Author Topic: Slamming the door shut on porkers...  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Ratnick

• Zinc Member
Slamming the door shut on porkers...
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2004, 10:23:44 PM »
Why is everyone talking about 'suicide' porkers as if that's the only kind of player that hits a field strat? I've rarely seen a suicide dive bomber and I'm not even sure of the definition - a person that dives too fast, drops his bombs at the correct distance, hits the target and doesn't pull up? There's little to be gained in the intenional suicide - if it's intentional in the first place. What's the basis of the complaint? - people should be happy when they see these suicide guys because they will always be less accurate and less lethal than people that pull up and can make that 2nd,3rd & 4th pass.

I've clobbered alot of ground targets in this game and in WB's and I couldn't do it if I intentionally crashed on each jabo sortie.

Reducing a field to 25% fuel does not make it undefendable it prevents or at least limits the possibility of attacks coming from that field. It's well known among base grabbers that you should never pork fuel (or ord or troops) because you want the base intact.

I'm all for putting more emphasis on zone bases and the factories - maybe the refinery should have more effect on the fuel supply on the fields within that zone.

Offline Polaris

• Zinc Member
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2004, 08:50:38 AM »
Originally posted by Leayme
I want the return of total war with all the ups and downs.

If we take out the fuel resources of a base or sector then you have to stoop down to the dirty job of flying supplies and building it back up.

Means you have to THINK about scrambling fighters to intercept a far ranging strike and if you don't then you pay the price in ordnance, fuel, troop and supply shortages.

I would like to see shortages in aircraft at fields that are being pounded or that are having thier factories levelled. Half or quarter loads of ammo instead of an unlimited supply when a field is in dire straits.

A more relistic timeline for hangers and other structures to be built back up.

Now will this appeal to all? No but it would make the game much more interesting and broaden it's player base.

Instead of this straight furball or Air Quake theme that is developing now.

AMEN BROTHER!!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 08:53:25 AM by Polaris »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2004, 09:03:52 AM »
Why is everyone talking about 'suicide' porkers as if that's the only kind of player that hits a field strat? I've rarely seen a suicide dive bomber and I'm not even sure of the definition - a person that dives too fast, drops his bombs at the correct distance, hits the target and doesn't pull up? There's little to be gained in the intenional suicide - if it's intentional in the first place. What's the basis of the complaint? - people should be happy when they see these suicide guys because they will always be less accurate and less lethal than people that pull up and can make that 2nd,3rd & 4th pass.

If the amount of your posts are an indication of how long you have been playing Aces High, then I can understand your confusion. If not, then where have you been flying, 'cause AH I was a constant "fuel pork" ?

A suicide fuel porker will put himself into such a steep dive and pickle the load off at the last second, to avoid any confrontation on the way to target, that they are unable to pull out and promptly plant themselves into the terra firma. They will then re-up and repeat this until the job is done. Oh, and because the pickle their load at the last second, they are very accurate.

It's well known among base grabbers that you should never pork fuel (or ord or troops) because you want the base intact.

Have to agree, but 99% of the time, the base will get porked. When I flew with the MAW, the only things that went down were VH - ack - town. Once that was accomplished, and a CAP was in place, the stragglers would then continue to pork every strat on the field despite repeated request to not do it. "It's my $15 and I will shoot anything I want" was usually the reply.

I'm all for putting more emphasis on zone bases and the factories - maybe the refinery should have more effect on the fuel supply on the fields within that zone.

No were talking real strat !!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Re: Worse than suiciders -- disco's
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2004, 09:14:34 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
I have to agree that most augers on ground attacks are unintentional, especially since I usually see them after embarrassingly bad attack runs. Maybe we notice the "suicide" more because its so freakin' annoying to ty to defend a base that's suddenly become undefendable with the loss of fuel.

Simaril.. Please understand that the only reason i am using your quote is that it is a common one and was here for convient use. So im not directing this towards you per se.
I get just as annoyed at the guys that claim that a base is un-defendable because said base has been fuel porked...Or for that matter the supporting base/bases have been fuel porked. It takes more time and effort to strategically attack a bases supplies than it does to fur-defend a base. Can we say CAP? (Combat Air Patrol) It seems that we have forgotten the true meaning of the Acronym. I think the general population in AH have come to understand that CAP=Vulching. The fuel whiners could sop the porking if they wanted to...or if they were wize enough to pay attention to the unrealistic inflight DAR in AH. :D  By (Patrolling) the grids with formations of fighters and intercepting the incoming attacking fuel raiders. NO?
Again the fights are to be had in these situations. But they require a little more thinking and strategy than the rinse and repeat methods of the "Defenders"
So in conclusion.. Keep current fuel settings and remove in flight Dar? Or change fuel settings back to AH1 settings and keep the Crutch (in flight dar)? Might be a reasonable trade off.
Again...No disrespect intended. Just seems contradictory to me.
Salute :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 09:24:33 AM by Mugzeee »

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2004, 09:14:37 AM »

No were talking real strat !!!

Has there ever been any word from Hitech about the posibility of adding more emphasis on strat at factories to cause a greater effect on individual airfields? Manufacturing industries to effect planesets at different zones and/or bases? Unless HTC has any plans to change these things this conversation is all about nothing.

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2004, 09:16:58 AM »
Air Quake = :aok

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2004, 09:45:53 AM »
Has there ever been any word from Hitech about the posibility of adding more emphasis on strat at factories to cause a greater effect on individual airfields? Manufacturing industries to effect planesets at different zones and/or bases? Unless HTC has any plans to change these things this conversation is all about nothing.
TOD

can someone please define Air Quake?  Preferably one of you that throws the term around so much.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 09:51:13 AM by mars01 »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2004, 09:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
can someone please define Air Quake?  Preferably one of you that throws the term around so much.

It's the phrase that strat-minded players throw around to denote furballing without purpose.  They fail to understand that, for many players, furballing is the purpose.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2004, 10:03:41 AM »
Thanks Lev ruined my troll.  lol:D

I think that whole analogy is stupid and like you said exemplifies the fact that they have no idea what a furball is or what to do with one.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2004, 10:04:30 AM »
The fuel whiners could sop the porking if they wanted to...or if they were wize enough to pay attention to the unrealistic inflight DAR in AH.  By (Patrolling) the grids with formations of fighters and intercepting the incoming attacking fuel raiders. NO?

Can't tell you how many times this has been asked and answered.

Yes it can be done, but who the hell wants to do it. For the life of me, I could not fathom flying around trying to find these porkers, if you find them at all, and then trying to take them down. Most will not dump ord and fight, they will simply nose down and scream right by you and you then have little chance of catching them.

Unless you organize (key word organize) a group of fighters (at least 10), for this objective, then most efforts are in vain. Next time your in Mugzee, call out for pilots that will fly this type of sortie for an extended period of time. Then tell us how many you got and how long did they stay on station. I would love to know the outcome.

I would bet that you would be lucky to get 5 and they would only last at least 2 sorties. With that 5, unless you are in the right place at the right time, you will be completely uneffective.

Bottom line is that fuel-porking is no longer an issue and it should remain that way. Take out all the FHs ... that's more of a challenge then throwing a couple of hundred .50 cals at a fuel bowser.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2004, 10:16:55 AM »
And to add to what slap said,

That style of play,  "up and patrol", is what the snapshots etc are all about.  If you have ever flown one you will know that the majority of the time is spent just flying around.  Now that is okay if your in a real war, there are major  consequences and you need to keep the lives of others safe.  But as long as were in a game, which interupts real life, then the game should maximize the action, not minimize it.  Fuel porking minimizes the fight and is not needed.

The MA is for fighting, or at least it used to be.  Fuel porking stops people from being able to fight.  I am glad HTC has put the emphasis back into fighting.

If you want to take a base and you cant cap kill the hangers.  If you want to stop the offensive kill the barracks.  If you want to stop people from fighting log off.:D

The bottom line is, fuel porking was the easy way to stop a country dead in it's tracks and cause most to log off, now you building battlers have to work a little harder.  Isn't the whole point of this game the challenge?

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2004, 10:40:50 AM »
"I've rarely seen a suicide dive bomber and I'm not even sure of the definition"

Jump in the cv guns for 5 minutes after its been spotted close to a base. Suicide buffs were a common event in AH1...Doesnt matter if you nose down the ack will almost always kill you if your low. I havent seen it as much in Ah2.

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2004, 10:46:28 AM »
Air Quake as defined by Dead Man Flying

It's the phrase that strat-minded players throw around to denote furballing without purpose. They fail to understand that, for many players, furballing is the purpose.

I do believe this is a correct definition. It doesnt underscore the mindless attempt at air combat. When I see a furball I stay away they are full of people who could care less to survive and land a plane with kills or without. There is H2H that can be utilized for this type of game play. Up,Die,Up,Die,Up,Die. Just as silly as suicide porkers. Yes it can be fun, just not my type of gameplay. Try and stay alive every now and then, it can be fun!

And just as fuel limits this for the furballers the current gameplay limits strat function for A2G fliers. There is no right or wrong to either side. There just needs to be a happy medium. And if TOD is what it will take to make it so be it. I will spend my time there when it comes out. I will take my lumps like a pro and look for good 1v1 or 1v2 fights. I dont care if I have to goto 25k to find them, they are there. This new gameplay has taken the goal of enemy defeat away from many.

I saw this new gamplay at its worst  with the knights a few days ago when they were down to two bases. I couldnt help but think, these guys have only 2 bases, no means to resupply them, both are mostly vulched, and the bases cant be taken. This went on for hours and hours. Maybe it was reset I dont know I had to leave. It was just silly gameplay. Smart move on the rook part for keeping a knit base behind lines but still silly gameplay with the inability to take the fields and make the map more playable for all.

I have lost 3 senior squad members from AH2 in the last week. It is really impacting the community. I have a couple of more that are saying they are thinking about leaving also. If this mentality of furball only "Air Quake" gameplay is going to be the norm then so be it.  I will still find my fights elsewhere, just not the style that I enjoy the most.

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2004, 11:26:36 AM »
When I see a furball I stay away they are full of people who could care less to survive and land a plane with kills or without.    There is H2H that can be utilized for this type of game play. Up,Die,Up,Die,Up,Die. Just as silly as suicide porkers. Yes it can be fun, just not my type of gameplay.
So you don't care that your assumption is completely wrong.  Like you said you stay as far away from furballs as you can, so how can you know what they are and what the purpose is.  The fact that you say "they are full of people who could care less to survive and land a plane with kills" is complete BS.  Anyone worth their salt wants to land kills, especially when you went into the snake pit took a few scalps and got out.  The goal of a furball is to survive.  The fact that it takes a lot of skill, good SA and a little luck to do so does not mean that people do not care if they die.  You are completely wrong in this assumption.  

As for H2H being for Furballing, well offline is perfect for dropping bombs, if you want to follow that logic.  The MA is for everyone.  Building battlers and Furballers alike.  The old fuel model stopped furballs.  The new fuel model does not affect your ability to bomb buildings in any other way except now you might have to fight a little more to do it.

Try and stay alive every now and then, it can be fun!
No offense, but try not to assume you have a clue what other people like or do.  I am a building battler, turned furballer cause killing stationary targets put me to sleep, night after night after night.  I expect to live from every furball I enter and land kills.
I saw this new gamplay at its worst with the knights a few days ago when they were down to two bases. I couldnt help but think, these guys have only 2 bases, no means to resupply them, both are mostly vulched, and the bases cant be taken. This went on for hours and hours.
I don't get the problem, what has changed from AH1 that caused this.  What is the new game play?  This was always the case just before a reset in AH1 as well.  That is what is so stupid about resets having to capture all the bases.  Once a country is down to less than fice base, or all the troops and supplies are dead across the country the map should be reset.  Forcing people to play in this scenario is just plain stupid and the worst part of the win the war BS.

I have lost 3 senior squad members from AH2 in the last week. It is really impacting the community. I have a couple of more that are saying they are thinking about leaving also. If this mentality of furball only "Air Quake" gameplay is going to be the norm then so be it. I will still find my fights elsewhere, just not the style that I enjoy the most.
What mentality of furball only.  Are you telling me you and your late squad members could not capture bases in AHII?  How is the choice to furball impacting your choice to land grab.  Furballs do not erupt at ever base at the same time.  Go the other way grab the bases where the furball isn't and if its down to a few bases, what are you saying the country sholdn't put up a defense.  Winning the war has nothing to do with anything other than who has the most players and where they are all concentrated.  If you don't have numerical supremacy and the country you are attacking is condensed to two fields what do you expect?

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2004, 12:09:43 PM »
I saw this new gamplay at its worst with the knights a few days ago when they were down to two bases. I couldnt help but think, these guys have only 2 bases, no means to resupply them, both are mostly vulched, and the bases cant be taken. This went on for hours and hours

Heheh, I was there, GREAT FIGHTS.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..