Author Topic: ENY disablements  (Read 10338 times)

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2004, 01:37:14 AM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo

In another thread I suggested an easy-to-implement alternative. Have the load-balancer only apply to captured fields. If you can advance without needed a huge numeric advantage, then you can fly whatever you want all over the map. But if you can't advance without The Horde, then once you're on foreign soil you lose the benefit of La-7's, etc. from those captured fields. You can still use these planes from homeland fields. Which allows squads to find fights on un-Horded areas of the front closer to these bases. This preserves what HT had in mind without making the wrong people suffer.

I agree with DoKGonZo's idea. If you want to bring your plane of choice up to the front, you could fly it in from 100 miles away or so. It would take you 20 minutes or so to get there and you'd be careful not to loose it.

I general, I just don't agree with the ENY plane limiter idea. I haven't had a chance to fly for a while, and was quite surprised to get the can't fly message.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2004, 04:01:53 AM »
OK so whats the difference between a hoard of lala and ponys coming in from a field 25 miles away at 25k and a field 50 miles or 75 miles away. Still get the endless conveyor belt, with the added bonus of a huge increase in runners.
Of course to bring a lala 100 miles how much time you gonna get over target. Wouldnt affect ponies though. Unless the fuel burn was decreased, but then we're back to the fuel pork issue.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 04:04:04 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2004, 08:33:19 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
OK so whats the difference between a hoard of lala and ponys coming in from a field 25 miles away at 25k and a field 50 miles or 75 miles away. Still get the endless conveyor belt, with the added bonus of a huge increase in runners.

The difference is that someone in the air transiting for a half hour is out of the battle. And if they have 10 min of fuel over the front, they'd hit bingo on fuel and have to hot load at a closer base, which would also take them out of the battle.

But, players would still have the choice of what aircraft they want to fly at all times.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2004, 08:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Of course to bring a lala 100 miles how much time you gonna get over target. Wouldnt affect ponies though. Unless the fuel burn was decreased, but then we're back to the fuel pork issue.

Well I guess it depends.... if it is 3 or 4 sectors... perhaps people would be less apt to the use the planes.....

But remember.... this move isn't REALLY designed to make hi performance planes go away so the underdog has a better chance.  It is designed to inconvenience people so they will change countries.  

You can get mauled by a horde of P40s just as effectively as by a horde of P51s.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2004, 09:06:05 AM »
Originally posted by 4510
Well I guess it depends.... if it is 3 or 4 sectors... perhaps people would be less apt to the use the planes.....

But remember.... this move isn't REALLY designed to make hi performance planes go away so the underdog has a better chance.  It is designed to inconvenience people so they will change countries.  

You can get mauled by a horde of P40s just as effectively as by a horde of P51s.

I like Dok's idea too ... but it would require alot more coding on HTs part to implement, but still believe that it might be worth the effort. Having to fly the late war monsters 2 to 3 sectors to get to the front line and when kiiled, they would have to do it all over again ... yuk !!!

I dislike the idea of changing this to a "perk-um" solution. Adding perks to these rides would only promote MPRE timidiness, which is already a problem.

This change was designed to do both ...

If the imbalanced is not changed due to people refusing, fine, but be prepared to fly the higher ENY planes for attack while the other team has all the performance planes that will eat you for breakfast. This does not balance the numbers, but does level the playing field.

Change sides and balance the numbers and all planes are available, and again, the playing field is level.

I seriously doubt that a horde of P-40s will be as effective as a horde of P-51s. Especially when they run into defenders flying P-51s and La-7s and N1Ks. It wouldn't be a pretty sight.

The object here is to level the playing field which has been completely off the hook for quite some time now.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2004, 09:15:49 AM »

In that case, I guess it's working. I got so disgusted, I logged off. The more guys log off, the better balanced the game becomes. And the more guys log off for good, the more likely a repeat of Air Warrior will happen. That will solve the whole problem.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2004, 09:21:07 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
I seriously doubt that a horde of P-40s will be as effective as a horde of P-51s. Especially when they run into defenders flying P-51s and La-7s and N1Ks. It wouldn't be a pretty sight.

The object here is to level the playing field which has been completely off the hook for quite some time now.

Oh it will make a difference I agree.....if no other reason than bombload.  But if 30 P40s arrive with some alt.... over a base defended by 10 (take your pick) .... that base is going to get hammered.  Most of the mudmovers don't even carry enough gas to go home.  They aren't going to be concerned with what happens after they dive thru and drop their eggs.  They'll just reload and come back again.  Also... I've seen what a P40 does in the hands of guys who can really fly.  I think the issue of whose lunch gets consumed isn't that clearly cut.

