Author Topic: Small Maps – a Creeping Process. Hmmm…  (Read 11372 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Small Maps – a Creeping Process. Hmmm…
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2004, 02:26:53 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
that it's no use trying to do what the furballers do, which is to try to convince folks that their favourite map design is the panacea to all gameplay woes, for all the reasons given.

You may have been reading them for years, but it's clear you're not reading for content.

As many have pointed out to you repeated, we don't give a fig how you play. Just allow us the simple pleasures of the furball on all the maps.

The thrust of furballer commentary has been for maps that allow ALL the various styles of gameplay. You either continue to ignore that or fail to understand it.

AKD is perhaps the absolute worst for furballing. However, it wasn't necessarily always this way; the fuel damage/resupply equation hurt AKD and Big Isles more than the others. NB's redesign of Trinity helped it a lot in this regard as well.

So, really, once yet again, it's about having maps that allow for all styles of play. AKD and Big Isles really do not, given the imbalanced fuel destruction/resupply equation.

BTW, Beet......... your recent rash of fuel porking/logoff complaints jas broght many a smile. Keep it up. Ol' Shifty. ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2004, 05:28:32 PM »
If you log off simply because a certain map is up, then you've got bigger problems with AH than just the map.  I definitely prefer the smaller maps, but I can find something fun to do on any of the maps.  The only things I dislike about the big maps is that it's sometimes cumbersome to look over the situation on the clipboard since they're so big, and that pizza is just damned ugly - but then, I've never been a big fan of desert schemes.  I agree that 7 goons to bring fuel above 25% is overkill.

by Beet1e:
So instead of trying to tweak existing maps, I say keep all the maps we've got and use all of them. All I ask is that the map rotation policy be balanced and fair.

by Beet1e:
We've gone from having 20% of the time being allocated to the original small maps to a situation where almost 50% of the time is allocated to a small map.

So by your own word, small maps are up 50% of the time, which leaves the other 50% for the big maps.  Sounds "balanced and fair" to me.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline 59bassman

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2004, 05:49:08 PM »
Is It possible to just play and enjoy the game?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2004, 06:27:10 PM »
Mr. Toad,

You still haven't grasped the fact that closer field spacing (to allow furballing) has a detrimental effect on other gameplay styles. I don't expect a furballer to understand that. Heck, half of them equate fuel porking to strat play. :rolleyes:

If having closely spaced fields was universally beneficial - to all players and all play styles - we would have that by now, on every map. But it isn't, and so we haven't.

I just checked the MA to see what's happening - the pic shows what I saw. Note the long green bardar and short red one in one sector, and the long red one and short green one in another sector not far away. Look at the green blob forming NW of 44. Look at the message popup window at the right hand side. I looked at all this and logged off. I've got more interesting things to do right now than to participate in this mess. Sleeping, for example.

Toodle-Pip! :)

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2004, 06:43:09 PM »
I was wondering,has anyone ever considered having a large map main arena,and a small map arena at the same time.That would give the map whiners a chance to whine about something else.This remedy is far too reasonable,and therefore it can't possibly be considered.The possiblities are too numerous to count.Just imagine,no cussing arena.No whining arena.Old mans arena,for me!Ah I could go on forever.
IronDog

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2004, 07:14:10 PM »
beet, the reason for the vocal dislike of the pizza map can be gleamed from your screenshot.  In your instance the blobs are less dynamic, they ebb and flow, but the fields are close enough together that when the average joe logs on and wants to find a fight....that fighht will still be there when he arrives.
On pizza, the blobs are farther apart (and still avoiding each other), but when average joe sees a possible destination for a fight guess what?  When he gets there, either nobody is there, there are all friendlies, or all enemies there.

I dont consider myself a 'furballer' but I also dispise flying around for 50 minutes trying to find a decent fight, while avoiding the roving hordes.  The fuel issue isnt limited to the small maps either, and maps with long roving front lines with large field spacing just requre less porking to make the fuel endurance ineffective.

That said, I like the terrain on pizza, and depending what fields the front lines fall between, there can be some great fighting.  But if I log on and and the front lines are not near those good spots, I log off.  I consider it an equal waste of my time to fly around endlessly with little sadisfaction.

So I dont really see how these guys requests for mods can be that unreasonable, very few well thought out field placements would probably make a difference in manys opinion of that map.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2004, 07:27:48 PM »
Beet you fail to grasp the fact that guys just interested in the fight don't mind everyone else doing what they like best.

They just don't want to have the furballing option eliminated. As has been repeatedly pointed out with the present imbalance between fuel destruction and resupply, the AKD/Big Isles maps just about eliminate the hopes for a good furball.

They just don't want to have the furballing option eliminated. As has been repeatedly pointed out with the present imbalance between fuel destruction and resupply, the AKD/Big Isles maps just about eliminate the hopes for a good furball.

