Author Topic: Worst thing EVAR about AHII  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Worst thing EVAR about AHII
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2004, 11:01:10 AM »
landing needs to be harder, grass needs to be softer with different planes reacting differently to the grass

runways need to be able to be cratered with plane damage when you roll into one

vh's need refueling locations for the planes that can land/take off from grass

and the fog needs to be removed from CT - just thought I'd throw that in :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2004, 11:15:18 AM »
I agree with the whole airfield.  You make it home you you should get the landing.  We should get bonus points for landing a shot up busted up plane as well, rather than getting penalized for milking it home and missing the runway by a few inches.

One thing I do, is when I know a runway landing is not going to happen due to a missing wing tip or the like I put it down at the VH.

I also agree, we should be able to refuel at VHs, and craters in the runway should affect  landing and takeoff.  Although I could see this as a big problem when you have dweebs constantly bombing the runways so no one can fight and limiting the fighting is the death knell for this game.
The problem is the runway becomes nothing after that. People will never bother to line up for a good landing and that just gets gamey. If they made a grass landing tear the undercarriage off your plane, then they may have something.
Baloney, if that were the case you would see people landing anywhere and taxing to the runway.  One of the most addictive things is landing a plane, especially in real life.  There is not greater feeling than a greaser.  I find this true in sims as well.  

BTW what do you care if people don't use the runway.

I do agree there should be hazards if you are off the runway.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 11:24:49 AM by mars01 »

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2004, 11:47:27 AM »
The parameters are simple and everyone knows them.

If you can't get to the runway, then you didn't plan properly or you have a damaged aircraft.  Either way you knew that if you missed the tarmac you were gonna get a ditch.  So you tried hard and failed to get her down where you knew you had to be.

...but you still want the reward for failure?

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2004, 11:51:05 AM »
Only Score potatos land anyway.....

:D

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2004, 11:55:06 AM »
re: runway craters, HT answered they'd not be feasible for the server and players to keep track of.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2004, 11:55:27 AM »
If you return to base with a critically damaged plane (i.e. missing control surfaces/tailgear/engine etc.) and do not actually land it properly (i.e. on the landing gear) and instead do a belly landing, you should get a "ditched" penalty anyway.

To ditch a plane is to force land it in water.  Of course it makes sense to expand that definition to mean any forced landing.   I've never heard of landing a damaged plane at an airfield referred to as a ditch.  

If you are able to bring your plane home and land it, you have not performed a forced landing and you should not penalized with a ditch.  As far as a penalty for damage, maybe there should be a penalty for running our engines so hard they'll need an overhaul after every flight.  

As mars01 points out, there is nothing stopping someone from landing on the grass now without penalty so long as he doesn't .ef until he stops on a runway or taxiway.  But what is the advantage of even doing this?   It's much easier to land on the runway where there are no obstacles to clip.

What is gamey is deciding to ditch your damaged plane in a field rather than try to fly it a sector through enemy planes to the nearest friendly field because you know that if you lose directional control during landing you will have just wasted your time, as the game doesn't make a distinction between stopping on the grass 30 miles away from the field or 100 feet from the control tower.

ra

Offline -MZ-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2004, 12:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by ra
game doesn't make a distinction between stopping on the grass 30 miles away from the field or 100 feet from the control tower.

It does.  If you're in enemy territory, you get captured.  This gives the enemy a kill credit and affects scores, so there is an incentive to try to get close to a friendly base before ditching.

Offline SLCR

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2004, 01:21:15 PM »
Also watch out for those re-arm buildings.  I was re-arming my 38 and clipped the building with my wing ( 38 wing use to go over the little crapperhouse in AHI) I then spun around curling up my left prop then flipping over causing a "You have ditched" with 6 kills.

-SLICER

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2004, 01:32:34 PM »
those outhouses are overmodeled!

I care about how people land, because it makes a difference when you are chasing the enemy back to the base.  If they could just land it anywhere, they would not have to putz around looking for the runway, or line up and land correctly.  It also just looks silly.  But to many I suppose looks dont really matter.

Eagler, what is up with the fog!  it was not so bad on tuesday (i could see blue above me) but it was still relatively thick.  Have you heard what the heck they were thinking?

Offline Adogg

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2004, 01:49:07 PM »
Originally posted by ra
To ditch a plane is to force land it in water.  Of course it makes sense to expand that definition to mean any forced landing.   I've never heard of landing a damaged plane at an airfield referred to as a ditch.  

I knew someone was going to point that out. But it's game terminology right? Technically its a crash landing or a belly landing etc etc.  

Point taken.

I don't think it changes the fact that the impact on scoring is correct in its application.  Just because engine wear isn't modeled doesn't mean that other structural damage because it is modeled shouldn't be applied to your score.

You break it you buy it. :D

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2004, 01:55:05 PM »
Nursing a beat up crate back and landing her dead stick in the middle of your field and getting a ditch with kills blows.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2004, 01:56:51 PM »
You should be landing on carriers anyway slash! ;)

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2004, 01:58:24 PM »
To ditch a plane is to force land it in water. Of course it makes sense to expand that definition to mean any forced landing. I've never heard of landing a damaged plane at an airfield referred to as a ditch.
Exactly
What is gamey is deciding to ditch your damaged plane in a field rather than try to fly it a sector through enemy planes to the nearest friendly field because you know that if you lose directional control during landing you will have just wasted your time, as the game doesn't make a distinction between stopping on the grass 30 miles away from the field or 100 feet from the control tower.
Thats right there is no incentive to  nurse a plane home when you know there is a 90% chance that you are going to get a ditch anyway.  Personally I like the challenge so I try to get it home and on the runway.  It's the ones that you get there land on the runway and like ra said you come to stop two feet off the runway and get a ditch.  Totally lame.

but you still want the reward for failure?
That's what's being debated.  I don't think that this is a failure.  You got it home, you got it on the ground whithout getting killed, you walked away.  That is the success.  The old attage is Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2004, 01:59:23 PM »
Originally posted by Adogg
I knew someone was going to point that out. But it's game terminology right? Technically its a crash landing or a belly landing etc etc.

No, technically it is a FORCED landing, ie you had no choice but to land off field somewhere.  Out of fuel, engine dead, bad weather, whatever.   Damage is not a necessary condition.  The current ditch criteria don't take this into consideration.  

Instead of saying "you have ditched" it should say "your plane did not come to a stop on friendly tarmac."

ra

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2004, 02:01:59 PM »
You should be landing on carriers anyway slash!

I get lazy in the MA:D

I don't think that this is a failure. You got it home, you got it on the ground whithout getting killed, you walked away. That is the success. The old attage is Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.  

Yep.