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2004, 09:50:46 AM »
ENY is BS!  If the Knits and Bish would ever organize themselves, they could make up for their meager numbers.  That is what the Rooks did some time ago.

If we had a Liberator for a buff, then enying the B17 would not be so bad.  But the '17 is the only viable heavy bomber in the arena.

Any attempt to level the playing field will not be good.  If one cannot organize and improve tactics, then one is doomed as a military unit.

Frankly, if there was a viable alternative to AH, I would go there now.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline Chortle

• Nickel Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #158 on: August 16, 2004, 11:15:26 AM »
Even before the ENY modifier, some people would fly 51s/La7s/190s sectors to a fight, even if their team had a CV already there. I reckon they'd fly any distance if it meant they could keep their preferred ride.

This isn't a dig, well maybe a slight one, just made me laugh :)
Originally posted by roofer
i've made way too many rook friends to up and switch countries.

99% of my time i fly alone

i never have a wingman nor do i feel anyone watches my back.

Some friends eh?

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2004, 11:34:36 AM »
I like Dok's idea too ... but it would require alot more coding on HTs part to implement, but still believe that it might be worth the effort. Having to fly the late war monsters 2 to 3 sectors to get to the front line and when kiiled, they would have to do it all over again ... yuk !!!

I analyzed the implementation in another thread. It's pretty trivial - maybe 5 or 6 lines of code.

Offline roofer

• Zinc Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2004, 01:05:54 PM »
Originally posted by Chortle

This isn't a dig, well maybe a slight one, just made me laugh :)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i've made way too many rook friends to up and switch countries.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
99% of my time i fly alone

i never have a wingman nor do i feel anyone watches my back.

Some friends eh?

ok i may have to explain this further for you.

i rarely up with a wingman say during the day, or if i have only an hour to play. on squad nights i have twenty wingmen, a purpose along with an objective.

when it's not squad night, i tend to fly alone, not relying on anyone to clear my six. thus the fastest plane is most preferable due to my skills, when i get in trouble i cut and run.

if that makes me a dweeb in people's eyes, so what? i usually end up landing my plane rather than getting shot down. i take getting shot down personally and do everything i can to avoid it. sorry i'm not the arcade kind of guy upping turny airplanes, nor am i the "i'm better than you, so i can shoot you down flying a lesser plane". if a guy breaks off my six and i still have fuel and ammo, i will turn back on him.

i need all the help i can get, and i'm not ashamed to admit it.

the rook friends i have made are the kind of guys that will help you out with questions, and give you tips about flying. they also have a good sense of humor and do not fall in the "i'm better than you" catagory. they truely help you out whenever they can, including clearing my six.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2004, 01:49:10 PM »
Oh it will make a difference I agree.....if no other reason than bombload.  But if 30 P40s arrive with some alt.... over a base defended by 10 (take your pick) .... that base is going to get hammered.  Most of the mudmovers don't even carry enough gas to go home.  They aren't going to be concerned with what happens after they dive thru and drop their eggs.  They'll just reload and come back again.  Also... I've seen what a P40 does in the hands of guys who can really fly.  I think the issue of whose lunch gets consumed isn't that clearly cut.

I guess we have to agree that we disagree here.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2004, 01:52:39 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
I analyzed the implementation in another thread. It's pretty trivial - maybe 5 or 6 lines of code.

Come on Dok ... I am a software developer too, and very rarely do things get done in 5 or 6 lines of code ... maybe it is trival, just a gut feeling on my part that it wouldn't be.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2004, 01:58:24 PM »
Come on Dok ... I am a software developer too, and very rarely do things get done in 5 or 6 lines of code ... maybe it is trival, just a gut feeling on my part that it wouldn't be.

No ... seriously ... add an array for "Homefields", a 1-line "for" loop to load each entry with the countryID of the original owner at terrain load up, then add an extra "and-if" clause when determining if the load balancer kicks in to test if the player is at a field originally owned by his country (i.e. if (player->country == homeFields[player->currentField]).) and that's about it.

I don't know what the data structures actually look like, so I'm making some assumptions. But if things are set up the way you'd expect, the above 3 additions should be all you need - more or less.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 02:10:38 PM by DoKGonZo »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2004, 02:38:07 PM »
Dok that dosn't take into account the change of owner ship of fields in the arena.

It would tend to create very hotspot in the terrain.

To make your idea work it would have to be based off from the dist to the nearest enemy field, That creates a problem as I see it when you take a look at the exceptions of no field avaiable.

It also dosn't handle a the case very well where a country is beetin back and then a lot of numbers show up.

AND Btw on your other sugestion of perks being lowered for underdog, they are already, Underdog gets decrease, Big country gets increased.

HiTech