There, maybe it will sink in now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2004, 07:55:34 PM »
So, your saying that guys who like furballing refuse to let anyone else fly the way they want to?  How do they feel about having the furballing option removed?  Could you at least try to be more clear next time, sheesh!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2004, 09:50:07 PM »
So, Toad what you are saying is :

Is that right? :D

BTW I agree with ya

Sour

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2004, 04:11:52 AM »
Murdr - I accept your point of view. All of those green dots look like they're about to have fun - their kind of fun. And it has to be said that many folks in AH enjoy vulching, and enjoy steamrollering and enjoy suicide fuel porking. If not, they wouldn't do it. But that kind of "fun" wears thin after a very short time. On the pizza map the front line is spread across many bases. This at least makes for more evenly matched engagements, 1v1, 2v2 etc. What chance would I have of finding that on the map in the above screenshot? Erm... well none, actually. People are forced down the furball road and forced to contemplate the hordes/steamrollers and forced to deal with suicide duel porkage -  assuming they don't log off, that being the choice I normally make in that situation. As soon as the friendly side starts to get the upper hand, the vulchers are drawn by that big green bardar. Of course, that same thing happens on pizza. The difference is that there are more choices on AKD/pizza. There will be another battle at the embryonic stage in another part of the map, or there will be a GV battle going on somewhere. But on the small maps it's furball or nothing. Do you get that, Mr. Toad?

It's furball or nothing! It's furball or nothing! It's furball or nothing! It's furball or nothing! It's furball or nothing! It's furball or nothing!  It's furball or nothing! It's furball or nothing! It's furball or nothing! It's furball or nothing!

And I don't mind! I'm glad some people are happy, and clearly enjoying themselves on this small map. I am quite prepared to take the week off when those small maps are due to come up while those guys have their fun.

But what does irk me (and the reason for this thread) is when the week allocated to the pizza map becomes yet another small maps week. I'm not alone in enjoying the pizza map. See what WildThing said in my sig. And there are many others. This week we've been robbed, at the same time being told by the furball nannies that we should be enjoying ourselves on the small maps because they offer more choice. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 11:02:43 AM by beet1e »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2004, 09:04:34 AM »
there is no map or no field spacing that does not allow the timid sky accountants and talentless to cherry pick and hide from each other.  The problem for the sky accountants is that when the fields are closer together then people are ignoring them and having fun...  

the sky accountants can allways find a place with fuel and no activity to take off...  they can hide from every decent fight they see all night on any map we have.   The problem is that if the people  in inferior planes aren't spred out then the sky accountants have to come down and take a chance to kill them... thier entrance and running away after their sissy little shot at the slower, older planes is dangerous.... not so many players stuck slow and far from home.  That is why they don't want players to have any choice.

still... they can hide from each other all night long on any map we have.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Out of the frying pan, and into the fire
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2004, 11:20:01 AM »
Lazs. That post above ^ looks like a C&P from any of your other threads. I'm convinced you've started drinking again! Mr Toad should make a pencil mark on the label of his Macallan bottle.

Well, you know what they say, Furballers. Be careful what you wish for - you might just get your wish. So for you there is good news and bad news: The pizza map is gone - but big isles is up in its place! :lol:lol

:rofl

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2004, 12:31:28 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
This at least makes for more evenly matched engagements, 1v1, 2v2 etc. What chance would I have of finding that on the map in the above screenshot? Erm... well none, actually.

Why Beet, if that's what you are looking for, you should GO TO THE DA!

:rofl

Lordy, it's fun throwing your own words back at you!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2004, 12:52:52 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Why Beet, if that's what you are looking for, you should GO TO THE DA!
ROFL! Mr. Toad! :D

Actually, there was no need to go to the DA. I upped a P47D25 and joined some squaddies trying for a capture on A23 of the AKD/pizza map. It was a straight fight between our field and their field. No P51 interlopers from the field next door or anything of that sort. I brought bombs but had to dump them when a high zeke appeared from nowhere. Killed a 190 who, after some impressive evasives claimed to have been typing, then someone else got the zeke, I finished de-acking the field and provided cap till reinforcements arrived, at which point I returned to land my five kills.

Three things I noticed that were most unusual: I saw no enemy P51 or LA7, there were no interlopers once we had the field capped, and I was able to land without some LA7 opportunist vulching me from the field next door. Oh, and the fuel wasn't porked anywhere. ;) I almost forgot I was playing Aces High! :lol

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2004, 12:55:52 PM »
So Beet, no interlopers... in other words you were free to vulch, without interruption.  You do it in the name of "capping" but you were just an opportunist yourself.  *sniff*  I smell a hypocrite.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve