Author Topic: Worst thing EVAR about AHII  (Read 1864 times)

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Worst thing EVAR about AHII
« on: June 23, 2004, 08:11:37 PM »
You manage to land your damaged plane and skid 10 feet off the side of the runway: you have ditched.   Shouldn't this have been changed by now??   :eek:

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 08:26:11 PM »
Keep dreaming!

But yep I agree.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 09:07:20 PM »
You've got to set a boundary between landing and ditching somehow.  Today you move the move the buffer out ten feet to accomodate the guy who skidded off the runway, and tomorrow you'll have people whining about expanding it again because  they just skidded ten feet outside of the newly expanded area.

Better to keep it simple and sweet.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 09:21:14 PM »
I ditched at a vehicle base and got a landed successfully lol. I got a film of the landing too and it aint pretty -bounced up in the air and lost wing  hitting a hill before skidding to a stop :D

Offline Purzel

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 01:10:54 AM »
Hmm, my idea would be that you make the landing-area pretty genrous. Like the whole Airfield.

But, if you damage any part of your plane on landing (maybe save the engine, when a gear is damaged) you ditch, on the runway or not.

This would get ppl to try to land correctly, and on the runway (because there are so many obstacles and just survivng wouldnt be enough) but if you manage to nurse a damaged plane home you dont have to stop within runway-boundaries. Or if you run out of fuel just so that you cannot turn on the engine and roll onto the runway.

What do you think?

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 02:14:31 AM »
Well I am a lazy guy.

If my plane skids 10 feet from the runway, my pilot would not want to WALK the distance, but rather shoot him self ;)

I land a lot on the runway, breaking every part that is breakable :P

First the prop hits the ground, and there goes the engine.
Now I can see I have too much speed, so I stear to the side holding the break, and the plane tilts on the wing, that snaps off.

After skidding around the runway, loosing different parts, I get a "landed successfully" (but spelt correctly).

They should change THAT in stead :lol

"You have 'landed' but the mechanics beat you up, and yor co grounded you for ever"

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 02:36:19 AM »
On the other hand u can screw up totaly and crash on the rwy and still get the "succesfull Landing"  message.

Offline Adogg

• Copper Member
DITCHING IS AS DITCHING DOES. SKID OR NOT.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 09:35:47 AM »
If you return to base with a critically damaged plane (i.e. missing control surfaces/tailgear/engine etc.)  and do not actually land it properly (i.e. on the landing gear) and instead do a belly landing, you should get a "ditched" penalty anyway. It doesn't matter if you got it on the tarmac or not.  That aircraft would be out of commision for however long it took mechanics to fix it/procure supplies etc. By incurring a cost on your country's resources it should be reflected somehow in the scoring - and it is.

This is by far the most god-aweful whine I've heard ever! Practice landing offline or something - its easier than learning ACM.

What? Did you go to the al Qaida school of aviation? Landing? Who needs to land?

Dweebs. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 09:49:08 AM by Adogg »

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 10:13:11 AM »
So, everytime you loose a gear, your going to get a ditch??? No matter what??

Offline Adogg

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 10:17:03 AM »
That's what ditching is more or less so yeah. Ditching wasn't related to how close you were to an airfield, it was the nature of the landing. i.e. if you lose a wheel in combat and can't land the aircraft had to be ditched. In real life there was no point system attached to it so basically "any landing you can walk away from..." was the general sentiment after getting your mount perforated by enemy fire.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 10:20:06 AM »
I see.. I dont agree but right on!!   LoL I dont agree cause I loose my gear all too often.. lol But your point seems valid nuff..  8)

Offline Adogg

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 10:27:44 AM »
Just think of it this way:
The bastard who shot off your gear doesn't get the kill and you got to live to kill him another day.:aok

Frankly I love pulling off a masterful ditch, getting a plane down that resembles swiss cheese more than a flying machine can be a perk in its own right.

:)

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 10:29:40 AM »
Why would they not get the kill? Cause I landed at my base? If I land anywhere but my base, they get the kill though, right??

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 10:45:11 AM »
Originally posted by TheDudeDVant
Why would they not get the kill? Cause I landed at my base? If I land anywhere but my base, they get the kill though, right??

makes sense, if you ditch at your airfield, chances are your not dead.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 10:47:37 AM »
The problem is the runway becomes nothing after that.  People will never bother to line up for a good landing and that just gets gamey.  If they made a grass landing tear the undercarriage off your plane, then they may have something.

As it is, you f----d up your landing, you f----d up your score.  Would you like some bread and cheese with that?  

btw if your gear is damaged, dont use it and slide in full flaps as slow as she will go.