size]

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
          • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
      « Reply #71 on: February 09, 2004, 11:30:53 AM »
      And you operate under the illusion that the only reason I want to own firearms is because I need to.  Because I live in constant fear.  Which is not true.  And we've told you that.

However, you continue to base your theory on a falsity.  Which doesn't help your theory at all.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
          • http://n/a
      « Reply #72 on: February 09, 2004, 11:36:06 AM »
      Dune..not trying to be argumentative...but why do you own guns?

You appear in every gun thread advocating ownership and you are a huge fan of the monthly NRA propaganda.

I'm not saying that you are in constant fear of your life, but defensive reasons are part of why you own guns right?

Or are they just cute and fund?;)
      Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
          • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
      « Reply #73 on: February 09, 2004, 11:59:43 AM »
      They are incredibly cute and fund  ;)

Why do I own guns?

To hunt with.  Becuase I enjoy target shooting.  I enjoy working up different loads and seeing which are the most accurate in that particular gun.  I enjoy collecting them. I have several WW2 vintage guns, and just like someone who would collect a WW2 fighter or uniform or medal, I enjoy collecting memorabella.  It's a hobby.  I enjoy showing them to friends, to handling them, to studying them.  And, although I haven't in awhile, I also use them to compete in shooting competitions.

And yes, I do own firearms that serve a potentially defensive purpose.  I suppose athat, if need be, I could use any of my guns in a defensive way.  But, the majority of guns I own wouldn't be considered appropriate for that use (Hunting rifles, bird guns, a Garand or FN-Fal)  Do I own guns that are well suited for defensive purposes?  Yep.  But do the reasons for owning them I gave above also apply?  Yes to that question also.  I enjoy shooting my S&W Airweight Bodyguard or my Colt 1911 Officer's Model (both guns well-suited to conceal carry) just as much as I enjoy shooting my .416 Rem Mag or my M1 Carbine (neither of which would make a particularly good defensive weapon)

Simply put, even if I lived in a world were there was absolutely no chance that I would ever have to use a firearm to defend myself or my family, I would still own guns.   And the same ones I own now.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
          • http://n/a
      « Reply #74 on: February 09, 2004, 12:14:22 PM »
      Okay, fair enough.

But, you "can" hunt and target shoot in most European countries even where there is strict gun control.

Even if you lived on this little island you can shoot targets if you so desire...but hunting is simply not an option, there is nothing to hunt.

What I never want to see is the unrestricted selling of guns and ammunition in "Walmarts" or "Drugs and Ammo" shops (as seen in Phenoix when I was there) in my own country.

I'm not saying you are a bad person or that you shouldn't have the "right" to own guns in your country...just not in mine.

Guns are rooted in American culture and if you don't see yourself as a product of that then I am amazed.  I'm a product of another culture.

Allow me to quote from a very wise, moral, learned American who feels the same way you do about guns (but who used this in a totally different context):

"12th Commandment: Thou shalt not pontificate about another country's social laws simply because they are different from your own."
      Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain