Author Topic: got one of my little commie guns today..  (Read 3886 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
got one of my little commie guns today..
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2004, 10:31:51 AM »
I think you should look into a 40.  I think you will outgrow the 9mm's if past experiance is any indication.  At 21 your son probly has a lot better eyes than you do.   My son is 34 and I have to really strain to outshoot him... on clay birds he slaughters me.   He is large but probly more recoil conscious than me... he used to like 9mm but now has a sprigfield a1 in .45 that he loves.  He thinks my 44's are neat but a little stiff in the recoil.  

everyone wants semi autos but.. I still believe a good .357 is a better choice for most people.  It can shoot a wide range of ammo and is more accurate than any but the most expensive semi autos at close range (15 yards) and much more accurate than even the best at 50 yards.   It can shoot 38 specials at 750 fps that you won't hardly feel go off or .357's at allmost 1500 fps. that will kill a bear.

even if you get a semi auto later you will not have outgrown the revolver...  For me... I have simply substituted 44 mags for .357 mags.   both .45 and .44 use large pistol primers for one thing.

for my Walther ppk in .32 and my Makarovs... I use factory ammo that I buy by the 1000.   The 45's and 44's I reload and they are very easy calibers to reload for.

lazs

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2004, 10:34:23 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
russian... was it a bulgarian?  circle 10 near the serial number...  Was it covered in cosmoline?    Looks like you have bought wolf ammo.

I wouldn't buy a full sized pistol in 9mm.   The 40 is probly the best round out there for most people for semi autos.    I like 45 for full sized autos and 32 or (now) 9.2x18 for the blowback small autos.

I really like revolvers tho..  my cut down 44 mag is perfect.   My Kimber 45 is reliable with a decent round tho and it is very flat and accurate.  good nite sights.

lazs

Yes, it is bulgarian. What is cosmoline? It was covered in what it looked like factory grease for long storage. I haven't check year this one made in. I'll do that today.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2004, 10:37:46 AM »
maybe that sounded a little "know it all"  didn't mean it to come out that way but I have a lot of years with handguns and I made some expensive mistakes...

The 9mm ammo is cheap... If I wanted to keep a 9mm it would be because it had historical significance... Maybe a Walther P38 or another luger even tho the luger is one crappy design... it is fun to watch tho and intricate enough to facinate.   Both the p38 and luger have the front sight on the barrel.. this makes them very accurate IMO.

40 ammo is dirt cheap now too by the 1000.. not much difference between it an9mm price wise

go to ammoman.com to see.   45 is no longer cheap so I reload... 44 mag never was but I like my reloads a lot better than factory stuff in any case except for hydroshocks for anti personnel.

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2004, 10:42:50 AM »
russian... yes, the grease is cosmoline a common preservative.. hard to get off..  I used paint thinner followed by aerosol brake cleaner and then coated everything inside and out with breakfree clp.  the year of manufacture is the first two numbers of the serial with 1960 added to em.... 26=1986 say.  don't ask me why.

iron... the maks are blowback and only slightly less powerful than the 9mm or 9x19.   At 15 yards it may outshoot the beretta or the glock..  it is half the size.

lazs

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2004, 10:51:35 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Considering a Beretta 9MM for my first purchase. Comments?

Little to fat to want to carry. I'd much rather carry a 1911 (which I do everyday).

If you are going to go with the beretta atleast get it in a 40s&w...

Much hotter rnd for carry and in my opinion when it comes to a carry gun, Bigger is better in regards to caliber.

Most of the cops that come in out 2 stores all carry a 40S&W of some sort. Most carry SIGs, others use Glocks. Both are excellent guns.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2004, 10:56:54 AM »
I've gotten my wife interested and gonna sign her up for a basic handgun class soon. That should make it much easier to justify adding a few guns to my collection. :)

Thanks for the tips all. And Lazs, you've convinced me on the Mak, gonna try to find one tomorrow at the show.

Already bought a Beretta 92FS Morpheus, I like it.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2004, 11:21:26 AM »
cool... I've had several. I am a 45 guy... Its tough to sway me when it comes that.

Though when someone comes in one of our stores asking which is better I never give opinions. I show them the good and bad of everything they are looking at and let them make a decision.

Here is what I've carry every single day. It never leaves my side.
You dont need anything more than this IMHO.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 11:34:14 AM by Morpheus »

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2004, 11:48:10 AM »
Originally posted by MoRphEuS
cool... I've had several. I am a 45 guy... Its tough to sway me when it comes that.

Though when someone comes in one of our stores asking which is better I never give opinions. I show them the good and bad of everything they are looking at and let them make a decision.

Here is what I've carry every single day. It never leaves my side.
You dont need anything more than this IMHO.

beautiful gun. i have a stainless custom. you mention that one of your stores...are you listed on the internet? im always browsing for guns.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2004, 12:39:43 PM »
hehe, the custom is a nice gun... My brother wants to get one but he is a revolver kid... I like revolvers though I dont carry them. I've just gotten to use to carrying a Gov't that anything else feels, weird..
I have quite a few 1911's. This to me, is perfect for carry. Cheap, rugged, a "who cares if i ding it up" gun... I have a few kimbers, of which all I have carried at one point or another but to me, nothing beats this 360 dollar hunk of iron. But the best of the best of the best are the pre-war 1911's (pre-WW1) I live for the days when a customer brings one into the store that was in his or hers fathers basement for years wrapped up in a greasy old cloth and wants to see it...
This last one I bought, had 3 orininal mags, 2 in the original mag pouch, lanyard strap, shoulder holster that was used to carry the gun on horse back. All three of the mags were filled with nasty old dirty ammo... I love it! The guy brought it into the store in a nasty old shoe box... Imagine my excitement.:D

As for our website. Well we have 2 stores now. New England Outfitters, and the other is Cubeta's Field & Stream. We are working on a website. We had a "front page" up but when i just went to check out the link to post it here it was down. Either that or my father changed the link and I dont know about it...

New England has several ranges working right now, others are still in construction. Right now we have four 21 lane pistol ranges, 1 Pistol range that is used by Police Dept's only. Also in the works is a 100yard indoor rifle range. The rifle range will only be 3 lanes, but can handle up to 50BMG. Also there, is an archery range.
Cubeta's is out latest investment. We baught them out and took over about a year ago. I am sorry we don't have a website up yet. I have been nagging for ages now it seems about how bad we need one but no one listens to lil old me:( The guy working on it... Or so he says, is taking FOREVER and I highly doubt it will ever be done... By him anyways.

Right now we are doing a TON of bissness with gunbroker.com They have everything and anything that has to do with gun and knives and even archery and fishing. Tho, the last three I think you are better off with ebay to search for... GB'r is very easy to use and buy through and for the most part everyone is honest. But like they say... Never trust anyone as far as you can throw em...

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2004, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
russian... yes, the grease is cosmoline a common preservative.. hard to get off..  I used paint thinner followed by aerosol brake cleaner and then coated everything inside and out with breakfree clp.  the year of manufacture is the first two numbers of the serial with 1960 added to em.... 26=1986 say.  don't ask me why.

iron... the maks are blowback and only slightly less powerful than the 9mm or 9x19.   At 15 yards it may outshoot the beretta or the glock..  it is half the size.

lazs

My baby is one year younger then me. (82). I took her to shooting range and I can get good grouping at 30ft. After more practice I'll get good grouping at 45ft. (max distance at range)

What year is your Mak?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2004, 10:36:46 AM »
Mine are all 1986's.  

morph..  I never feel undergunned with a 45 1911 but have had trouble years ago with em.   I think ammo has improved ofer the last few decades as well as magazines... back when you could buy any colt 1911 (the only 1911 style available) for 75 bucks... they jammed a lot.   not many people felt semi autos were reliable.   I have the Kimber now and am very happy with it..  much more accurate than any other 1911 I havew ever shot including some high end customs that would only shoot 200 grain semi wadcutters (what a waste).    It feed every type of ammo and every magazine I have every jammed into it.  I trust it but...

I like revolvers.. If I have to carry I want somethng smaller.  depends on the situation tho.   I keep the kimber with me in the house... it has excellent night sights.   It is a Kimber eclipse custom II

lazs

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2004, 01:31:55 PM »
Putting off my visit to the gun show until tomorrow. Hoping I can find of those there.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2004, 02:04:21 PM »
Picked up a new Glock 21 at the show. Saw a few of the Makarovs but none for less than $179.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2004, 05:44:38 PM »
Just gettin' ready for the zombies GScholz. ;)

Think the Glock finished off my gun budget for the next few months. I have been looking at the 1911s though. There are so many brands and prices that I won't buy one until I've had a chance to study them more.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2004, 08:20:46 AM »
went to my brothers house and shot yesterday.  I only brought the commie gun and my 4" Ruger redhawk in 44mag (cut down from 7 1/2")   My brother had his uncut redhawk and we killed a lot of paper and wood and clay.   Great time and I only had to clean 2 guns when I got home.

I like 1911's ok but... I have never liked on as much as the Kimber I bought.   It's expensive but so is ammo.   over the years it doesn't make sense to have a gun you don't like.

lazs