Author Topic: what is up with the 190a5? (caution rant)  (Read 2140 times)

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
what is up with the 190a5? (caution rant)
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2000, 09:05:00 AM »
Funked, humm...ok on the test.G3s had outer cannons and cowl guns removed allways... Still, did that G3 had bomb racks or were not fitted?. They added drag and weighted quite a bit.

Somehow I dont believe that Pyro missed in this matter,as it is a very evident thing.But who knows. I feel it is the way it should, but I admit I am still a newbie in aircraft matters  

Anyway,I always thought that AH's charts were done wiht 50% fuel. Thanks for correcting this.

Jihad, while Fishu may sound (he DOES sound) harsh, he is bassically right. Read citabria's posts. There are a lot of allied plane nuts that simply cant stand a decent competition from a Fw190. They have anchored deep in their mind that the 190 MUST be a brick regardless of all proofs that say the inverse. You, evidently, arent one of those, but the big majory is.

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 08-21-2000).]

funked

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2000, 10:01:00 AM »
RAM - go to my website:  http://members.xoom.com/mikewaltz/F-TR-1102-ND.htm
I got this document from the historical office of the museum at Wright-Patterson AFB (aka Wright Field).  There are about 50 pages but I am too lazy to scan them all.

The plane had no bomb racks.  It was made to be as much like an A-5 as possible.  However the takeoff weight of 8538 pounds is 200 to 300 lbs less than I have seen for A-3 and A-4 with 6 guns and ammo.  A-5 as you know had a longer fuselage than A-3 or A-4, and should be a little heavier.

I don't know that Pyro missed.  He may have some better data than I do.  But the Wright Field speed and climb charts seem to match the HTC charts pretty well.  In any case we are not talking about a huge discrepancy here.  

I just wanted to clarify the situation so that future generations of FM whiners will have some facts to use.    

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 08-21-2000).]

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2000, 10:06:00 AM »

Originally posted by funked:
 A-5 as you know had a longer fuselage than A-3 or A-4, and should be a little heavier.

IIRC, the A5 had a revised lighter wing structure, apart of the lenghtenging of the fuselage.

So I believe the weights of A4 and A5 were quite close because that.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2000, 11:06:00 AM »
Thanks Jeckyll, You beat me too it. That was from robert Johnsons book. he writes about an encounter over England when he encountered a Spit9B and they played a little bit. The P-47 has alot of weight to throw around, this is a BIG factor in giving it its zoom. A seven ton of AC at 350 IAS goes vertical---it aint stopping for a while

Should I post a piece of text in the book where he talks about the installation of the Big Paddle blade prop? He basically says he can climb with anything in the ETO in his P-47.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2000, 11:22:00 AM »
Pork the A5. Pork the P-47.

Leave the G10 alone  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2000, 11:28:00 AM »

There are a lot of allied plane nuts that simply cant stand a decent competition from a Fw190. They have anchored deep in their mind that the 190 MUST be a brick regardless of all proofs that say the inverse. You, evidently, arent one of those, but the big majority is

As is evident by the 4 people that conceded there are some questionable traits in regards to the 190.. in their oppinion.

How about this... most people play the game and adjust to their surroundings.  A minority enjoys spending time bickering over minor statistics.  These people are critical to the game in that they help ensure HTC is kept honest and we apreciate their efforts even if we don't like to admit it.  I just don't see there being any kind of "majority" here.

AKDejaVu

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2000, 12:05:00 PM »

Originally posted by jihad:
Yep,as far as I have seen the favorite 190 defense is the cross control "floppy fish" manuever-looks like a trout on crank.    

I`ve always liked the 190`s-but I won`t fly the a5 due to some of the "suspicious" manuevers it seems capable of.

I've seen it alot...seems the 190 misses the position update due to lag...

one seconds it's upright, the next it's upside down, with no animation inbetween.

Same thing happens during a scissors, but the jerk is less obvious...they jerk either a quarter or an eigth during the flop.

