Author Topic: Gay Parenting  (Read 4136 times)

Nakhui

Gay Parenting
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2004, 04:00:28 PM »
Originally posted by Kieran
For cryin' out loud, try to understand. Just try. I am not saying a person cannot be gay without influence. I am saying children are influenced by their parents' behavior.

You're right some are - not all.

Parents do influence bigotry, racism, and stupidity.
The religous right wing is a good example of this!

Ok... so if the parents are not gay and the child turns out to be gay.... How did the parents influence that? What is that proof of.

But if the parents are gay and the child grows up to be gay - you'll say that's because of the parents?

I worry more for children who seem to be in "moral" homes but are really being molested by their "parents."

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2004, 04:22:26 PM »
You cannot prove this. Thrawn will pop in any time with the Canadian government's research, but the supposed genetic trait is only theorized.

Source: WebMD

Most scientists today agree that sexual orientation is the result of a combination of environmental, emotional, hormonal, and biological factors. In other words, there are many factors that contribute to a person's sexual orientation, and the factors may be different for different people.

However, homosexuality and bisexuality are not caused by the way a child was reared by his or her parents, or by having a sexual experience with someone of the same sex when the person was young. Also, being homosexual or bisexual does not mean the person is mentally ill or abnormal in some way, although there may be social problems that result from prejudicial attitudes or misinformation.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 04:32:26 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2004, 04:26:34 PM »
Alot of people go crazy supressing their sexuality. they think the feelings they feel are bad,evil satans work! so they must kill kill kil.
Like hoover.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2004, 04:45:06 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
Holy crap Lions!  Did sandman, the lefty from the left coast, just say what I think he said?  

Please, tattoo that statement onto your forehead and look at it often.  :)

FWIW, I'm more libertarian than liberal. :aok
sand

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2004, 06:54:00 PM »
You know another thing the bible calls an abomination right?
Eating shellfish
Yes thats right, according to the bible eating shellfish is right up there with gay marriage.
Better start passing laws banning the eating of shellfish if we are going to make laws banning gay marriage.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2004, 07:51:41 PM »
At this rate, the government is going to start making priests use shellfish in their religious ceremonies.  ABOMONATION!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2004, 08:00:32 PM »
Most scientists today agree that sexual orientation is the result of a combination of environmental, emotional, hormonal, and biological factors. In other words, there are many factors that contribute to a person's sexual orientation, and the factors may be different for different people.

Whew. For a second there I thought you had some proof.

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
Thrila is a spit dweeb
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2004, 08:04:49 PM »
Originally posted by thrila
Irrational thinking?

Believing in something written by man proclaiming it to be the word of God sounds irrational to me.

HEHE you big spit dweeb. :)  
I agree whole heartedly..............

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely
 inspired book that is admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his
 neighbor.
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2004, 08:23:06 PM »
Whew. For a second there I thought you had some proof.

There are only two medical proofs... birth and death. The rest is just statistics. :)

Here's some interesting reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_basis_for_homosexuality
sand

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2004, 08:26:29 PM »
I live in the world, and I have to accept my morals cannot be forced upon others. Sadly, the reverse cannot be said.

I just cant get past these words of yours. How does a free citizens choice force you to accept their morals?
Do you not believe in the constitution?
It is you who wish to force others to accept your values. This is glaringly apparent. Anyone one who doesnt conform to your religious beliefs is forcing their beliefs upon you? Yet you would prefer the law of the land to follow your beliefs which would force them upon others.
Allowing people to marry whom they choose is a simple matter of freedom for all and nothing more.
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2004, 08:26:30 PM »
Hey, I'll readily admit there just might be a genetic link to homosexuality. I think it's wrong to argue it as a fact, therefore negating any behavioral arguments. First, it isn't "fact"; second, it wouldn't negate behavioral effects if is true.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2004, 08:32:07 PM »
Originally posted by Silat
I just cant get past these words of yours. How does a free citizens choice force you to accept their morals?
Do you not believe in the constitution?
It is you who wish to force others to accept your values. This is glaringly apparent. Anyone one who doesnt conform to your religious beliefs is forcing their beliefs upon you? Yet you would prefer the law of the land to follow your beliefs which would force them upon others.
Allowing people to marry whom they choose is a simple matter of freedom for all and nothing more.

Get in line, brother. No pushing.

To a believer, it's like this; the world is the world, we have to live in it to a point, but we are to remember we are a people apart. I don't expect to conform to your way of thinking on this issue, and I don't expect you to conform to mine. I tend to be a bit proactive, and I see where this is heading WRT what happens next. Gay marriage isn't simply about gays getting married; it's about normalizing the behavior, making it acceptable to all. To what lengths the gay movement will go to feel satisfied it is mainstream is what concerns me. I see a time where the ACLU or courts tell churches how they have to run in order to be fair to citizens of this country. Outlandish? Maybe not. Examples already exist in our society of government interference in supposed autonomous institutions.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2004, 08:34:24 PM »
Sure, for some people homosexual behavior is a matter of choice. For some, it might not be.
sand

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2004, 08:49:15 PM »
The exact cause of gender identity disorder is not known,

Thank you, I rest my case. That's about as credible as "sexual addiction".

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Gay Parenting
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2004, 08:55:24 PM »