In any case it makes them rather hard to hit. I've never seen an A8 do this.

- Jig

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2000, 02:34:00 PM »
 "What has to do turn rates with warp rolls"

It is nearly impossible to stick stir in precisely a horizontal direction. That means the penalty is E bleed. Remove this penalty, and yanking left and right becomes the ACM of choice

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2000, 03:30:00 PM »
I didn't realize there was and "allied" and "axis" faction in AH.  I just fly flight sims for the fun and challenge.  All aircraft have their strengths and weaknesses.  Wise man once said only ask your craft to do what it can, not what it can't.  Take advantage of what your craft gives you, no matter what it might be.  Thats' the key to winning.  If you ask it to do something it can't, then certainly failure will be the result.  Fly your aircrafts strengths,not it's weaknesses.  The game is fun when two craft of different abilities, such as ROC, roll rate etc. tangle.  The pilots ability to manage e and g's will be put to task.  the loser usually is the one who, loses E first, and fights to the opponents strength.  Just a thought from an old flight sim junkie and aircraft hobbiest <G>
PS:  All craft zoom well in the verticle if the pilot unloads Gs'.  All things being equal speed etc.  the only factor should be inherent drag <G> lousy spelling I apologize <G>
- The Flying Circus -

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2000, 10:27:00 PM »
Being a novice in programming and aircraft,
(In the army we put the prop on top)
I'm thinking through this without all the nasty bias (being self aware enough to know my name isn't Priller)
what other factors go into the physics model?
drag,lift,gravity,thrust,kinetic and potential energy, what would be missing?
(no I don't know, I'm thinking out loud)
is the gravity a constant in the program?
Is velocity a constant? (worth a look, seeing we have reports of speed discrepancies)
Is air density a global value or calculated per in game object?
See there's a lot we don't have enough data on,
HTC does I'm sure, and will sort out any problems when they see them.
In short, go ahead and question things that might need attention, but leave the fighter pilot tough guy image in your virtual cockpit. I'd like to think I deal with partially rational folks, let me cherish my illusions  
P.S. I have seen all planes in this game do a warp roll, it's a net thing, get over it.

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2000, 01:10:00 AM »
In my experience, I have noticed that the 190 (don't know which the a5 or a8) seems to warp more often than other planes.  

This from an adversarial stand point and for all I know a simple coincidence.

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"My Motto: Just have fun!!!! "
Swager

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2000, 08:34:00 AM »
I am certainly a FW fan. And I fly the A5 a fair amount. But there is something weird, It looks like pilots can induce warp in it. This attracts a dweeb contingent to the plane that makes it less desirable for me to fly. Please give this ability to some other plane so these people will fly that instead of my favorite ride..

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2000, 09:04:00 AM »

Originally posted by -ammo-:
Thanks Jeckyll, You beat me too it. That was from robert Johnsons book. he writes about an encounter over England when he encountered a Spit9B and they played a little bit. The P-47 has alot of weight to throw around, this is a BIG factor in giving it its zoom. A seven ton of AC at 350 IAS goes vertical---it aint stopping for a while  

Should I post a piece of text in the book where he talks about the installation of the Big Paddle blade prop? He basically says he can climb with anything in the ETO in his P-47.

Those myths have been around for a while. it's quite sad to see people use them as a prove that "their" aircraft outpreformed "others"

From Gabby Gabreski at WB con - best pure fighter of WWII - Spitfire 9.
Fighter for fighter it was the best.

Is that good enough ?

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2000, 09:25:00 AM »

It is like a marathon runner who trains with a 50lbs weight handicapping him,when he quits the weight he can run like in a dream.

Show me a marathoner that does this, and I will show you a marathoner who watches the run on T.V.  

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2000, 09:30:00 AM »
Pongo:

the overall performance of teh A5 has so many newly converted dweebs flying it that I have a very hard time taking it up. I agree with you.

A8; very few warp rolls. A5; many  more, plus dweebier pilots.

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime